Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega-3

Alex -- Great! I moved your posts to here.

When you say you are taking 3,000 mg fish oil, how much EPA and DHA are in each pill and how many pills are you taking per day? And how long have you been taking this dose?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Alex -- Great! I moved your posts to here.

When you say you are taking 3,000 mg fish oil, how much EPA and DHA are in each pill and how many pills are you taking per day? And how long have you been taking this dose?
    I´m not sure, but I think I´ve being taking it for about 5 months; 3 pills a day. Today I had 4.(4.000mg)

EPA 180mg / DHA 120mg

OK, to clarify -- if I understand, you are taking 4000 mg of fish oil, but only (180 + 120) x 4 = 1200 mg of Omega-3. We are interested only in the Omega-3 level. But, you are going up *slowly* which is very good.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

OK, to clarify -- if I understand, you are taking 4000 mg of fish oil, but only (180 + 120) x 4 = 1200 mg of Omega-3. We are interested only in the Omega-3 level. But, you are going up *slowly* which is very good.

Mmmm, I didn´t know that.How much is the other people taking? How much are you taking?

Mmmm, I didn´t know that.How much is the other people taking? How much are you taking?

I have just slowly gone up to 9,000 mg Omega 3. In early w/d I was on about 2,000. A few years ago, I went up to 4,000. Since November, I have been raising my dose with the goal of 9,000.

The fish oil amount is irrelevant. I do not know why they put it on the bottle.

-- Holger Kalweit

I have just slowly gone up to 9,000 mg Omega 3. In early w/d I was on about 2,000. A few years ago, I went up to 4,000. Since November, I have been raising my dose with the goal of 9,000.

The fish oil amount is irrelevant. I do not know why they put it on the bottle.
    I buy my fish-oil from GNC, I´m gonna find out if they have another fish-oil with higher EPA/DHA.

How many pills is 4.000mgs?

I use Trader Joe's brand (a US grocery chain). The pill has 400 EPA / 200 DHA. I take 15 per day (3 x 5) = 9,000 mg Omega-3.

I have heard that NOW brand is a good price with a high dose so you don't have to take as many pills.

-- Holger Kalweit

Q. Can marine algae omega-3s provide the same benefits as fish oil?

A. Unclear.

…But for many people--those allergic to fish, or vegetarians and vegans, for example--relying on fish sources is not an option. And many experts express concern that fish oil supplements may not be sustainable, considering depleting fish stocks in the world's oceans.

Fortunately, an ever-increasing number of supplements, widely available in health food stores and on the Internet, derive EPA and DHA from marine algae, a diverse set of photosynthetic organisms that make these fatty acids. Marine algae is grown in controlled environments and the oil is extracted and concentrated into supplements. In fact, fish get their EPA and DHA by eating marine algae, as well as krill and other fish.

Diving into omega-3 science

Whether marine algae supplements provide the same health benefits as fish oil is still unclear. Generalized comparisons are difficult because the two products vary so greatly in both the amount and ratio of EPA and DHA. Most marine algae supplements provide more DHA than EPA.

A meta-analysis published in the January 2012 issue of the Journal of Nutrition concluded that DHA from algae reduces blood triglycerides and increases "good" HDL cholesterol and "bad" LDL cholesterol in persons without coronary heart disease. However, the researchers noted that DHA supplementation--even from fish sources--increases LDL particle size, which may offset risks for increased LDL as small LDL particles are particularly linked with heart disease risk.

A review published March 2012 in the same journal focused on the individual and combined cardiovascular effects of EPA and DHA, rather than their food source. This review concluded that both EPA and DHA lower blood triglycerides and decrease blood clotting and platelet aggregation (clumping of platelets); DHA or combined DHA and EPA levels are associated with lower risk of fatal cardiovascular events; and DHA is linked with lower risk of atrial fibrillation, irregular heart beat.

The bottom line is that most Americans, particularly those who don't eat fish, don't consume enough DHA and EPA. Increasing your intake, whether from fish or algae, should be beneficial to your cardiovascular and overall health.

(Reprinted with permission from Environmental Nutrition, a monthly publication of Belvoir Media Group, LLC. 800-829-5384. http://www.EnvironmentalNutrition.com.)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health...,7884400.story

-- Holger Kalweit

Wow, that's some really interesting info! Bump!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.