Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Adverse reaction to SSRI and Alcohol

I cant believe you have come this far on your own m&m, well you not on your own anymore, dont be afraid.

You are over half way through your journey and I bet the very worst is over for you, there will be ups and downs still to come but this tiome we can hold your hand and reassure you through the bed times and you can do the same for us.
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy131313 View Post
    To be honest I dont think the wine made much difference it was simply taking the Citalopram again that caused the reaction. I say this because its what happened to me, its called a kindling reaction. You were in CT withdrwal from the 1 month citalopram use even though you didnt know it. the night you felt out of sorts was your w/d telling you it was there (same happened to me) and the same as you I went back to the drs and asked for the cit back BOOOOOOM all hell broke loose.

More people will adbise you on here but I want to tell you that I understand, I was first put on citalopram during a physical illness, I have never EVER suffered with anxiety or depression. 5 months after stopping the cit cold turley (although I took it for over 2 years) I started to have apnic attacks and anxiety, I went running to the drs to ask for the citalopram and had a terrible adverse reaction.

I also have a child, a beautiful 3 year old boy and Im 32, so we are quite similar, I was a happy confident woman and now Im a shell, but we will recover, you are sook close, read that link I send you and contact me anytime.

Caroline xx
    Iggy, I was doing some reading today and found a medical journal that said that w/d can happen even after only taking the SSRI for 4-6 weeks and then stopping abruptly, and can still happen without stopping c/t and following a plan with the doctor. Now, after taking that into consideration as well as what happened in our case (the severe adverse reaction to the med immeditately upon reinstatement)... I have to admit I'm confused... because when I google "adverse reaction upon reinstatement of SSRI" I just find more stuff about serotonin syndrome (w/d). Charly said that when a person goes on and off the drug the body becomes sensitive to it. So, is our suffering from the adverse reaction? or to w/d? And most of the literature I am reading regarding w/d says that WHEN SS occurs normally reinstating the med will relieve the symptoms within a short period of time. Which in my case is not so. I reluctantly went back to the citalopram 2 weeks after the adverse reaction and took it from March 16, 2012 to April 14, 2012 and I was still not good. The first 2 times I had quit c/t... then the last time my taper consisted of cutting the 20 mg tab in half for the last two days (not the right way). I guess at this point I am way past going back on and doing a slow taper?

How are you doing lately?

m&m – It’s possible that 6 months after Sep 2010, when you were “in a lot of stress,” you were unwittingly having w/d. But we can’t know for certain.

For sure, you are having an adverse reaction or kindling effect from the third time you started the med. But you also might be having w/d from the other two times you started and stopped it.

It doesn’t really matter in terms of symptomology or recovery. The symptoms seem to be the same, And you can recover from either equally fast. You are showing nice signs of improvement. It’s happening!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by m&m View Post
    The first 2 times I had quit c/t... then the last time my taper consisted of cutting the 20 mg tab in half for the last two days (not the right way). I guess at this point I am way past going back on and doing a slow taper?
    in your case, with an adverse reaction, i would not retake and do a slow taper, this would shock again all the system and you could be far worse than you are today; i would wait and do relaxations, yoga etc
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Any form of re-instatement wouldn't be a good idea at that point. Your body has already started to heal and what it needs most now is simply time. The recovery will be happening.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you for the support and you are right. Re-instating would be BAD. (pffft, what was I thinking.... weak moment). Today was a good day and I am rejoicing in it.

Praying healing for us all. It will happen! Basically I'm just so happy to be where I am at this time with showing improvement. I'll take that for now.

How is all this possible? It will be a year next month since the adverse reaction and subsequent “suffering” debilitating anxiety and depression. I am fragile and weary to say the least. Better in MANY ways from that horrible day in March, but still feel physically and mentally damaged. Not a day goes by that I don’t wonder if I will see the confident and happy person that I used to be. At month (9) of the suffering I was diagnosed with cancer and a new concurrent “sentence” began.

I have made improvements in that when this first happened I was frozen with terror and anxiety so severe it hurt to wake up… if I could even get to sleep. I can go places now without feeling stricken with pure fear that I would fall dead with a heart attack or that a panic attack would surely follow in the middle of whatever simple task I would be trying to do. (Before this I was a multi-task type person… loved adventure…travel…etc.) Now I am somewhat happy when I realize I can at least go places (grocery store, doctor, church). How pathetic?

Some positive. I was able to withstand a couple surgeries at month 10 and 11, a hospital stay for the cancer, and now chemo treatments and multiple doctor appointments. For those that know the nature of the beast (the SSRI adverse reaction beast) …. At least in my situation it started with insane anxiety/ akethesia/ terror state and then moved on to symptoms that mimic a major depressive disorder…. And doing these things would have been almost impossible without sedation early on. But even the thought of sedation would have driven me mad with fear. So, I know I have not gone backwards since the A/R but I’m still not where I would like to be. There was a lady’s story that Iggy found on PP and I could really identify with what she said of her adverse reaction …. doesn’t matter how deep you are in hell, you’re still in hell. I couldn’t agree more. I have improved but not to where I want to be. An SSRI took a lot from me. There were lots of good things in my life, I was not some person that couldn’t function in life or had nothing to look forward to. Never had a need for a therapist. My life was filled with hopes/dreams/goals/confidence. A lot I had accomplished and there were still lots of great things I was looking forward to doing. I slept well at night, I enjoyed spending time with my son and loved life. I HAD MOTIVATION. Now, I know what derealization feels like…. this makes me angry and sad. I question myself everyday now…which was never an option before.

Dear M&M,
    You must be a strong person, although you are telling yourself that you're not.
    The fact that you write all of this down, is actually because you're reaching out, because you feel that you deserve better, and you DO!
    The anger is allright. I think it's a good sign. You can do this, and there are people around you who can help you to get through this.
    I hope the treatment for your cancer will make you better, I'm thinking of you. You are more powerful than you know.
    Paroxetine 20mg a day, for 13 years
    Tapered for 6 months
    Off meds since August 27, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by m&m View Post
    So, I know I have not gone backwards since the A/R
    That is very very important, M&M. You're doing incredible job. Step by step.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you guys. I have been in a lot of pain with the chemo side effects this past week. (As if the w/d / a/r wasn't enough right?) Ugggg. This too shall pass.... This too shall pass..... I get better ever day in every way... is that the way the quote goes?

So, I was wondering if anyone has taken Nexium for heartburn before? I started getting heartburn with the first chemo treatment. So the doctor gave me Nexium... I have taken 2 pills so far... then I remembered when I was doing research for the A/R I came across a guy who was given Reglan (which is given for acid reflux) and had an adverse reaction that lasted for a long time..... so I want to be extremly cautious.