Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega-3

Quote Originally Posted by PAROX2010 View Post
    reminds me of the beautiful movie "Lorenzo's Oil" .... (1992)
    Wow, Parox! I remember this movie. Thank you for mentioning it. I watched it in early 2000s. There was some type of oil involved in it, too.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Parox -- Can you find anything written about that Barcelona doctor?

Lorenzo's Oil -- I'm having trouble with my Internet connection, but I see that it was a combo of plants, a specific long chain fatty acid, euric acid, which is Omega-9. This boy had too much long long chain fatty acid accumulation in his brain, as well as loss of myelin. Parox, this is a very interesting addition to our Omega-3 investigation!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Sheila, and I ask my sister in-laws. She knows the details.

This doctor worked in the Maternal and Child Hospital Vall d'Hebron (Barcelona). Investigating a "rare disease" suffering little children (babies)
    They came from families with sick children all over the world, many of whom were Americans, also some children of wealthy families from Arab countries.
    My sister in-laws always showed interest in natural medicine, diet and so was reminded that treatment with high doses of DHA, among other things, I guess.

Looks Googling I found (I think Dra. Manuela Martínez)
    I want to serve you.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8327143
    http://www.elmedicointeractivo.com/a.../06/29/n11.htm
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress

Sheila, other than your skin could you detect specific WD symptoms that were aided by the omega 3?
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

Parox -- Thanks for those two links. VERY interesting. That is exactly what I would expect -- that Omega-3 would help with these peroxisomal neurological disorders. Do you have any interest in contacting Dra. Manuela and writing to her about *our* neurological disorder and asking if she has any thoughts? I think high dose Omega-3 has a lot of promise for us.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Welcome, mona! Good to hear from you. When I went up from 2,000 mg to 4,000 mg several years ago, I noticed an improvement in cognition. That improvement seemed to plateau.

I have just recently completed a slow up-taper from 4,000 to 9,000. I have seen a stunning improvement in cognition and psi. I had some improvement in anxiety and depression, but that has gone backwards for the last three weeks. Possibly, I am still adjusting to all the updosing. Or possibly other stressors have overridden the Omega-3. And I can't see a big change in physical symptoms yet, possibly because I'm also going through a mild detox with digestive enzymes which is giving me a lot of physical symptoms.

So, stay tuned. I have been sick for a long time, and my research suggests that it takes a lot longer for any treatment to show benefit on an entrenched condition -- especially in middle age -- than on a new, acute ailment.

-- Holger Kalweit

Can fish oil help guard against schizophrenia?

By Anne Harding – Mon Feb 1, 2010, 4:20 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Taking fish oil may help prevent full-blown psychotic illness in at-risk adolescents and young adults, a study released today hints.

These at-risk individuals may have weak or transient psychotic symptoms, and already show schizophrenia-like brain changes, Dr. G. Paul Amminger of The University of Melbourne in Australia, a researcher on the study, told Reuters Health. But while psychiatrists now know how to identify these individuals, he added, they don't know what to do with them. "At the moment there's no state-of-the-art guideline (on) how to treat those people."

Prescribing antipsychotic medications may be helpful, Amminger added, but these medications have serious side effects, and can also be stigmatizing. "For young people they don't want to commit themselves to a treatment which they might need to take for the next five to ten years," he said. Furthermore, only about a third of people at high risk for psychotic disorders will go on to develop full-fledged mental illness in a given year.

There's considerable evidence that abnormal fatty acid metabolism may contribute to the development of schizophrenia, Amminger and his team note in the Archives of General Psychiatry. To investigate whether omega-3 fatty acids might help prevent psychotic illness, they randomly assigned 81 at-risk individuals, 13 to 25 years old, to take 1.2 grams a day of omega-3s in fish oil capsule form or a placebo for 12 weeks and then followed them for another 40 weeks.

The researchers included people who met at least one of the following three criteria: having low-level psychotic symptoms; having transient psychotic symptoms; or having a schizophrenia-like personality disorder or a close relative with schizophrenia, along with a sharp decline in mental function within the past year.

Seventy-six of the 81 study participants, or 94 percent, completed the trial, Amminger noted, which underscores the safety and tolerability of fish oil.

At one year, 5 percent of the study participants taking omega-3s had developed a psychotic disorder (2 of 41 people), compared to 28 percent of those on placebo (11 of 40). People taking fish oil also showed significant reductions in their psychotic symptoms and improvements in function, while they were at no greater risk of adverse effects than people taking placebo capsules.

The effect of fish oil capsules, Amminger noted, was similar to that seen in two trials of antipsychotic drugs in at-risk individuals.

