Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why fevers can actually be good for you

Why fevers can actually be good for you

(NaturalNews) Fevers are actually the body's way of fighting bacterial infections. So many parents think that they are doing the right thing by rushing for medication to try to 'break' the fever when it strikes, but in actual fact, this is doing a lot more harm than good. Studies have found that aspirin and other fever-reducing medications actually suppress the production of antibodies, thus resulting in the infection lasting for up to 50% longer than it should.

On average, a body temperature of 37C/98.6F is considered 'normal.' This doesn't take into account the fact that children are generally warmer than adults. Recent exercise, dressing too warmly, consuming hot foods, and even the menstrual cycle in teenage girls can cause the body temperature to rise by a degree or two.

Fevers tend to hit their highest point at late afternoon, so if your child's body temperature is slightly higher than normal at that time, it is generally no cause for panic. But if your child awakens and has a low-grade fever, you may want to encourage him/her to stay at home and get some rest, so that the fever can do its job of fighting any infections which may be present.

Causes of fever most commonly include infections, dehydration, vaccinations, medications, tumours, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation and teething in infants.

The only time a fever can do harm is when it rises above 106F/41C. It can them do harm to the brain and heart. Although, during most infections, the brain will do its job of keeping the body temperature at around the 104C/40F mark.

There are however times when medical attention should be sought for high fevers. These include fevers in children younger than 3 months, who have a fever of more than 100.4F. (While waiting for medical attention, try to breastfeed the infant, as mothers' milk contains natural antibodies made at the breast as it comes into contact with the pathogens in the baby's mouth.) Medical attention should also be sought for children between 3 months and 3 years old, who have a fever higher than 102.2F, and for anyone who has a fever higher than 104.5F.

The best course of action regarding fever treatment may be to seek out natural or homeopathic remedies, as these are far safer and pose little to no risk with regards to dangerous side-effects. Over-the-counter medications have been known to cause more harm than good in children.

What can be done to make children feel better during these times is to ensure they get plenty of rest and liquids. Avoid sugary liquids and foods as these can significantly suppress the immune systems' ability to fight the infection. Try not to force them to eat, as they will eat when they are ready. A good home-made chicken broth will normally suffice, as it is easily digestible.

Herbal remedies such as catnip and Echinacea (made into a tea or tincture) help to promote sweating and reduce fevers naturally, while hyssop combined with liquorice root and thyme has also been known to reduce fevers naturally.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031467_fevers_health.html
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

This touches on the topic of healing crises which we were discussing recently. It seems like, up to a point, all symptoms of illness are also attempts by the body to heal. But, after a certain point of severity or duration, symptoms are no longer doing any good. Think of hypothermia, for example, which can get to the point where the body cannot recover. Or anaphylactic shock, which may start as a self-protective mechanism, but then becomes dangerous.

But there is something more I feel we can do with this concept, I just can’t quite see it yet.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

just want to chime in as flu season arrives. Don't know for sure but am thinking a lot of the flu "Epidemic" dire warnings and "get your flu shot" drum beat are possibly within the same paradigm that we here are questioning here. just a thought. I wouldn't knock anyone for getting a flu shot.
    I am taking tumeric as a preventive per my Ayurvedic dr. He wrote a great thing about this which I will try to find.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

No doubt, Annie. I'll go one further, and will say they are capable (and willing) of creating new strands of flu for purpose, and the last thing is "them" wanting to help "us. And no "conspiracy theory" there. Just pure facts. I wouldn't touch *any* vaccine (and 90% of Big Pharma drugs for that matter) with a ten foot barg pole.

What vaccines contain (and that list is far from complete);

http://www.naturalnews.com/037653_va...maldehyde.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    This touches on the topic of healing crises which we were discussing recently. It seems like, up to a point, all symptoms of illness are also attempts by the body to heal. But, after a certain point of severity or duration, symptoms are no longer doing any good.
    Very true, Sheila. Our situation is unlike anything else. I thus urge everyone here to, at the point when it's only possible, and doesn't worsen symptoms as much as in early WD, to take small steps towards doing more; mild exercises (then upping their dose), getting outside to catch some sun, cutting down on the use of painkillers, or avoiding them altogether, doing all you can to occupy your mind, starting using meditation/relaxation techniques, etc. Yes, it's hard, and in a severe, early WD, virtually impossible - I was there, too. It was hell of hells. Breathing, eating, thinking and simply "being" was an atrocious experience. But there comes a moment when you may start seeing some benefit from doing more.

