Yeah, I *think* you've summarized it accurately.....Similar to you, I am a social scientist who finds myself having to grok natural sciences....But, yes, the SSRI's flood the synapses with serotonin. And *that* causes the body to decomisison serotonin receptors.

Caveat -- the body is so complex, that I always think it's more accurate to say "this is one of the things we know is going on; there could be many, many others."

Re: tryptophan, I'm no expert. Personally, I feel safer taking basic building block supplements that are not too targeted, and letting the body figure out what it needs. See, you had the reaction I would expect from the GABA supp. I have been curious about the phosphatidylserine but not wanting to experiment with it.

Are you a vegetarian? If you're eating animal protein, you should be OK for amino acids. If you felt the desire to experiment, I would probably choose a supp that was a balanced mix of amino acids, and not just one. If you do experiment, please let us know what you discover.

Eggsperts << ha ha!