Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: General diet/Supplements

Sounds like you're on it! For the last several months, I often have to eat something after pills or they just sit in my esophagus -- a slice of apple or nuts. Annoying!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

taking lots of supplements gets so tedious so i was going to start doing a protein smoothie and break open capsules into the drink--calcium, probiotics, nori, chia seeds, etc. But then the w/d nausea hit and I don't want to hit my stomach with a hodgepodge. Better to eat one food at a time and see how we go. W/D nausea is so weird. Ginger, which is my go to remedy for nausea and normally really works, actually seemed to make the w/d nausea worse at one point. The reason its so hard to generalize about w/d is there's a random quality to what's happening-- as the neurotransmitters try to get back into their groove--things are bouncing around kinda helter skelter --- so what may work at one moment might not work the next. Hence, we are the vanguard. It's knd of freaky to think we are experienceing something that no humans before us had experienced because these crazy meds had not been invented yet.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    --things are bouncing around kinda helter skelter --- so what may work at one moment might not work the next. Hence, we are the vanguard. It's knd of freaky to think we are experienceing something that no humans before us had experienced because these crazy meds had not been invented yet.
    Too true, Annie. I'm starting to understand more about what the vanguard means. I feel "helter skelter" today. Hair trigger emotions that are ready to pop at any time. I have to keep myself in check constantly. So exhausting. Ridiculous crying jags that I hide as much as possible but also numb. Not sure how that's possible. I went to the store and wanted to burst in to tears at the cash. Just b/c someone smiled at me! OY......as for the supplements. I looked for Omega 3 and I could only find 900mg. Don't know if that is right or how much to take so I didn't buy them yet.
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Sounds like you're on it! For the last several months, I often have to eat something after pills or they just sit in my esophagus -- a slice of apple or nuts. Annoying!
    VERY! I hear ya.
    On SSRIs and SNRIs since 2005 with no break
    Benzo free since 2010
    Trazodone 200mg since 2008 and recently tapered to 0mg in just over once month (December 2012)
    Cymbalta 120mg since 2008

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way" "The miracle is this......The more we share, The more we have" Leonard Nimoy

Elizabeth -- Have you read the IAWP Vanguard essay? Are you starting Omega-3 from scratch? I thought Trader Joe was the cheapest, good brand, but I've heard NOW might be. You might want to start with a lower dose just to make sure you tolerate it, and then build up slowly.

Annie -- Love your new avatar!

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

re. hair trigger emotions: One of my (and lots of other's) pet peeves is dealing with large bureaucracies/ companies on the phone. At best of times I can get frustrated with that process. I just had an experience which shows how intense w/d emotions can be--due to a frustrating phone interaction, I got a really big adrenaline rush --an over reaction, but which I managed to not express to the person, which would have been very counterproductive.
    I noticed how powerful the neuro-chem emotion was. It's because of this board that I'm able to have better awareness of it. It helps to repeat to myself, "I can control my emotions." and then do something physical like a walk.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

That's great, annie. The adrenaline rushes are really something, aren't they? I have had them over the most bizarre things, like, "Oh! I have to fold the laundry!" Like that's some kind of danger....

-- Holger Kalweit

I notice that an adrenaline surge take a lot out of us--it's both physically and emotionally exhausting -- that power surge that's supposed to help us run away from the tiger and then return to base line after danger's gone. In w/d I think maybe it also takes longer to recover from the adrenaline spike -- maybe the nerves are less resilient and take longer to return to steadier state.
    Sheila-- speaking of folding the laundry. I am trying this approach: consciously alternating doing something I like with something I don't particularly want to do (like chores). This is making me more mindful and identifying what I enjoy. (two main ones are eating and watching movies --ha ha ha just keepin' it real
    This gives a sense of reward for doing something tedious or that I dread (like talking to large govt agencies on the phone!)
    now the thing I want to do --posting -- is done and it's time to change the cat liter. This really just sounds like good parenting--eat your veggies before dessert!!

That's exactly what I do, annie! It's a very good tip! And it has carried me through this long, long time. I'll watch a video or read for five minutes, then do a chore. Lather, rinse, repeat. All day. It also gives you structure if you're housebound.

And, yes, I also think it takes longer for us to recover from the adrenaline spikes, especially in early w/d. It was so tragic for me in early w/d, because I had to walk on eggshells before bedtime to stay calm. If something happened to trigger an adrenaline dump, that meant waiting another 90 minutes before I had any hope of falling asleep. What an ordeal. This has gotten much, much better.

-- Holger Kalweit

What is crucial, no matter if one could have been polydrugged + cold turkey + long-termer. Even if slowly, despite adrenal surges, despite the absurdity of symptoms, it *improves*. WD is a perfect example of looking at glass half -*full*, and reminding oneself of all the improvements that are there already.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.