Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: General diet/Supplements

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    re. hair trigger emotions: One of my (and lots of other's) pet peeves is dealing with large bureaucracies/ companies on the phone. At best of times I can get frustrated with that process.
    I must have overlooked this post. Red tape - a self-perpetuating nightmare. 99.9% of all the absurd regulations could be easily done away with. And it's like this almost everywhere. Oh, well...
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Drew Ramsay, MD, of Columbia University elaborates:

“Emerging research in the fields of neuroscience and nutrition show that people who eat a diet of modern processed foods have increased levels of depression, anxiety, mood swings, hyperactivity, and a wide variety of other mental and emotional problems. One study found that adolescents with low-quality junk food diets are 79 percent more likely to suffer from depression. Another found that diets high in trans fats found in processed foods raised the risk of depression by 42 percent among adults over the course of approximately six years. And a huge study of women’s diets by the Harvard School of Public Health concluded that those whose diets contained the greatest number of healthy omega-3 fats (and the lowest levels of unhealthy omega-6s) were significantly less likely to suffer from depression.”
    ….

The health benefits of eating Mediterranean foods have been well documented. People whose diets incorporate a healthy serving of fresh vegetables, olive oil, fish, whole grains, and fruit are at lower risk for heart disease and cancer, the two leading causes of death in the United States. They are also at lower risk for diabetes and Alzheimer’s. They are better able to control their weight and cholesterol levels; they tend to be more alert; they exhibit less depressive symptoms; and they may live longer.

Patricia Ford, the lead author of the study….and her team at Loma Linda University examined the eating patterns of over 9,000 healthy Seventh-Day Adventists in North America over a four-year period.
    ….

The researchers found that those who eat like Greeks [ie Mediterranean diet] feel more inspired, alert, excited, active, inspired, determined, attentive, proud, and enthusiastic than those who consume a more typically American diet consisting of highly processed foods, soda, and sweets like cookies and doughnuts.
    ….

http://nhne-pulse.org/why-seventh-da...althier-lives/
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Heres an article on Foods that heal nerve damage

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...-nerve-damage/
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Some really important info. In WD, the listed symptoms can get augmented still further;

Six signs you might have gluten sensitivity and not know it

(NaturalNews) Recognition of gluten sensitivity and the consequence of Celiac Disease if that sensitivity is ignored is not so easy to determine early. Medical tests fail often enough, turning up negative while people who are gluten intolerant continue to suffer a plethora of symptoms.

Those people are often told it's all in their heads after testing shows up negative. But traditional gluten intolerance blood testing looks for only one of six polypeptides in wheat, gliadin.

There are five others: wheat germ agglutinin, glteomorphin, gltueinin, prodynorphin, and omega gliadin. Any one or a combination of these five can cause anyone to have reactions to wheat.

Symptoms alone can be attributed to several other issues. Even gluten intolerant or Celiac Disease sufferers will manifest a variety of different symptoms. It's rather complex.

This article will list six common symptoms and then advise on how to make sure you are or are not gluten intolerant after spotting symptoms that are all too familiar to you.

Sometimes these symptoms appear right after meals and don't last long. In other cases, the symptoms can last for weeks or even chronically, which then often leads to a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease instead of gluten intolerance.

Six common symptoms of gluten intolerance

(1) Obviously, there are gastrointestinal (GI), stomach, and digestive problems. These can include one or some of the following: Gas, bloating, queasiness, abdominal cramping, constipation, diarrhea, or an alternating combination of both - IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

(2) Headaches and/or migraines.

(3) Fibromyalgia is not a disease, it's a syndrome. Getting a medical diagnosis is bogus. You don't need to be told you have muscular and connecting tissue aches and pains. That's what fibromyalgia means. Fibro= Connective Tissue; Myo= Muscle; Algia= Pain. Thus fibromyalgia.

(4) Emotional issues involving chronic irritability and sudden, irrational mood shifts.

(5) Neurological issues, including dizziness, difficulty balancing, and peripheral neuropathy affecting nerves outside the central nervous system and resulting in pain, weakness, tingling or numbness in the extremities.

(6) Fatigue, whether chronic or almost after every meal. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is, like fibromyalgia, a syndrome, not a disease. If that's what you're diagnosed with, it means your doctor can't locate the cause of your fatigue.

Yes, all of these symptoms are common to other health issues and diseases. That's why symptoms alone as a diagnosis is perplexing.

How to make a final decision

First, list every single symptom that nags you, whether sporadic or chronic. Don't make assumptions, like my back problems are from sitting too much. Just list them without trying to explain them away.

Then, go on a gluten-free diet for 60 days. If you feel you can't, that may already indicate you're addicted to gluten. We are often addicted to things we're allergic to.

That gluten-free diet would include wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, oats, and triticale which are grains with gluten. Quinoa, buckwheat, and sorghum grains are gluten-free. So is rice.

Packaged foods have different ways of sneaking in gluten. Read those labels carefully. Here's a reference site and source for all foods (http://www.celiac.com/). This can be simplified by ignoring processed foods, sauces, and salad dressings and preparing meals from bulk items.

After the 60-day period, go over your notes and see how many of your symptoms remain. If they are mostly gone, you might decide to stick with your gluten free diet. If you're uncertain, go back to your former diet to see if those symptoms come back with a vengeance.

