Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exercise

Trying to find some regularities. As we all know, over-exercising will aggravate the symptoms. But, which types of exercises or physical exertion are the worst in your case, that is, which will cause the "worst worsening"? I have some ideas, but wouldn't like to suggest the answers yet. I'll write about them later on. Please, share your experience in this thread if you came up with something.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

to exercise, we need to have chest breathing ok, all muscles good working, all nerves giving good orders to muscles, energy enough, blood good flowing, etc,
    as i have several of these necessary components bad and some very bad, i will not be able to run or swim; and this is since near 4 years off; so i am just able some days to walk as a 90 old and standing as a parkinson like; so i wait healing
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thanks for your post, Stan. There's certain pattern I've noticed in many people, which is experiencing the worsening of symptoms *especially* after lifting something heavier than usual, be it moving things around your place or trying to do (even very moderate) weightlifting, *plus* lifting things (putting them on shelves, etc.) above your head level. Same with the sudden changes in your body position (standing up, walking faster than usual, for even a very short distance). I hope this info will help some of you.

I'd be very interested in hearing if there's anyone here now who (in WD) never experiences/experienced any worsening of symptoms after intense physical exertion (not only some hours after it, but days too).

I think I can walk a few kilometers, that if without setting a goal or objective, because that estresaría me a little.
    My arms are weak point, I feel weakness in the arms, I have no strength and I can not pick up heavy weights. I also notice difficulty in bending, lifting (feel fatigue, need to breathe air)
    Mar/2009 (diacepam+nortriptilina).Aprl-2010 (sulpiride+diacepam). May-2010:Tranxene 20 mg+SEROXAT 20mg
    TAPER BENZO:Apr-2011 20-10mg.; Sep-Nov -2011 taper 10 a 0mg. BENZO FREE 06/11/2011
    TAPER SEROXAT: jul-ago-11: de 20 a 10 mg; Dic-11/jan-10-5mg;Apr-sep-12 5-0mg . SEROXAT FREE: 15/09/2012
    Internal tremor, brain fog, memory, lack of concentration, anxiety. Problem original: Stress

How Exercise Reduces Anxiety

Mad In America July 3, 2013

That exercise reduces anxiety is known, but little is known about exactly how. Researchers from Princeton University have found that exercise increasing activity of local inhibitory (GABA) mechanisms in the ventral hippocampus. Results appear in Journal of Neuroscience.

Abstract →

Of further interest:
    How Exercise Can Calm Anxiety (New York Times)

Schoenfeld, T., Rada, P., Pieruzzini, P., Hsueh, B., Gould, E.; Physical exercise prevents stress-induced activation of granule neurons and enhances local inhibitory mechanisms in the dentate gyrus. Journal of Neuroscience. 2013 May 1;33(18):7770-7. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5352-12.2013.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/07/...duces-anxiety/

Just please bear in mind WD has its own rules. After coming off of drugs, many people suffer from physical exertion intolerance. That is why you need to be careful not to overdo things. With time though, you will be able to figure out the level of physical exercises your body will tolerate.
    Last edited by Luc; 07-03-2013 at 06:38 PM.

I need to get into a gym but I'm afraid something will go wrong. My mom is always trying to get me to go, though.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Theelt, if you feel strong and exercise mild without problem, it is good for healing(for healing in our case, mild exercise is better than strong)
    but if you have problems, so make only some walking until you will be better; we are more fragile actually, do not be brutal with physical body because physical is always linked to psychological
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thank you, Stan. I do walk whenever I can, I am trying to take it slow and not overexert myself. Although in the first month of WD, I did have gym class and I did have to run a mile. It felt kind of strange but I actually ran it faster than I usually do.
    8 weeks on Zoloft in total, including my 4 week taper, ending on May 20th, 2013. Still going through emotional and partially physical hell.

aka Epiphany-
    http://ssriandbenzowdhelp.freeforums.net/

Keep striving for the middle ground, Theelt. It is important to remember that the post-exercise worsening may start even a couple of days later in some cases, so it's difficult to realize there's the colleration and causation between the two at first. Anyway, if you only can tolerate physical stuff, keep doing it.