Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new here

new here

Have been on the other support sites for the last year or so. I found this one by researching more about protracted withdrawal and came across Sheila's blog which I found interesting. I also found it interesting that Sheila is a psychologist and also is dealing with withdrawal syndrome. I really hope a CBT program specifically geared toward withdrawal syndrome can be developed. Maybe she can influence her psychologist friends to help create one?

I would also like to explore more of the psi that Sheila talks about and other neurological healing tools. I am a big fan of nutrition and believe its very importan in combincation with other healing modalities.

Well, I was on ad drugs for nearly 8 years and quit in one week after going through an alternative mental health program using IV nutrients, cranial electrical therapy, and neurofeedback. While I was doing fairly well the first few months, protracted wd set in around month 4 and its been up and down since. I couldn't handle the pain so went to an acupuncture clinice and found significant relief using actupuncture and herbs. However this was discontinued after a couple months and my symptoms eventually came back.

So that's where I am now. 1.5 years off and struggling. I use nutrients, diet, exercise, talk therapy, meditation/mindfullness to help me move along, however sometimes I wonder if my issues are indeed wd or something else.

Hello, Bruno! Welcome to IAWP.

Well, after having spent 8 years on those drugs, your system simply needs some time to re-align itself. What you mention in your post about WD kicking in only after some months is quite common.

That is very good your morale is very high and you are so motivated to get better. As far as herbs go though, please be careful. Quite many of them work along the lines of SSRIs. St. John's Wort, for instance, is a noradrenergic. The last thing you need now is to stir-up your CNS.

As for exercises, a word of caution, too. Being in dysautonomia, too much of any (emotional or physical) stress may worsen your symptoms. Additionally, the causation is very often extremely difficult to see as the post-exercise aggreviation of symptoms may happen even as late as 48-72 hours after it. You simply need to experiment as to what is the best in your case. Here is one of the threads about it; http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...p?803-Exercise

There are also diet/nutrients threads, among them this one; http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...et-Supplements

The improvement will be happening. Stay patient.

What doses were you on, and what ADs specifically were you taking?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

i updated my signature. Lets see if it shows. Thanks for the welcome btw
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

Welcome to IAWP Bruno :)
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

hi junior, thanks. I didnt even know this place existed until a few days ago. I like the vibe here so far. Didnt want to join at first as I figured all the support groups were the same but Sheila said they are not the same and each has its own sort of...well vibe, I suppose.

Welcome Bruno, I recently joined as well
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

Welcome Bruno. This board is super supportive
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Howdy, Bruno. Welcome!

Well, this psychologist is much more into psychoanalytic / psychodynamic and transpersonal psychotherapy than CBT....

That's an interesting alternative program you tried. Many of the methods sound promising. (Was it cranial or trans-cranial?) I would just say that they weren't done for long enough. One would need to do them for several months, I would guess, to get a more enduring benefit.

Do you feel that both the acupuncture needles and the herbs are helping you?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Welcome here, Bruno! This place is very supportive and friendly.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

oriental medicine made me feel wonderful, however they stopped it. Thats typically how it works bc I guess it has something to do with the this type of medicine. They dont just keep you on it indefinitely. My symptoms came back a few weeks after stopping and I actually had a sort of withdrawal from the herbs as they appear to have psychoactive properties.

Anyways, i am thinking about giving in and going to see another doctor because I am off 1.5 years now and still have a lot of depression which keeps me from living a full, productive life.