There are a number of mechanisms through which omega-3s could protect the brain, Amminger said; they are a major component of brain cells. They are also key to the proper function of two brain chemical signaling systems, dopamine and serotonin, which have been implicated in schizophrenia. Fish oil also boosts levels of glutathione, an antioxidant that protects the brain against oxidative stress.

Trials of medications for treating mental illness typically don't include people younger than 18, Amminger noted, while starting minors on these medications is "always very difficult, and always quite controversial."

But if future research bears out the current findings, he added, fish oil promises to offer a safe way to help prevent psychosis in at-risk people, and could also potentially be used to prevent or delay the onset of chronic depression, bipolar illness, and substance abuse disorder -- all of which are far more common than psychotic illness.

He and his colleagues are now planning a multicenter trial of fish oil for the prevention of psychotic illness in 320 at-risk people.

SOURCE: Archives of General Psychiatry, February 2010.

-- Holger Kalweit

Omega-3, depression, and bipolar

Have we been fishing in all the wrong places for the magic bullet for depression and bipolar disorder? Have scientists been turning a blind eye to a well-known elixir that works well for other diseases and conditions? Ever since psychiatry threw Freud and his couch in the rubbish bin a couple of decades back, the profession has been oriented toward prescription drugs. Now, their focus appears to be widening.

In 1999, a Harvard University study generated a buzz throughout the bipolar community with the prospect of a natural substance that worked - fish oil. After years of being bombarded by industrial-strength pharmaceuticals and toxic salts, people with bipolar disorder and possibly depression could possibly look forward to a kinder and gentler treatment.

What We Know About Omega-3

In 1996, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a study comparing the prevalence of depression across ten nations. The survey yielded eye-opening results in showing how the lifetime and annual rates for depression vary widely from country to country (eg 1.5 in every 100 adults in Taiwan experience depression in their lifetimes while the figure is 19 for every 100 adults in Beirut). A 1998 study published in The Lancet compared this data with fish consumption, finding the higher consuming populations experienced less depression.

A 2003 study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry compared similar cross-national epidemiological data - this time involving bipolar disorder - and seafood consumption, again finding a strong correlation.

The working ingredient of fish oil is omega-3, a polyunsaturated fatty acid which is also found in certain plants such as flaxseed, pumpkin seed, and walnuts. According to Joseph Hibbeln MD of the NIH, who authored the two fish-consumption studies: "In the last century, [Western] diets have radically changed and we eat grossly fewer omega-3 fatty acids now. We also know that rates of depression have radically increased by perhaps a hundred-fold."

In a NY Times article, Dr Hibbeln noted:

Infant monkeys fed baby formula supplemented with omega-3 are stronger and more alert even at less than a week than monkeys given standard baby formula.
    Depression is 60 times higher in New Zealand, where the average consumption of seafood is 40 pounds a year compared to Japan, where a person consumes nearly 150 pounds of seafood a year.
    Postpartum depression is 50 times more common in countries with low levels of seafood consumption. During pregnancy, a woman’s body becomes depleted of fatty acids, which are transferred to the fetus.
    Omega-3 seems to be critical to the growth and maintenance of brain cells, especially cell membranes.
    When omega-3 is not available, the body uses omega-6, which produces cell membranes less able to cope with neurotransmitter traffic.
    And of course the famous 1999 Harvard pilot study.
    We eat far greater amounts of other damaging fatty acids. A healthy diet should provide for at least five grams daily of essential fatty acids, divided between omega-3 and omega-6.

A quick Medline search turns up several studies that show depleted omega-3 levels in the blood, cell membranes, and brains of depressed patients, suggesting that an intake of omega-3 could help reverse the process, though this has yet to be proved in large-scale clinical trials.

The Omega-3 Bipolar Disorder Study
    The 1999 Harvard study that started it all was conducted on 30 patients with bipolar disorder, generally in stable condition but with a history of relapses (all had experienced bipolar episodes over the past year). All but eight of the subjects were on medications, which were left unchanged. Half the subjects were given 9.6 grams of fish oil capsules, the other half received olive oil.

Andrew Stoll MD, who conducted the study, admits the olive oil, which did not have a fishy taste, was not a perfect placebo. In one case, a person's cat actually attacked the fish oil capsules. But, as he jokingly confessed in a session at the 2000 DBSA annual conference, "you want a flawed study. That way, you get money to do another study."

