Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega-3

Causes of Acute CNS demyelination:

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Acute CNS demyelination. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctorabout your symptoms.

Wernicke's encephalopathy
    Lead encephalopathy
    Alcoholic encephalopathy
    Hydrocephalus
    Alcohol overdose (see Alcohol use)
    Chemotherapy
    Spastic quadriplegia (see Paralysis symptoms)
    Epilepsy
    Aneurysm
    Korsakoff's psychosis
    Meningitis
    Narcotic overdose
    Benzodiazepines
    Sedatives
    Barbiturates
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

ok from what I am reading here, the peripheral nervous system is much more likey and easier to repair than the CNS, this worried me at fist but looking closer the PNS consists of the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous system, in the CNS is seems that after demyelination scar tissue quickly forms preventing repair of myelin, this happens less in the PNS.

damage done in the CNS would manifest a little like MS symptoms, and seems the repair is limited (although of course no one is trying omega 3 megadosing) but repair in the PNS is much more likely, perhaps especially with omega 3 megadosing.

I also read but I cant find the bloomin article again that the Schwann cells and oligodendrocytes that respectivly repair the PNS and CNS put out 'arms' that can be up to 1 meter in length...and that under optimal conditions they would regenerate at a rate of 1mm per day....so a 1 meter 'arm' from that cell would take over 3 years to reach its target, and I wouldnt say we are under optimal conditions either.

It seems to me that this is EXACTLY what is going on, demylination, another thing I read that cause demylination is aspartme (sp) that fake suger etc. and we know we react badly to that.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

sorry last post, like I said before please move all this to a thread of its own called myelin research or something so as not to clog up this wonderful thread, but I found the article I was looking for earlier

PNS sensory and motor axons may exceed 1 m in length. Since PNS axons lack ribosomes, the supply of essential structural proteins and enzymes to distal regions derived from the neuronal perikaryon must be transported through the axons for great distances (see Chap. 28). The proteins that polymerize to form neurofilaments and microtubules as well as many enzymes move centrifugally at 1 to 10 mm/day. Organelles such as neurotransmitter vesicles and mitochondria are transported through the axoplasm at velocities of greater than 100 mm/day by a process involving interactions between kinesin and microtubules [8]. Conversely, proteins internalized by the nerve terminal are translocated toward the neuronal perikaryon at approximately 100 mm/day, employing a mechanism in which dynein and microtubules play roles [9]. PNS neurons with long axons are particularly vulnerable to disorders that compromise either perikaryal synthesis of axonal proteins or the local axonal machinery responsible for axoplasmic transport. Long axons are also more likely to sustain localized damage owing to trauma, ischemia or other noxious influences.

here is alist of commen MS symptoms, see many many familiar symptoms here..

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/mssymptoms.html

again, really sorry to keep posting all this, please move to a new thread somewhere, but it is all very interesting, to me at least lol

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy131313 View Post
    it concerns me that people were having a bad reaction to fish oil on SAs thread, especially as people were saying that it increased their inner restlessness/akathisia, especially as it makes sense to me from all this reading that omega 3 should REALLY help us##

im scared but i want to try it
    it could have something to do with oxadative stress in that they were getting a toxic load from the fish oil. I am just speculation but there is evidence that fish oil is highly oxidative.
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

Ha ha! Iggy’s on it like a heat-seeking missile! Good stuff, Iggomega!

Don’t worry about what they say about limited potential for repair. I’m not even aware of anyone trying mega-dose Omega-3 for MS, which is a study begging to happen. So far, all you’re seeing is people’s self-repair based on a horrible Omeg6:Omega3 Western diet. It’s amazing they can do any spontaneous self-repair at all.

Thanks for being so flexible about where to put this myelin bonanza, but this seems like a good place for it.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Bruno – I had another thought about the Kessler concern about oxidation. Note that the Inuit and the Japanese and a couple of other cultures eat way, way more Omega-3 via fish than Americans do. So, as long as your fish oil pills are well-made, what’s the difference between eating fish straight or fish squished into a pill?

An American would have to add almost 4000 mg to her/his daily diet to catch up with the average Japanese. And the Inuit ate 14 – 19 g a day – before they were corrupted by a Western diet.

OK, ha ha, here’s a sneak peek from my upcoming blog essay! --

There is some evidence that we are in a nearly global dietary crisis of grossly imbalanced Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. Omega-6 is another class of essential fatty acids. We need Omega-6, and it has various functions, including being necessary to trigger an immune response, including necessary inflammation. However, research suggests that humans evolved on a diet that had a 1:1 ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3. Today, around the globe, the Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio measures 5:1 to 50:1, usually worst in the industrialized countries (Simopoulos, 2002b; Simopoulos & Cleland, 2003). There is little doubt that this dietary ratio is contributing to the global burden of disease.

The three countries that have the highest consumption of fish and thus Omega-3 are Malaysia, Japan, and Iceland. The U.S. falls in the lower half of 38 countries studied. The average American would have to supplement with 3,667 mg Omega-3 per day just to equal the dietary intake of the average Japanese (see chart http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83...expansion.html, Hibbeln et al., 2006b).
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    gD – is this it? --

1 ml of your liquid = 271 mg of EPA + DHA

10 ml of your liquid = 2,710 mg of EPA + DHA
    Yes, hat's it. Therefore I am taking 2.170ml right? I do this at breakfast. I started probably at least a month ago. I have been thinking of takinganother dose at night time (evening meal). Do you take it allat once or several doses?

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    This thread is very long. Can someone please summarize how much EPA & DHA one should start with and work up to, somewhere prominent in the thread? Thank you. I have been trying for days to figure this out and have not yet.
    Can I just add my two bobs worth and suggest that for some of us much of the ino is way, way too long. I am now thinking that by the time my head is able to read and understand and digest it, I probably won't need the info? Perhaps after the long inf, a short summary of the very, basic parts of it (one paragraph would do me). Another idea I had is to highlight the most important parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Ruby – You can start with approximately 500 mg total of EPA + DHA. The exact split doesn’t matter. Then, watch your reaction to it, and, if all goes well, add another pill every two weeks.

We don’t know how high to go yet. This is cutting-edge clinical research we’re doing together. But, other people are currently using 9,000 – 18,000 EPA + DHA for other neurological injuries and serious psychological problems.
    The 500mg you siggest, that is the same as 500ml, right?
    When you ay 9,000 - 18,000 do you mean ml. How does that translate to a measure? A spoonful? A cupful???

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to work outhow much you take, because a cup is 250ml so to take 9,000ml I just cannot understand, it seems a huge amount! I must have it wrong, surely!