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    just want to chime in as flu season arrives. Don't know for sure but am thinking a lot of the flu "Epidemic" dire warnings and "get your flu shot" drum beat are possibly within the same paradigm that we here are questioning here. just a thought. I wouldn't knock anyone for getting a flu shot.
    I am taking tumeric as a preventive per my Ayurvedic dr. He wrote a great thing about this which I will try to find.
    Yes, indeed. I've gone from getting the flu shot annually to thinking that they have added to my toxic load. And along the lines of the healing crisis, there are a lot of people who can safely have the flu and should have it. It's part of building your immune system. This epidemic of allergies and asthma may be due to people not having some of the childhood diseases.

Looking forward to the turmeric info....
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

wow It is such a blessing to be conversing with such progressive minded people!
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post

Looking forward to the turmeric info....
    Here it is. He was focused on the swine flu but I think there are some good general points.
    http://www.ayush.com/blog.htm

Sunday, August 9, 2009
    Is Swine Flu A Scientific Fact Or Media Frenzy?

With new alerts and warnings being issued on an almost hourly basis - with words like "pandemic" and even "plague" now being used - it's hard not to be concerned about the swine flu outbreak. Although CDC (Center for Disease Control) is on hold issuing next warning and now toned down from the previous warnings. The WHO (World Health Organization) has decided not to raise its alert to a full pandemic, since the virus has yet to cause sustained transmission outside North America. More than 100 people have died in Mexico. But to put this in to perspective, every year more than 36,000 people die with influenza virus.
    Health care authorities, politicians, and media spokespeople cite statistics, issue travel advisories, and point to maps showing the rapid worldwide spread of the virus. While authorities reassure us that a new vaccine is being developed, and anti-flu medications are being "stockpiled," they continue to fuel the fear that we are on the brink of imminent disaster. Most of us are left wondering whether we should travel, visit public places, or send our children to school.

In the face of this growing panic, I believe a dose of healthy skepticism is good medicine. A brief look back at the history of flu outbreaks sheds new light on the current situation. The established public health response to viral outbreaks of the flu in recent years has been less than perfect. The side effects and complications associated with flu vaccines, which can be debilitating or even fatal, are never mentioned. And as usual, herbal, natural and nutritional therapies to prevent and ease the effects of viral infections are almost never mentioned. But it will certainly sell billions of dollar worth of Tamiflu, which yet to prove its effectiveness.
    Although the strain of the flu virus spreading through human-to-human contact today appears to be unique, this is not the first appearance of swine flu. More than thirty years ago, in 1976, a swine flu "pandemic" was declared, and a public health effort was launched to vaccinate millions of people worldwide. As it turned out, the swine flu pandemic never materialized, but the vaccine itself claimed its own casualties. Within a few months after vaccinations began, 25 people had died, and $1.3 billion in claims had been filed by people who suffered paralysis due to the vaccine. Hundreds more developed crippling Guillain-Barré Syndrome, in which muscle paralysis can lead to respiratory failure and even death. Tragically, healthy young adults ended up as paraplegics.

As an Ayurvedic and Naturopathic practitioner, I find events such as these particularly frustrating. The complex balances involved in human health are poorly understood and inadequately addressed in the mainstream medical establishment. According to the prevailing mentality, the swine flu virus is on the loose and the only solution is a one-size-fits-all vaccine. Simple, natural therapies such as curcumin (turmeric) and garlic can reduce the viral load on the body, ease inflammation and strengthen natural immunities without the risk of injurious side effects.

