Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Withdrawal Hell (Seizure Attack)

Dave, there's a chance that what you call a "seizure", and during which you felt so hellish, might have been a panic attack. Though I still would not rule out the possibility of it being some kind of seizure either. At some point, you mentioned you had had a panic attack prior to your starting taking meds. Did it feel similar to what you went through most recently?

What else did the doctor say? When you described to him/her this most recent experience, it was him/her who said it was a "seizure"? Also, what did the doctor say about the cause of this reaction?

Had you had any extra life-related stressors in the last couple of days? Your system in WD/post-adverse reaction is *so* taxed that it may have resulted in such a reaction.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

PS It's good that you have abstained from reinstating anything at that point.

Dave – You say you shook for 15-30 minutes? Luc brings up a very good idea – it may have been a panic attack. A seizure will not usually last that long, and it will feel more like an intense spasm than shaking.

Poodlebell also brings up a very good idea – it may have been a series of “zaps.” Zaps are spontaneous electrical shocks or spasms that can occur in the head or the body. They are very, very common in early recovery from ADs. They’re disturbing, but safe.

Your doctor seems to be throwing too many meds at you, and too randomly.

Urbanol = benzo

Serdep50 = sertraline = Zoloft

Pur-Bloka = propanolol

Valdoxan = melatonergic antidepressant

I see no reason to take an antidepressant. And the reason you should not reinstate the Urbanol is that you took very few pills. You do not have a dependency on it. You’re having an adverse reaction to it.

I looked at the info on Urbanol, and it specifically says it should not be given to people who have a known sensitivity to benzos. And you do.

If you really had an epileptic-type seizure, there are seizure drugs you could consider -- but not benzos or ADs. I think it might be a very good idea for you to get a second opinion. And if you do, please tell the doctor that you had a very bad reaction to several of the medications you were given recently.

Dave – some people are very sensitive to medications, and their bodies really reject them. They have to use gentler, alternative health treatments. These meds are too strong for them. You may be one of these people, and you want to start looking at non-medication approaches to calming your body.

Whatever it was that you experienced, Dave, you are absolutely going to be fine. Even if it was a seizure.

Keep writing to us. Try to describe the “seizure” more fully.

Thanks so much, DV and poodlebell, for your very, very helpful and pertinent information!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Well, iv had a seizure before, and brain zaps and electric shocks thru out my body, so I can pretty much distinguish between the two, what I had yesterday was more than just a panick attack, I was not in control, I was out for a few minutes, and I was extremely cold. I haven't touched the valdoxane nor dd I touch the pur-blocka, since I'm rli scared of these meds, I thnk I'll try to wait it out again for a few more days but if my symptoms become stronger, I thnk I'll re-instate the Urbanol then taper down, I cnt stand these seizure anymore, the creep up on you and before you knw, ure out, nd I cnt have tht happen in public. Thanks for the info, wish I had got it early, now I have went nd spend more money on pills I won't take due to uncertainty and confusion... If only u cud specify on the other alternative sheila I'd rli appreciate tht, I tried chamomile tea, ddnt seem lik it help, myt it hv induced the seizure? I dnt knw. I dnt trust anythng anymre, I stil yet hv to try the omega 3 oil supplements (gel capsules). My apetite is totaly non-existant. One thing is for sure! I will not consider taking any SSRIs or any ADs. Sigh. So tired of this withdrawal crap!!! What saddens me even more, seeing my mother cry this morning, due her fear for my health,tore my heart apart...

Dave, I feel your pain. WD is such an unimaginable hell there are NO words that could describe it. Yet, please remember about something very important - you took Urbanol for such a short time, it seems very unlikely you are suffering from WD, but rather from an adverse reaction. The last thing you would want to do is to expose your body to even more damage from those drugs thus only prolong your suffering. That said, we will respect any decision you might take.

That is great you are not going to go back on ADs. Also, you said you are planning to wait it out the next couple of days in terms of benzo. I think even on the intuitive level you feel and know which way is the best here.

Trying out omega-3 is a safe bet I think. People, even in WD, seem to tolerate it. Also, as *incredibly* difficult it is in that state, try relaxing your muscles at least - once an hour for 5 mins and breathe slowly. Self-talking also works - yes, I literally mean repeating to yourself some mantra, like "I'm going to heal", "my body is healing day&night", etc. If you could just experience a window these days, this would bring you lots of hope and perseverance to fight on.

Sheila also mentioned the possibility of the second opinion on this. You would tell a doctor what happened and how sensitive your body is to drugs (mention the adverse reaction).

Keep us updated and hang in there!
    Last edited by Luc; 12-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Hi Dave – You say you’ve had a seizure like this before? So, do you mean before you ever took any meds? A long time ago? More than once? Did you get any information at that time about the seizure? Did you try any treatment?

So, it sounds like you have had some kind of seizure in the past and migraines / severe headaches. And this was before exposure to meds. Now, you’re having an adverse reaction to taking many different meds briefly.

If I were you, I would probably try consulting with several different types of health care people – a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, a naturopath – and get several opinions. You sound like you have a complex situation, and I find that non-medicine-based approaches are better for complex, systemic, chronic, or sensitivity issues.

The more I hear about you, the more I think you would respond better to an alternative, systemic healing approach instead of any kind of medication. Especially, now that you are having an adverse reaction to meds, which will make your system even more sensitive temporarily.

As Luc mentions, starting Omega-3 would be a good idea, but it may take awhile to see the benefits. Magnesium is another idea, and you would see the benefits faster. In fact, because you’re currently sensitive, I would start at only 50 mg and see how you tolerate it. You have to take it in a form that does not include calcium.

Also, as Luc says, any kind of breathing, self-talk, and relaxation is very important. Also, can you exercise mildly – walk?

We really know how painful it is to see someone close to you scared and stressed by this kind of adverse reaction or w/d from psych meds. Please tell your mother that we said you will heal, that we have seen hundreds of people go through this, and yes, it *looks* really bad in the beginning, but you are really safe, and you will come through this storm.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Thanks sheila I'll let her know, I dnt hv magnesium or omega 3 oil, iv got quit a lot of hake (fish) in the freezer, tht shud help ryt? As for the pur-blocka, wud u recommend tht I take it? My morning anxiety is horrible nd heart beats xtremli fast, nd ths usualy last thru out the day, calming only in the evening.

Hi dave,
    thse symptoms are not permanent. Will they lead to permanent damage? NO,NO.
    A lot of people had such a seizure during fast taper or CT this kind of drugs, i had one in 2009 like you, and i'm fine now.
    You will be fine, but b.in mind that you will deal with some crapy symptoms, like vibrating sensations(or electric sensation along your body), etc....
    trust me, you will be fine.

PS: please make a journal to show us your med history.
    You had a seizure even before taking these meds ???
    Deroxat (PAXIL) 20mg November 2009
    July 2011 free
    heavy wd symptomes.
    still struggling

Yes, Dave, fish has a lot of Omega-3 in it. It's really worth trying. You wrote that you feel a bit calmer in the evening. What may help you is, during the earlier hours of the day, to remember yourself that it will usually ease up later on. This way you will be able to pull through the worst until the improvement starts happening.

Okay guys, thanks a million! Ths is very encouraging. So luc you're saying that this isn't WD but rather an adverse reaction, hw does tht work? Is it similar to withdrawal? Does it last for some time before it stops? Cz I'm having most of the withdrawal symptoms...