Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grounding / Earthing

Grounding / Earthing

I posted this on the other forums so figured I would do it here as well. so, I recently discovered grounding and have benefited from it a lot. I feel a sense of calmness and peace after i am grounded. Basically what I do is go to the park, take of my shoes and socks, walk around barefoot in the fields and woods, then lay down for about 20 min on my back and soak up the Earth's energy. It really feels great. They say you can get even more benefit when you sleep grounded and I am going to go ahead and purchase a grounding pad for that.

I looked further into grounding and found there are some interesting studies and articles on it and its various effects from boosting the immune system to reducing cortisol. So, i am wondering of sleeping grounded could be a remedy for the cortisol spikes, and other issues, associated with withdrawal syndrome. Here is one study on cortisol and grounding: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15650465
    then this site with various links to literature on groundning: http://www.groundology.com/scientific-research

Anyone else have experience with it? I am finding myself doing it daily now.
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

I really appreciate this suggestion; I would do it but right now it's too cold. Does it work if you are bundled in jackets? Where are you located? How's the weather there? Are you planning to sleep outdoors on the ground? What is a grounding pad? I have done a Native American inspired tree meditation in which you go very slowly through steps of imagining yourself as a tree--the roots, the soil surrounding, etc. This was very grounding. For so many reasons, grounding has always been a difficult challenge for me.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2006 View Post
    I posted this on the other forums so figured I would do it here as well. so, I recently discovered grounding and have benefited from it a lot. I feel a sense of calmness and peace after i am grounded. Basically what I do is go to the park, take of my shoes and socks, walk around barefoot in the fields and woods, then lay down for about 20 min on my back and soak up the Earth's energy. It really feels great.

I am finding myself doing it daily now.
    Bruno--I went back and reread your journal. This post about grounding seems like definite progress. You seem to be better. Do you notice a shift? Did you decide not to go back on AD?
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Bruno--I went back and reread your journal. This post about grounding seems like definite progress. You seem to be better. Do you notice a shift? Did you decide not to go back on AD?
    yes I have def seen some improvement the last week but cant be for sure exactly why as I am doing a couple things and am always trying new things as a way to better my health and well being. Mainly, I had to up my carb intake (I am doing a Paleo/gaps/primal type diet) and so I noticed a difference after doing this. I was eating a lot meat and fats and wasnt getting a lot of carbs so I added green smoothies and more fresh fruits and veggies. I also added some homeopathy called Nat Mur based on an assessment I did with a retired MD who practiced homeopathy. And, as you know, I also began grounding myself daily. I cant say which of these three things helped the most but I can tell you that def the grounding was noticeable right away.

Regarding your other questions, perhaps you can read up on grounding because I dont know too much of the details. I think its necessary to make skin contact to the earth and if you cant do this then use one of the pads. And no, I am not on AD.

This is one of the things I have been very interested in, but have not tried yet. If you get the grounding pad for bed, please do update us on your results.

It's all about the energy. And we are being bombarded by EM pollution now. Plus, there are too many people on the planet -- another kind of energy.

So far, all I've done is move my electric clock from my bedtable, and throw out my electric heating pad.

We who have trouble with psych med w/d may be the ones who are more sensitive to energy.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

This idea of grounding seems so key when it comes to neuro anxiety--the feeling of climbing the walls, chaotic energy, flying off the handle (pick your image).
    Has anyone heard of using crystals to "soak up" (ground?) excess energy? I am doubly looking forward to spring when its warm enough to do this lying on the earth -- grounding. Can you imagine a more pure remedy?

You're right, there is some clue there in the metaphors we use.

Someone gave me a crystal to put by my bed for sleep and better dreams. Can't say that it worked. But, I am very open to the possibilities. We know quartz is piezoelectric. Our member Claudius does a meditation with a green stone that gives him very definite relief. If you feel called to it, I say definitely give it a try.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

i found that one can use grounding bands in place of the pads and sheets. The good thing about the bands is that they are more affordable, like $25 whereas a pad is around $115-135 and a sheet around $150 or so. I emailed some suppliers of grounding equipment and they told me that the bands just take a bit longer to fully ground the body but still do it. So I am going to go this route and continue to go to the park and walk around barefoot as that always helps.

Thanks Bruno--What a great suggestion--just take off your shoes. Well, the "polar bear club" swimmers jump into frigid Arctic waters, so I guess I can walk around barefoot for a few minutes.
    I tend to make things harder than they are--like thinking that I would have to lie half naked on the frozen ground to get some grounding benefit. Gosh, all of a sudden just taking off my shoes seems very doable. I always get the most benefit from walking in nature, parks.In the NW we have beautiful trees
    This reminds me of one of the big false beliefs that I have to get over--it's "all or nothing" type thinking--that I have to do something just perfectly or not at all. Perfectionism ---Ugh!

No lying half naked on frozen ground!

Bruno -- please keep us updated.

-- Holger Kalweit