The more recent history of the bird flu virus offers a strong case in point. Beginning in 2003, the avian flu virus began to appear in Asia. First in Vietnam, then in China, Hong Kong and Singapore, a massive public health effort was launched to dispense vaccinations as widely as possible and millions of birds were slaughtered. Ironically, however, it was traditional Chinese herbal medicine that provided one of the most effective therapies. Curcuma longa, widely known as turmeric, acts as a natural preventative against many flu viral strains. Turmeric's active ingredients, called curcuminoids, have been shown in laboratory investigations to have powerful antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.1

Like the original deadly influenza of 1918 and the original swine flu, the current viral strain appears to over stimulate the body's natural immune system. This explains the fact that most of the deaths so far have occurred in relatively young patients with robust immune systems. The swine flu virus appears to activate a response known as the cytokine storm, in which large amounts of immune system hormones (cytokines) are produced. Left unregulated, this inflammation can lead to respiratory and organ failure. In most cases, deaths occur when excess fluids accumulate in the respiratory system. According to the CDC, like seasonal flu, symptoms of swine flu infections can include:
    fever, which is usually high
    cough
    runny nose or stuffy nose
    sore throat
    body aches
    headache
    chills
    fatigue or tiredness, which can be extreme
    Diarrhea and vomiting

The beauty of using turmeric against flu is that it's a natural protease inhibitor. In order to affect the respiratory tract, the flu virus needs the proteasome enzyme complex. Curcuminoids inhibit the release of these enzymes, leaving the virus unable to replicate itself. Since turmeric is a natural food substance, I believe that taking it regularly can provide a safe and effective anti-flu therapy.
    During my more than 30 years of medical practice, I have never used influenza vaccinations for myself or my family. In spite of exaggerated exposure to these germs, I have warded off the flu with care and natural remedies only. My best advice to my patients is to use simple, common sense measures to strengthen their natural immunities and avoid infection.
    When my patients ask me how they can avoid the flu, this is the advice I give them:
    Do deep breathing exercises (outside if possible), and circulate more fresh air throughout your home. Exercise regularly. Walking for 45 minutes a day will increase the body's immune defense mechanism. However, do not over-exert yourself. Exercising longer than 90 minutes per day may actually increase your risk of upper respiratory infections.
    Reduce the "allergenic load" in your home. Carpets, gas heaters, wood burning fireplaces, fungi, mold and chemicals of any kind can weaken your immune system. Consider using electrostatic and charcoal filters in your house to clean the air.

Reduce your sugar and dairy intake. Eat fruits and vegetables instead. Winter is a holiday season when we tend to consume a lot of sugar. According to published studies, seven tablespoons of sugar a day retards the immune system dramatically. One can of soda contains nearly four tablespoons of sugar. Avoid foods you are allergic to.
    Take antioxidants. My personal favorites are combination of Amla ( Emblica officinalis), Guduchi( Tinospora cordifolia), Tulsi( Ocimum sanctum), Vasaka( Adhatoda vasica), Bahera( Terminalia bellerica), Mulathi ( Glycyrrhiza glabra)Tikatu and Amla products made into a paste. (For more information about these herbs, please visit www.ayush.com) These are natural source of anti-oxidants and an excellent immune builder. Add to this vitamin D3 5000 IU twice a day, Ayurvedic herbs can also be taken, such as Triphla and Trikatu( one three times per day), Holy Basil standardized extract (250 mg three times per day) and Curcumin (250 mg three times per day). When you have a cold or an upper respiratory infection, drink ginger, licorice and holy basil tea. Garlic and green tea also have immune balancing properties. Drink plenty of warm fluids. Add fish oil one teaspoon three times per day.
    Wash your hands frequently with soap solution. A study of day-care centers showed that people who washed their hands frequently got 50 percent fewer colds than those who didn't. I do not like antibacterial soaps because they sometimes force the body to develop drug-resistant bacteria. Avoid frequent touching of your nose, eyes and ears.
    Get at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night. Studies have shown that a lack of sleep can increase your chances of catching a cold.
    Avoid and reduce stress. Mental and emotional weaknesses have an effect on the physical system and actually increase your chances of catching cold. Perform yoga or tai chi and spend quality time with your friends and family. A study published in The Journal of American Medical Association found that people, who report three or less social ties, such as with friends, family, coworkers or community groups, are more than four times at risk of catching a cold than those with six or more such ties.
    Do not use antibiotics indiscriminately. Antibiotics have no benefits and can weaken your immune system. According to a study published by The Journal of American Medical Association, 50 percent of the patients suffering with colds, upper respiratory infections and bronchitis demanded antibiotic prescriptions. Most of the upper respiratory infections are caused by viruses. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria. Overuse of antibiotics can leave the body vulnerable to antibiotic-resistant bacteria which can be life threatening.

