Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega-3

also I notice razzle (who has had a REALLY hellish time ugh) posted about taking part in the trials at that clinic, HOWEVER I have looked up salmonj and histomine and salmon is very high in histomine, could explain why he had such a bad reaction, maybe?

from what I have researched there is no histomine in fish oil, i think...

this is all very exciting dont you think?
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

also, can myelin loss been seen on scans? if so then surly this would have been pickjed up? it must be visable or would drs have to be looking for it?
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

ok just saw this...

MRI- This imaging technique may reveal MS lesions, which are caused by myelin loss. An intravenous dye, gadolinium, will highlight "active" lesions that have developed within the past two months and this may help doctors know whether the MS is in an active phase, even if no symptoms are present indicating an attack of MS. Newer MRI techniques can provide even greater detail about the degree of nerve fiber injury or permanent myelin loss and recovery

now then...if lesions or spots on the brain are a sign of myelin loss then thats DEFFO whats going on, how many people have we seen have spect scans and show up white spots? LOADS...

and this that clarifys that myelin loss does not show up on a brain scan

An MRI does not show myelin damage. An MRI is used to obtain an image of the brain to show if lesions are present. Myelin damage in MS patients takes years to show up. At the early onset of MS, a person does not have lesions. And yes, you could have a perfectly normal MRI and still have MS. It is not unusual for it to take years to obtain a definitive diagnosis for MS. Doctors can also do a spinal tap to help in determining if you have MS. The spinal fluid sometimes will contain the broken down components of myelin. But ten percent of people who have MS will not have any myelin in the spinal fluid. A spinal tap is not absolute proof that a person has MS. Hence the spinal tap could also indicate that you do not have MS even though you might actually have it. I strongly suggest that you go to a neurologist who specializes in MS to run the tests. Nerve conduction tests will also not show if a person has MS if the disease is in its early stages. It takes a tremendous amount of training to determine if a person has MS, and a general neurologist could easily make the wrong determination.

so it seems that scans will only show up severe myelin loss which would manifest as leisons, like shea had, and ritas daughter and many others I haev read about, and lets face it, not many of us have had any brain scans...i bet a high percentage of us have them...but I bet myelin loss is really key here, good reseach sheila, GREAT research

Stan – I understand your discomfort with the idea of mega-dose supplements. As I said to Bruno, it took me nine years of w/d and lots of research to decide to try this.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Iggy – Wow, good thinking! Very helpful info you found! As I said in reply to your comment on the blog – I fully expected you to make some significant contributions to solving the puzzle of w/d. And great point about all the pp’ers who have shown white spots on their MRIs – I forgot about that!

What clinic did razzle participate in trials at? I wasn’t sure what you were referring to.

Re tolerating Omega-3, one option for some people in w/d may be to updose in very small amounts. When I updosed around 2009, out of caution, I did it ultra-slowly with a pill that only had 200 mg EPA + DHA. And I had no problems.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Moui – I added something to post # 106 above because I realized I had forgotten an important factor.

-- Holger Kalweit

its on the SA thread

ok, please move this post if its too long to be on here, I have become very passionate about myelin!! and I was wondering if perhaps the slow deterioration of myelin could be behind the delayed action of onset of withdrawl or a sudden worstening...but Im yet to find anything on how myelin deteriorates but TRUST ME I am o this...

anyway here are a few interesting things I have found...I dont know if myelin should have its own thread somewhere but as we are trying to repair our myelin with Omega3, here may be best

So here is some stuff......

This is from a site giving instruction on how to repair myelin in the body...

Instructions
    1 Reduce chemical and heavy metal toxins in your body. Lower the amount of mercury in the body from seafood sources as well as dental fillings. Limit your exposure to x-rays, insecticides and organic solvents. According to a review of research done by the University of Michigan, people with Multiple Sclerosis had higher than normal levels of these toxins in their bodies.

interesting, I wonder if we could find out if we have this higher level of toxins..sounds likely I think, so ofetn I have seen people complain of feeling toxic or poisoned

2 Consider a physician monitored detox. Detoxification allows the body to strip itself of accumulated toxins that may play a role in myelin sheath deterioration.

3 Increase essential fatty acids in your diet. Myelin is 75 percent fats and cholesterol, and it is 25 percent protein, according to the PMD Foundation. In theory, increasing essential fatty acids provides the body with the building blocks it needs to build and repair myelin as indicated by the University of Michigan Health System website.

ok well thats our Omega 3 right?

4 Increase the body's intake of vitamin D. The University of Michigan reports that in animal studies vitamin D protects against developing Multiple Sclerosis.

ok, well we know that many have reacted badly to vitamin D, BUT also many of us have found that we are deficient in vit D

5 Take a commercial product. According to the University of Michigan, Padma Basic is very effective in treating Multiple Sclerosis. The product is based on a traditional Tibetan herbal formula and may help rebuild myelin.

unknnown to me

Read more: How to Rebuild the Myelin Sheath | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_5275690_rebu...#ixzz2VcCpbHFb

This next piece of info could be an explanation of why people have such varying symptoms, some purely physical, some one thing and some another...

Myelin is always made of lipids of proteins, but it functions slightly differently depending on where in our nervous system it's employed. Our body has a Peripheral Nervous System, PNS, that branches from the spinal cord to carry information related to sensory input, while our brain's Central Nervous System, CNS, determines how to act on that input. Each of these systems synthesizes myelin in a different way, so different complications can result.

Here is just an inetesting fact about myelin...

