Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Dreams

I noticed some posts about dreams in various threads here. Maybe we could keep track of our dream progress here.
    I recently had two very helpful dreams. I've been interested in dreams for a long time. I have lots of dreams but usually don't remember much. I wake up knowing I had dreams but can't often remember them. Does anyone have any techniques for remembering dreams upon waking?
    My recent experience of 2 dreams I remembered was like I discovered the key to my dream "logic." I saw how the peculiar sequence of dreams follows a definite pattern like a code with a key. It was like an arithmetic problem-- adding and subtracting. I saw how dreams are the bridge between conscious and unconscious. The seeming illogical scene shifts and lack of narrative coherence in dreams is the unconscious mind keeping some material in a coded format until the conscious mind is ready to integrate it. The cool thing was I cracked a piece of the code.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Good idea, annie.

That’s very cool that you had a breakthrough in interpreting your dreams.

For techniques, you might try not moving or opening your eyes when you wake up. And don’t strain to remember, but rather permit yourself to be in the same place you just were.

FYI, pre-w/d, I had trained myself to remember dreams quite easily whenever I awoke throughout the night, but w/d put the kibosh on that. I found it impossible to remember my dreams in early w/d -- oh, except for the terrifying w/d-induced nightmares, of course. But this is getting slowly better, and I can remember more.

Dreams are a fantastic way of working on your own healing, development, interests.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

unfortunately, i am not dreaming but have several nightmare in a night and some related with dry mouth, awaking each hour
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

I definitely had some dreams last night, but can't remember exactly what it was. Maybe next time.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I keep dreaming that I am lost and can't find my way back. Last night I dreamt that someone was chasing me and I was on this bicycle with huge pedals crossing a shakey wooden bridge but couldn't move fast enough. I was grabbing the railing and pulling myself along. And always a crying child in the background. That's the worst part. Hearing that child. But, I always get up right away and not lie in bed ruminating or I'd not want to move.
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

Sad dreams here, unfortunately. Of things from the past. Something lost and never rebuilt. It will get better, though!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I've never done much of this, but you could try programming yourself before you go to sleep to try to find another good destination, instead of the way back, and also to comfort the child in some way.

I think a lot of us go through feeling we have lost ourselves in early w/d, but you aren't really lost, just overwhelmed.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Elizabeth--I'm glad you shared your dream. (although sorry it's more like a nightmare) .
    I have also had dreams about being on a bike that was too big for me. I Also have lots of reoccurring dreams about being lost or left behind. The reoccuring dream I had for the longest time, that was very specific, lasted 20 years and was about school (not graduating, which in fact I had) and then recently it changed and I had graduated.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Elizabeth--I'm glad you shared your dream. (although sorry it's more like a nightmare) .
    I have also had dreams about being on a bike that was too big for me. I Also have lots of reoccurring dreams about being lost or left behind. The reoccuring dream I had for the longest time, that was very specific, lasted 20 years and was about school (not graduating, which in fact I had) and then recently it changed and I had graduated.
    Love the bicycle avatar Annie! That's wild that you have also dreamt about a bike. I'm glad your reocccuring dream changed for the better. I had more "I'm lost" dreams last night and hearing that crying child. I woke up feeling like I was 3 yrs old wanting my Mommy. I just forced myself out of bed and kept saying "You are grown up and awake, you are grown up and awake". If I stay in bed it gets worse. I find that I am freezing at night too. It just adds to the bizarreness of the dreams IMHO. I hope my sleep improves. I have to keep reminding myself that I have only W/D from the Trazodone completely in just a week. The whole month of December was like a long nightmare all day, all night but I think I'm past that now. I force myself to do things in the day and I have to do something I haven't done since being off the meds on Monday. I'm reallllllly freaked out! But, today is Friday so one day at a time and I will get thru Monday somehow.
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

Annie -- congratulations on your dream graduation. Something has healed in you.

Elizabeth -- your self-talk is good. Try adding in comfort for the 3-year-old you from the adult you.

Aw, that is so common to be freaked out about some chore while in recovery. We have all been through that so many times. We always get through it, and you will too.

-- Holger Kalweit