Ayurveda teaches that health is a matter of balance. Disease is the result of an underlying imbalance. Our bodies are constantly bombarded by contagions, and if these were the only cause of disease, we would be sick all the time. I believe that a balanced immune system is key in the quest for health and the conquest of disease. Learn to listen to your body and treat its imbalances in a holistic way. In the end, you are your own best physician.
    Posted By: Dr. Virender Sodhi at 11:01 AM 1 comments

It's very revealing they mention the benefits of cutting down on sugar, Annie. It's improved, but in early WD, having too much carbs/sugar in my diet would spike the symptoms stratospherically.

Talking of turmeric, you may find this info interesting as well;

Turmeric can help regenerate the liver, groundbreaking new research

(NaturalNews) Incredible, groundbreaking new research just published in the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand found that the primary polyphenol in turmeric - curcumin - is able to repair and even regenerate the liver tissues in diabetic rats.

Researchers at the Srinakharinwirot University in Bangkok administered curcumin to rats afflicted with diabetes and whose livers demonstrated the characteristic pathology and destruction of tissues and microvasculature. The curcumin was able to trigger a significant reversal of the condition.

"Fascinatingly, liver microvasculature in curcumin treated group developed into regenerate and repair into healthy and normal characteristics," the research team said, in its findings. "These results optimistically demonstrated the potential use of curcumin as a novel therapeutic agent in liver pathology of diabetic rats."

The Thai research is just the latest - albeit most promising to date - research showing a treatment link between curcumin and both forms of diabetes, Type I and Type II.

Earlier research reveals similar findings

Researchers, who published their results in the journal Diabetes Care in July, said they discovered that over nine months, a daily dose of curcumin - a compound in curry spice - appeared to prevent new cases of diabetes among people with so-called pre-diabetes, or abnormally high blood sugar levels that could eventually progress into full-blown Type II diabetes, which is also linked to obesity.

That study, which was also Thai-based, followed 240 adults with pre-diabetes who were randomly assigned to either take curcumin capsules or a placebo that looked identical but contained no active ingredient, Reuters reported.

After nine months, 19 of the 116 placebo patients had developed Type II diabetes, compared to none of the 119 patients who took the curcumin.

The researchers, led by Dr. Somlak Chuengsamarn of Srinakharinwirot University in Nakornnayok, Thailand, said their findings were an endorsement.

"Our study showed that the curcumin extract can effectively prevent the prediabetes population from developing type 2 diabetes mellitus," wrote the research team. "Although we found that the results were quite remarkable, a longer trial may be required to see if the curcumin-treated prediabetes population will eventually develop type 2 diabetes mellitus."

"Because of its benefits and safety, we propose that curcumin extract may be used for an intervention therapy for the prediabetes population," the team wrote.

One thing experts agree on is that the concentration of curcumin is not the same in each extract or capsule.

In the July Thai study, participants took six capsules a day containing 250 mg each of "curcuminoids."

Other health advantages

"Last year, the testing company ConsumerLab.com found that 20 percent of curcumin and turmeric supplements it tested failed the company's quality review. And the cost of getting the amount of curcumin used in this study would range from 39 cents to $1.50 per day, depending on the supplement used," Reuters reported.

As for the study's results, Constance Brown-Riggs, a certified diabetes educator and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, said more research was needed but that what had been discovered thus far "is compelling, and the good news is there seemed to be minimal adverse effects."

Other health benefits are thought to be linked to this compound, which is one of the most clinically studied ever.

For example, "scientists agree that curcumin may have anti-inflammatory properties and may act as an antioxidant," says Discovery Health. "Other research is looking into the use of curcumin and turmeric in treating many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's disease, high cholesterol and osteoarthritis."

Even if you don't eat a lot of food from certain cultures that use curry, you have likely eaten something with curcumin. If you've had a hot dog with mustard, you have: curcumin gives mustard its distinctive tangy flavor and yellow color.

More at: http://www.naturalnews.com/037489_tu...#ixzz2HghtLcuv