Myelination of the human brain results in roughly quadratic trajectories of myelin content and integrity, reaching a maximum in mid-life and then declining in older age

shea was told her white spots were 'age spots' this could be that as myelin deteriotes in older age (apparently starting at 39/40) Drs call this myelin deterioation age spots

David Healy said this of course...could he be refering to myelin or similar?

There is no clear understanding of what happens in the brain to trigger such problems but it may be that with extended exposure to an antidepressant, some sensitive individuals lose receptors from the ends of their nerve terminals as part of an adaptive mechanism and when the drug is removed these receptors do not simply return to normal.

If the explanation offered above is even partly correct, it implies that with time the condition should resolve but this resolution may take months or years. It would seem intuitively sensible to suggest that activity, which helps to refashion nerve endings, would help and those affected should therefore be encouraged to be physically active and in general to live life as fully as possible and avoid shutting down or withdrawing from activities.

some very important info going on here, and I find it very exciting too, this really could be it, sheila, you may well have hit the nail on the myelin shieth here!!

OMG CHECK THIS OUT

Remyelination and rerouting occur in the stage of MS where an attack of worsening symptoms, or relapse, is followed by a period of remission when some or all of the function returns.

TAKEN FROM HERE...

There is some worrying stuff here about permenant damage BUT thats because this is about MS which we know is a progressive and permenant condition

What happens in MS?
    It is thought that MS is an autoimmune condition. For some reason - possibly following exposure to an as yet unidentified infection - the body's immune system starts to attack cells within the central nervous system. T-cells manage to pass through the blood-brain barrier where they mistake the myelin sheath for a foreign body and start to destroy it.

The process of damaging or stripping away myelin from an axon is called demyelination. Messages that pass along a demyelinated nerve become delayed or blocked. As the central nervous system controls processes throughout the body, a wide range of symptoms can occur, depending on where the damage has happened.

For reasons that are not yet understood, the attack by the immune system tends to stop after an indefinite period and scar tissue develops on the damaged nerve. The forming of scar tissue over an area of damaged myelin is what forms the plaques, lesions or scarring ('sclerosis') that show up as white blotches on MRI scans. The name multiple sclerosis comes from the fact that it causes areas of sclerosis at different places in the central nervous system.

Once the inflammation caused by the immune attack is over, it is possible for damaged myelin to be replaced, a process known as remyelination. Whether this happens or not depends on damage to the surrounding oligodendrocytes, the supporting cells that produce myelin and which are also attacked by this process. Although the new myelin can work effectively, it tends to be thinner than unaffected myelin and so messages through the affected nerves may not be as fast as before the attack. If there are several periods of damage, the amount of remyelination is reduced.

Remyelination tends to occur in the earlier stages of MS. Over time, with repeated attacks, oligodendrocytes are damaged and destroyed and myelin is not as easily replaced. If an axon is left without the nourishment and protection of myelin it will be more vulnerable to damage.

It has been found that the central nervous system is able to overcome small areas of axon loss by finding ways to reroute messages around an area of damage through undamaged nerve cells. This ability to adapt to areas of damage is called plasticity. Should the area of damage become too large, this rerouting process is no longer able to compensate and messages to or from that part of the central nervous system are permanently blocked, resulting in symptoms that do not improve.

Remyelination and rerouting occur in the stage of MS where an attack of worsening symptoms, or relapse, is followed by a period of remission when some or all of the function returns.

Remyelination, rerouting and the loss of axons can happen at the same time in different parts of the central nervous system.

oooooohhhh....

the myelin repair foundation

http://www.myelinrepair.org/

OMG....How about this one

This type of myelin sheath loss can result in a burning sensation, muscle pain and exaggerated reflexes. If the loss occurs in the central nervous system, you can develop cognitive deficits.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...#ixzz2VcOB4aP2

From wiki

Symptoms[edit]
    Demyelination results in diverse symptoms determined by the functions of the affected neurons. It disrupts signals between the brain and other parts of the body; symptoms differ from patient to patient, and have different presentations upon clinical observation and in laboratory studies.
    Typical symptoms include:
    blurriness in the central visual field that affects only one eye, may be accompanied by pain upon eye movement
    double vision
    loss of vision/hearing
    odd sensation in legs, arms, chest, or face, such as tingling or numbness (neuropathy)
    weakness of arms or legs
    cognitive disruption, including speech impairment and memory loss
    heat sensitivity (symptoms worsen or reappear upon exposure to heat, such as a hot shower)
    loss of dexterity
    difficulty coordinating movement or balance disorder
    difficulty controlling bowel movements or urination
    fatigue

Myelin repair[edit]
    Research to repair damaged myelin sheaths is ongoing. Techniques include surgically implanting oligodendrocyte precursor cells in the central nervous system and inducing myelin repair with certain antibodies. While results in mice have been encouraging (via stem cell transplantation), whether this technique can be effective in replacing myelin loss in humans is still unknown.[5] Cholinergic treatments, such as acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (AChEIs), may have beneficial effects on myelination, myelin repair, and myelin integrity. Increasing cholinergic stimulation also may act through subtle trophic effects on brain developmental processes and particularly on oligodendrocytes and the lifelong myelination process they support. By increasing oligodendrocyte cholinergic stimulation, AChEIs, and other cholinergic treatments, such as nicotine, possibly could promote myelination during development and myelin repair in older age.[6] Glycogen synthase kinase 3β inhibitors such as lithium chloride have been found to promote myelination in mice with damaged facial nerves.[7]