After a six month gluten-free period, it may be possible to gradually incorporate some of the foods you've abandoned without consequences.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038170_gl...tolerance.html

Bump to the thread with an important piece of advice; figuring out which ingredients in your diet cause worsening may help alleviate the symptoms.

Low Histamine diet

this should be in the alternative healing so please move I cant start a new topic in that area. thanks

Quite a few people are starting to see issues with histamine, we all know that ssris are developed from antihistamine so it figures that we have a massive rebound, or even damage to the histamine receptors...many histamine issues such as rashes, whelts, sinus issues, head pressure, asthma flare ups etc are withdrawal symptoms and also obvious histamine issues

Monica from beyond meds has seen drastic improvement from cutting out histamine from her diet..

I thought we could have a thread about this new discovery, how we can use this info and perhaps even share recipes and food reactions..

I remember Luc saying he reacted to cabbage...very high in histamine.

sadly if you cut all foods with histamine in out of your diet you are not left with much you can eat, not fun, but I am looking into reducing the foods with the most histomine in from my diet.

it seems that the very worst things are

1) alcohol
    2) more or less any cheese (apart from perhaps ricotta)
    3) dried or processed meats - eg - salami, ham, spam etc
    4) most fish, especially blue fish and shellfish (oh no, its my favorite)
    5) Sauerkraut and other pickled foods
    6) Vinegar and foods containing it such as dressings, pickles, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard
    7) anything from a tin especially sardine and tinned fish
    8) chocolate
    9) bananas
    10) spinich and cabbage
    11) strawberrys and rasberrys
    12) yeast
    13) bone broth and slow cooked meats
    14) leftovers - especially meat and fish

I am cutting out all of these foods except for bread and occasional cheese, but only chedder nothing matured, and no dressings or pickles, balsamic vinegar is the very very worst thing.

Also in america there is a test you can have for histomine levels, nothing in the UK as yet, but if you can get one it may be worth seeing if your histomine levels are high
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

natural antihistamine

1) nigella sativa seeds or seed oil - I am considering getting this oil and taking it every other day but I want to see how I do with cutting some from my diet

2) salt on the tongue as we know can be beneficial

here is a link to the low histamine chef website

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/?doin...82446289062500

and here is the first recipe that I got from signing up to her mailing list

LOW HISTAMINE INDIAN SUMMER ROLLS

INDIAN SUMMER ROLLS

You’ll find this recipe, and others, in the low histamine ‘On the Go’ book (please see below to browse through the book).
    TIME: 20 MINS
    SERVINGS: 6-8
    I’ve fallen in love with India these last few months. Not that I’ve been there, just exploring via the kitchen table and a number of Ayurvedic texts. Seems the Indians have been aware of the importance of histamine for a very long time and many of their traditional foods have anti-histaminic properties. For more information on traditional Indian medicine, I highly recommend reading ‘The scientific basis for Ayurvedic therapies.’
    INGREDIENTS

½ cup red split lentils, boiled
    2 cups kale or rainbow chard, finely sliced
    1 medium red onion, chopped
    garlic, minced
    ½ cup coriander, finely chopped
    ½ cup basil
    rice paper
    NOTE

The rolls can be a little fiddly to handle but the end result is well worth the trouble. Lentils are packed with B vitamins and minerals, while the greens offer more than 100% of your Vitamin K RDA. You can serve these with green goddess dressing (pg 29), tamarind sauce (pg 54), or the mango/chili sauce (pg 57), all in the low histamine ‘On the Go’ book.
    DIRECTIONS

Boil the lentils according to the package instructions. Remember, using less water will speed up the cooking time.
    Meanwhile, fry the onions in a little oil, then add the garlic. Once soft, toss in the greens and splash them with a little water. Cook till soft. Now add in the boiled lentils and coriander. Remove from the flame.
    Boil a little hot water and then pour it into a shallow-ish bowl. Allow to cool for a minute, then submerge a sheet of rice paper in it. Don’t let it sit in there too long, it’ll fall apart.
    Gently remove it and then lay it out on a dish. Lay down some basil leaves, Spoon in some greens, lentils, and top with whole basil leaves. Fold the top and bottom over the mix, then start rolling from one side to the other.
    You can serve them like this, vietnamese style, or heat some oil over a medium flame in a non-stick pan. Fry the rolls for 2-4 minutes on each side, taking care not to let them touch each other, or brush them with a little oil and grill them for a few minutes on each side.

Lord hun, I'd have nothing left to eat. You must be feeling better to prepare a dish like that, and the brain fog is not inhibiting your understating of complex ideas.
    Good for you!
    10;mg PAXIL 12 YEARS
    C/T June 2012

I havent made it yet sally, but I plan too, the other night when my akathisia came on really bad and lasted a long time I had been eating loads of branston pickle, im sure that made things worse, also mayo, which is a no no.

I hear you, theres nothing left to eat, today I have had rice cakes with butter on, a chicken leg with potatoes, and water

but since I have been more careful my akathisia has settled down a little...at this point I will try anything ANYTHING

My cog stuff is ok I must say, its one symptom I have avoided well.

but try to cut out those main things if you can, im sure it could help