Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone, I'm new too...

Hi Everyone, I'm new too...

Wow, how do I begin? I was "formally" diagnosed with "mental illness" in 2005 and put on medication. I was told that I had Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder (I had lost my job due to cutbacks). This is where my med "journey" aka "fresh hell" begins. It is only now that I have chosen to taper my current meds that I realize what was happening in terms of side effects. I feel that I have been treated like a lab rat for 7 years.

Meds I have been on in the past: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Effexor XR, Pristiq, Lamictal (I got the rash, yes I did), Lexapro (just got off that one). I am forgetting some meds but that's ok. I have been on everything except for Prozac. My psychiatrist kept changing the drug if the other wasn`t working so she even had me on Seroquel XR, Zyprexa, Risperdal as "bridge" meds. They caused symptoms of psychosis and I gained 40 lbs. I am no longer on them (thank God) In the beginning when I was first put on Paxil, it seemed harmless enough but then she kept trying different ones.......holding down a job became almost impossible b/c she had me so sedated and comatose. Enter the benzos....Clonazepam, Valium and Ativan. I was also on a sleeping pill: Imovane. With a different doctor's help I got off of the benzos and sleeping pill. The withdrawal was hellish and something I can't soon forget. It has been 2 years "benzo free" for me. My psychiatrist who I thought was trustworthy has proven to be nothing but a pill pusher and I feel so STUPID for letting her medicate me. I was on 5 meds at the same time last year. No wonder my attempt at holding down a job was fruitless!

Currently, I am taking Trazodone but have been tapering my dose. I have been on this med for 4 years. I have gone down from 200mg to 50mg in one month. Last night was my first dose at 50mg. It is very hard and I have no support. My family has "bought" into this madness and think that I am "sick" if I want to go off my meds. I have tried to explain to them that the withdrawals mimic illness but it's no use. I am hiding the symptoms of physical illness from the tapering pretty well but have no one to talk to. I am also on 120mg of Cymbalta which I will tackle eventually but not until the Trazodone is completely out of my system. My problem with the Cymbalta is that it is in capsule form and getting a lower dose capsule is impossible from my current psychiatrist and my family doctor won't "touch" these meds. It is also VERY difficult to find a new psychiatrist to help me and in reality, how do I know they won't try to increase the dose! I'm scared.

I find that meditation is helping me and staying very quiet in my room when I can. My sleep is out of whack so I am up alot of the night. I am having nightmares when I do sleep. I find that everything I hear is very loud and irritating to me. I am also very nauseated and my head feels like it is blowing up. I know that this is withdrawal and I refuse to give up. I have been reading this forum for a week but haven't had it in me to register and post until now. I won't keep a paper journal in case someone finds it. Please don't get me wrong, my family loves me but they don't understand and I feel stigmatized. I am keeping a positive outlook because I KNOW that I can do this. Sorry for the long post. It is a relief to find you and know that I am truly not alone. I am SO thankful to have found you. :)

Liz

Welcome, Elizabeth! OMG, you really have been treated like a lab rat. That's way too many meds, changed around way too much way too quickly! I'm so sorry!

Congratulations on two years benzo free!

I'm very sorry about your family's beliefs. Very wrong-headed.

It's smart to taper one drug at a time. Take your time with the Trazadone. Slower is better.

Don't worry about the Cymbalta. Is there powder or spheres in the capsules? You can get a scale or have a liquid compound made or make your own. And no one will know how much you're actually taking. That's up to you. You just need a prescription for enough to get you through the taper.

I'm so glad you permitted yourself to finally post. That's right -- you are not alone!

You're having classic w/d symptoms, as you say. They will all go away eventually. Meditation and lots of quiet are great. However, I'm just wondering how much you've tapered off of recently, and whether you should wait and stabilize before continuing the Trazadone taper. What do you think?

Are you taking any supplements?

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

One thing I have noticed about my medication journey is that my psych maxed out the dose on every one I took. It seems that these doctors know how to get a person dependent on the meds but don't know how to taper them or refuse to do it. I was so desperate a couple of years ago I tried to go off of Effexor cold turkey and ended up in the hospital (nightmare). That is why I feel like I'm walking on egg shells by tapering myself but I have no choice. It would easier if I lived alone but I am not in that position right now. I am sitting here with ginger ale and saltine crackers to control the nausea.

You asked about supplements....I take Vit C and Calcium but nothing else. I was thinking that maybe a B12 complex and Vit D might help? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As for the Cymbalta, I opened a capsule last week and it has spheres in it. I will have enough for the taper but that is down the road. I want to gag when I swallow the pills! They have a burnt smell. But, I know the consequences if I don't take them! I am afraid to run out b/c of the cold turkey episode a few years ago.