The trial was supposed to go on for nine months, but was stopped after four due to its outstanding results, with the omega-3 group staying in remission significantly longer than the placebo patients. By two months, half of the placebo group had dropped out compared to two in the fish oil group. The omega-3 group actually did less well in lowering their mania scores than those taking placebos, but fared much better getting their depression down. Some patients experienced nausea, diarrhea, and fishy aftertaste, not surprising considering the high doses. Currently Dr Stoll is conducting a much larger and longer (three year) study that should conclude fairly soon. Other researchers are undertaking their own studies.

Other Omega-3 Depression and Bipolar Disorder Studies
    These include:

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is one of the active ingredients of omega-3 fish oil. An Israeli study of 20 patients with major depression found that EPA resulted in "highly significant benefits" compared to a placebo by week three.
    A 2001 study of 70 depressed patients who had not responded to other treatments were randomized into three groups taking different doses of refined EPA (one, two, or four grams a day) or a placebo. Six of the 52 patients on the EPA dropped out before 12 weeks. The one gram group did "dramatically better" than the placebo group, but surprisingly the two and four gram groups fared only modestly better than the placebo group. Much higher doses (eight to 10 gm/day) have been found effective in treating bipolar.
    The higher dose paradox was borne out in a 2003 Stanley Foundation Bipolar Network study of 59 depressed bipolar patients, which found that those on 6 gm/day EPA did no better than those taking the placebo over four months, with CGI-BP depression scores dropping from 4.1 to 2.7 for EPA vs 3.6 to 2.7 for the placebo. A second study on 62 rapid-cycling patients produced similar results.
    An NIH study tracking 14,541 women from their eighth week of pregnancy to eight months after giving birth found those who had no seafood - rich in omega-3 - had nearly twice the rate of depression as those who ate 10 ounces of fish daily, leading the authors to conclude: "Omega-3 fatty acids have beneficial health effects with no adverse side effects."
    A Finnish/National Cancer Institute survey of 29,133 Finnish men, aged 50 to 69, has found that "there were no associations between the dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids or fish consumption and depressed mood, major depressive episodes, or suicide."
    A 2003 Chinese study of 28 patients with major depression found that those taking 9.6 grams/day of omega-3 had "a significantly decreased [Hamilton] score" after eight weeks.

More on Omega-3
    The two active ingredients of omega-3 fish oil are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). EPA is considered to be the ingredient with the therapeutic effect, so it is important to buy omega-3 that contains more EPA than DHA. A pilot study of EPA on depressed patients produced a beneficial effect while in another study DHA proved a total dud.

Fish oil has been highly touted as a prevention for heart disease and a host of other ills, so there was a ready-made supply on the market long before Dr Stoll's study.

At a seminar at the May 2004 American Psychiatric Association’s annual meeting, Jerry Cott PhD, an FDA researcher, had this to say about omega-3.

Omega-3, he said, is a fatty acid that appears to work much like a calcium channel blocker. Not uncoincidentally, he related, Joseph Hibbeln MD of the NIH, who has led the way in omega-3 research, had been working on a calcium channel blocker study. Omega-3 competes with its sister fatty acid, omega-6, for the same enzyme chain. From there, omega-3 and omega-6 are metabolized, then stored as highly unsaturated fatty acid in tissue phospholipids.. The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is one to one, but with modern diets favoring omega-6 at 20 to one it’s fairly obvious which fatty acid is going to win the battle of the enzyme chain.

Less may also be more. Large doses may result in oxidative stress as omega-3 is being metabolized.. This may explain why some studies using EPA (see above) failed at higher doses. Accordingly, Dr Cott recommends omega-3 be taken with vitamins C and E. [Others would say the doses were still not high enough.]

Dr Stoll also recommends taking vitamins C and E with omega-3 (1.5 to 3.5 grams of omega-3 a day, taken with food). He does not suggest using cod liver oil, as high amounts can lead to hypervitaminosis A. In buying fish oil, make sure you receive a 90 percent concentration (in the past only 30 percent was available.) Be sure it contains more EPA than DHA, and that it has no heavy metal concentrations.

Dr Stoll recommends fish oil capsules over a diet of cold water fish such as salmon or tuna, citing toxic ingredients as a reason for not going with fish. Even one can of tuna a week is too much, he asserts. Andrew Weil MD - the natural health guru recommends eating fish twice or three times a week, and cautions against capsules that may contain toxic contaminants. Both doctors agree that any fish you eat should be ocean fish rather than farm-raised fish. This is because omega-3 travels up the food chain from algae, while farm-raised fished are fed grains, which do not contain omega-3.
    ……….

http://www.gmhcn.org/files/Wellness/...rDisorder.html

-- Holger Kalweit

Link omega 3, offers compilation news about omega 3.

http://www.expertomega3.com/

Hugs
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress

Good find, Parox! Thanks!

-- Holger Kalweit