Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation

No risk of overdosing with mindfullness. That's for sure.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I may have asked this question somewhere already, but it's better one too many than one too few. Has anyone had (more likely prior to WD, or prior to drugs in general) any really remarkable spiritual experiences while meditating? I'd be very interested in hearing about such.

Please, watch this video, especially around :40 mark onwards. It tells like it is. Really worth trying. As soon as the symptoms are less severe, starting using this form of self-therapy could be very beneficial...

Good stuff. Thanks for posting, Luc. I like his emphasis on self-love, and his point about how being self-compassionately with the stressful moment is the most creative way to work with it.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

chiming in. I just watched a program on Amit Goswami and how we are more than our neurons, and the brain material. It was about nonlocalized communication and influence between people who are not in direct communication (the idea that we are all connected). He said that a few people practicing conscious healing intention can affect people across space and time.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    chiming in. I just watched a program on Amit Goswami and how we are more than our neurons, and the brain material. It was about nonlocalized communication and influence between people who are not in direct communication (the idea that we are all connected). He said that a few people practicing conscious healing intention can affect people across space and time.
    Not even a year ago, I didn't believe those things, then I started researching it more and it blew my mind. Now, barely a year later, I can't believe I didn't believe it then.

I can't remember this very project... tens of thousands people simultaneously and in one place sending good energy to other places... can't remember its name (Hindu-related). When Sheila will be reading this thread, she will know it for sure. I have it at the tip of my tongue. Maybe, if I keep writing, I'll recollect it. There was "ash", "mash", or something similar in its name...

Help...

OK, you’ve exercised your memory enough for today, Luc. :) The answer is Maharishi Mahesh Yogi –

b. The Maharishi Effect

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was a spiritual leader who developed and popularized a mantra-based form of meditation called Transcendental Meditation. He originally predicted that if 1% of a population practiced this meditation method, it would have a measurable, positive impact on the whole population. Later, he developed an augmented training program, and it was predicted that only the square root of 1 % of a population would need to practice this method in order to show a benefit to the whole population. There have been numerous studies around the world that suggest that even such a small percentage of a local population, practicing the meditation method, has had a statistically significant effect on quality-of-life measures such as crime rate and car accidents (Wiki).

What percentage of the population is now taking antidepressants?

In Oct 2011, the C.D.C. reported that from 1998 to 2008, U.S. antidepressant prescriptions rose 400 %, and more than 1 in 10 Americans over age 12 were taking an antidepressant (healthland.time.com). That is not a typo – yes, 400 %.

In 2010, there were 3.5 million antidepressant prescriptions written in Wales, where antidepressant use had risen 71 % over the previous eight years. In 2010, there were 4.3 million prescriptions in Scotland, an increase of 43 % over the previous eight years. And, in 2009, there were 39.1 million prescriptions in England, an increase of 61% over the previous eight years (the population of England was 52.5 million then) (mentalhealthy.co.uk). In 2011, 46.7 million antidepressant prescriptions were written in England, a 9.1 % increase over 2010 (ic.nhs.uk).

Worldwide sales of antidepressants reached $20.3 billion in 2008 (bloomberg.com). In 2007, the Eli Lilly website stated that Prozac had been prescribed for more than 54 million people in 90 countries" (thedailybeast.com, fasebj.org). The world population in 2007 was about 6,625,000 (prb.org).

You can see that the numbers are big and increasing rapidly. It’s easier to get numbers of prescriptions than numbers of actual people taking the drugs, but in 2008, the U.S. government found that roughly 10% of Americans over age 12 were taking an antidepressant (healthland.time.com), and in September 2011, the government of Scotland estimated that 11.3% of Scots over age 15 were taking an antidepressant (bbc.co.uk).

According to the Maharishi Effect theory, you only need the square root of 1% of a population to be meditating in a certain way to have an influence on the whole population. What happens to the whole population when 10% are taking the same type of powerful medication? Does that 10% have an even stronger influence on people who have previously ingested the same medication, even though they are now off it?

http://neuroscienceandpsi.blogspot.c...1_archive.html

[Luc collected all these stats for me.]

Amit Goswami is very cool. He has a book and he’s in “What the Bleep do we Know?” Did you all see that movie?

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Oh, thanks a lot, Sheila! Google should have this option of searching for the middle of words (maybe there's such?) I need to check it. This ties in well with post 4 in this thread here (and the third guest in the TV studio in the video); http://antidepressantwithdrawal.info...ail-comes-from...

On a more serious note, re statistics - the number of people on just this one type of medical drugs is mind-blowing, plus it also impacts their families, friends, and the world around them...

PS I'll check more about Amit Goswami. The movie too.
    Last edited by Luc; 01-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.

You know, I wouldn't mind ppl taking a/ds if they were genuinely suffering from major depression and were taken off them once they healed. That was the old way and it has definite benefits. But there is no way that major depression has increased 400% in the last 15-20 years.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Methinks profits have increased 400% in the last few years!

-- Holger Kalweit