I think it would be wise to stay on the 50mg of Traz for awhile. I wonder if I tapered to quickly. I went from 200mg to 100mg in a week and held that for a month. My body is taking a beating. Other w/d symptoms I am encountering are problems with memory, a short fuse where I want to explode (and I am not an angry person), weight loss, body tremors, chills (flu like symptoms etc etc etc), bouts of crying. But, this too shall pass. :)

Thanks again for making me feel welcome. :) (I have to figure out how the smilies work LOL)

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Welcome among us on IAWP, Elizabeth!
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Hello, Elizabeth! Welcome to IAWP. It is really good you have found us - one of the worst things in WD is when your family doesn't believe it's the drugs that caused it. You don't have to worry about it here.

The symptoms you are describing are very typical of WD, but they will be getting better with time. Yes, it's hard, but you know what their cause is and you are very motivated to get off of the drugs. This will help you to get your life back. As you already know, it's crucial to taper the drugs very very slowly to allow your system re-align itself. Also, taper one drug at a time.

Yes, psychiatrists only know how to switch between the drugs and up the dose...

As for Vitamin B, I'd be very careful. If anything, starting with a very small dose and monitoring the way you feel would be a must. All is going to be ok. Step by step.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you Cosette and Luc. :)

If I am posting in the wrong places, please let me know. Newbie here. I had 4 hours of sleep last night and woke up feeling not too bad but the med is still in my system and I usually start to crash by 3pm. Unbelievable how powerful these drugs are. I have incredible flu like symptoms right now and racing thoughts....a song keeps repeating itself in my head and awful profanity (I don't swear often either. It's SO upsetting but I know what it is and it's not me!) Thank you both for your encouragement.

Luc, thanks for the heads up re: Vit B. I guess I could get my levels checked. I have no thyroid and take replacement hormone so who knows what is happening now that I am withdrawing.
    One thing I am trying to do is use opposite emotion. If I want to cry I find something to laugh at. If I want to yell, I sing and upbeat song. When I am alone of course when I can be relaxed. I realize how apathetic I have been for so long as these meds have dulled my feelings. I feel things acutely at times and it's like HOLY COW! Extreme paranoia......last night I was worried that my psych would come on here and know it's me. How silly is that? Complete and utter madness! LOL :)
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

do not underestimate the power of these drugs, 7 years is much, so taper slowly,

i like your method to take the opposit : crying<>laughing etc, i will work about it
    the opposite of OCD, paranoia, anxiety etc
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Good to have a benzo victim on board, ure not alone Liz and welcome! Wishing you healing nd a speedy recovery
    <Put on Urbanol (Benzo-Tranquilizer) 10mg 2-3 weeks with an experience of sleeping aids (Zolpidem ambien,zopiclone,beta-sleep - took them every once in a while) CT - Nov 30-2012. Symptoms : DP/DR,Akithisia,Migraines,Seizures,Brain fog,Dizziness,fatigue,Intrusive thought (worst symptom),Anxiety,Nitemares,GAD,Insane loss of apetite & heart palps>

<It is said, that in death, all becomes clear>.

Elizabeth – you’re doing a great job at coping with this hell.

If your nausea remedies aren’t doing the trick, let me know. There are some other things to try.

As Luc said, B vitamins – although great for the brain – are often not well-tolerated in w/d from ADs.

Have you considered Omega-3, magnesium, and Vitamin C?

Vit. D – why are you thinking of taking it? Could be good for depression.

Thyroid – I gather you’re on a thyroid med. Is your thyroid removed totally?

It sounds like you’re having a pretty rough time, and that you took a pretty big step on the Trazadone. I would probably stop tapering for a bit, especially since it’s the holidays.

You have a great attitude, Elizabeth. That will really help you get through this. And it will end. And you will be so proud of yourself.

What do you do to pass the time?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Stan and Dave, nice to meet you! I wanted to post last night but yesterday was not a good day at all. But, I survived. Stan, you are right about the drugs....I have over estimated them in the past and now that I am tapering I am reminded of that. ugh. Dave, thank you, I wish you a speedy recovery too. I am sorry you are suffering so much. You will be ok too my friend. :)

I find that I am waking up with bad headaches lately. I put it down to life stresses and the w/d. Today, I get to be alone and am thankful for it! I am going to rest after yesterday. I'm feeling a little down right now but this will pass.

Sheila, thanks for the tips re: vits.....I will steer clear of the B complex. I take Vit. C so that is good. I will try the magnesium and and Omega-3. I used to take Magnesium b/c I would wake up with bad leg cramps but stopped for some reason. As for the Vit D, I have taken it in the past and felt it helped in terms of mood but then, I've been on these meds for so long. You asked about thyroid. It was completely removed due to a tumour so I have to take replacement hormone which I get checked regularly. I know that if my levels or off it can affect my body and mind.
    I am definitely staying at 50mg of Traz for the time being!

Sheila, I'll PM you about what I do. I don't want it on an open forum. :) How do you get those smilie icons to work? LOL! I need to nurse this headache for a bit but I'll be back. Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and for the first time in years I don't feel so alone and not a walking label!
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy