Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Acupuncture

Acupuncture also used to help me quite a bit with my severe PMMD and menstrual cramps, but it was expensive and eventually I got on A/D's for that, because I could get them free from the free clinic.
    But there's no such thing as a free lunch!!!
    Prozac/Birth Control 9 years. Pot 6/09 to 3/11. Female Problems. Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan. CURRENTLY Lamictal from 10/11. Seroquel from 12/11. Remiron from 12/11: 15-30-45-30-15-to 7.5 7/2012, to 3.75 4/1/13. 5/18 3.75/2. Diagnosis Now: Complex PTSD. Regular Acupuncture/EMDR/therapy/yoga class. PERFECT RESIGNATION GIVES THE DEEPEST JOY OF ALL. ACCEPT IT AS YOUR SOLE RESOURCE. -ANANADAMAYI MA
    The Inner Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8DQknrOOc

Ruby -- Ha! I love how you can get free ADs for menstrual cramps! Let's get the whole population on ADs!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Ruby -- Ha! I love how you can get free ADs for menstrual cramps! Let's get the whole population on ADs!
    Why not Sheila!? If you have some hot flashes? AD's can cure that to!! How about some foot pain?

It's like making a deal with Rumplestiltskin. There's going to be a hefty price, in my case total annihilation of the central nervous system. No biggie, right? lol

Ha ha! You said it, m&m. I watch these TV ads for all sorts of meds – not just psych meds – and the actors look brimming over with health, and I think – that med (statin, androgen, whatever) is gonna make you sooooo sick.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

My Dad went to the G.P. for back and leg pain and got referred to a physio. They gave him acupuncture and it cured him.
    When I was in the first few weeks of withdrawal my psychiatrist told me to ask my CPN about acupuncture for the anxiety I was suffering. I did ask her. She said generally people do not have any side effects with acupuncture when withdrawing from drugs of any kind. She did say the sessions were once every 4 weeks as if it was done any more often there was evidence to suggest that it had the opposite effect. Apparently people could lose there inhibitions and do things they would not normally do resulting in an increase in anxiety etc. This put me off because even in the early weeks I realised that I was sensitive to different things. What if this happened to me? I couldn't cope with being any more impulsive or doing something which might embarrass myself or increase my anxiety even more.
    I suppose it would depend on the specific symptom that was being treated or if there was a general way of treating w/d with acupuncture. I'm not really sure about how it would work.
    Started on Sertraline 50mg January 2011 (increased to 200mg over a couple of months)
    Started on Risperidone for 'resistant depression' end of Feb 2011
    Stopped Sertraline October 2012
    Started Mirtazipine October 2012
    Stopped Mirtazipine December 2012
    Stopped Risperidone March 2013

hermi – I have never heard of or experienced (with three acupuncturists over the years) being disinhibited by acupuncture! So, if that is, indeed, that practitioner’s experience, then it’s something about her and her effect on the treatment!

Acupuncture is definitely worth your considering, but our experience with AD WD is that it has to be titrated to about 25% of what the practitioner would normally do and there must be zero stimulating treatment, even if that’s what they would usually do.

-- Holger Kalweit

Yeah I wondered about that. She didn't say that it was specifically her experience she just said that there was evidence that acupuncture for anxiety during withdrawal done more often than every 4 weeks caused the opposite effect and sometimes other problems. Otherwise she said it's very effective. I just have no idea how I would react to it. I never took her up on the offer.
    Started on Sertraline 50mg January 2011 (increased to 200mg over a couple of months)
    Started on Risperidone for 'resistant depression' end of Feb 2011
    Stopped Sertraline October 2012
    Started Mirtazipine October 2012
    Stopped Mirtazipine December 2012
    Stopped Risperidone March 2013