Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Exercise

walking and dishes at home for me
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

exercise, my walking since a while:

i go outdoor for the first time in afternoon(i try to sleep morning), very heavy chest, heart, spine and shoulders pains, have to stop each 10/15 steps and rest 2 minutes, it is very difficult, after half an hour or one hour, i am able to walk 50 steps to 100 steps and with mild stopping resting, mild pain;
    if i go home, and go outdoor again, heavy pain as before until one hour and then much more easy to walk
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

I would like to mention water aerobics again. The water buoyancy takes the weight off my knee. You can even do it with a float device belt in the deep end--so zero stress on joints. They say that for arthritis type pain, being immobile is not good, but most exercise hurts the joints, except for water aerobics.
    I live in a very grey cloudy winter area and walking outdoors helps the SADD enormously--even when overcast there is far more available light outdoors than indoors.
    There is more to the water class though--I haven't been as happy as I am there in a long time and that is because of the music and the comradery. Many of those who take the class have physical issues. It's basically dancing underwater so I don't have my body self-consciousness issues. Very uninhibited, care free and fun.
    Like a lot of things, the challenge is getting there.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Annie, how do you react to exercises in general? Do you experience any worsening some time after it?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Luc,
    Right after doing the water exercises my knee is almost as good as new--amazing result. Pain returns a bit the next day. So I do understand the discussion here --that it's not all or nothing --it's about doing moderate exercise and not pushing. We can't say with exercise that one size fits all.

Also, I'm taking a break from acupuncture because last treatment was overly stimulating to my leg and afterward I got bad RLS for the first time. You know, a few years ago, I started seeing all those Ads on TV for drugs to treat RLS and it was a syndrome that had never been mentioned before--like it it was a modern invention; and I remember thinking 'I bet RLS is a drug side effect.' Ha--they didn't loose any time inventing a drug for the side effect they created, even though they never publicized its cause!!

I'm getting rls for the first time during this current slow WD.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Stan -- I'm very impressed. You have great mental strength.

Annie -- the water exercise is an excellent idea for many people. And that's very good you're listening to your body and titrating the acupuncture. And, yup, sudden explosion of RLS. Why might that be????
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    And, yup, sudden explosion of RLS. Why might that be????
    I'm absoutely not saying it's in Annie's case, just talking about my own experience - I always have it after too much of exertion. And predominantly at night. Massaging legs helps a bit, sometimes a hot shower. And adding some magnesium.

Yeah, but you mean you have it after exertion *during* neuro recovery from meds, right, Luc? That's what Annie was emphasizing -- that the explosive increase in incidence of RLS in the world is because it's a side effect and w/d effect of many different new prescription meds.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Yes, talking here about what is happening to me during the recovery.

And this RLS pandemic is absolutely drugs, but also the food we eat, water, and a couple of other environmental stuff.

You make an interesting point, Luc. In a way, you're setting up a comparable model to autism. RLS -- which I think of as related to akathisia -- may be on the rise because of the overall toxic load. Just as autism may be.

-- Holger Kalweit