Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: akathisia standing

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    hello Samsara,

you have it describe, i have it as you while standing, but sitting is more easy for me than for you, i have some but bearable; it is physical and mental suffering as you notice;
    you seem to suffer more from cns than i;
    about the shower, since my tapering, i cannot go under a shower, the perceptions are very bad, so i have to wash me with hand clothe;
    as you say, the akathisia is better some time, but comes always back strong;
    we have not reached the point that others say "linear improvements";

i do not plan also, i have only read that some had it 7 years, i cannot imagine when i will no more have this akathisia, what a pleasure to stand quiet!
    our goal is to be as a child: eat, walk,cry,run, laugh just normally

time will repair, ok, but my time is becoming shorter and shorter, soon 61!!!

Stan,

like you, I could not take a shower for a very, very long time due to vestibular problems as well as CNS overstimulatory effects (anxiety) as well as akathisia.

Recently, I have been able to take a shower )some days) rather than a bath but can only do so in the evening as long as I don't linger too long in the shower. (lol) If I try to take a shower early in the day, I experience CNS over-stimulation.

Just want to let you know that you will eventually be able to handle taking a shower.

I understand that the older one's age.... the scarier things become since, it's not as if one has 30 more good years ahead. But it's better that you got off these drugs at this age than at age 70 or 80. I can't imagine having to go through WD at such an advanced age.

You will have some very good years ahead of you. Hopefully, we will soon arrive at the "linear stage" of WD, as you mentioned in one of your posts.

May Linear WD and Sensationally Shower Filled Days Soon Arrive,

Samsara

thank you,

i will re-read all this, you speak well, but we suffer anyway!
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

thank you,

i will re-read all this, you speak well, but we suffer anyway!
    My pleasure Stan and I thank you for your comment. Yes, we still do suffer but it won't be forever even if it feels like it's been forever. (lol)

Samsara

akathisia, i wish it for all doctors and psychiatrists who prescribe

i am straight in a crisis, my walk has been shorter, as Samsara explained, i have all symptoms,
    i met someone and had incredible difficulties to talk with;
    once again, i surfed "akathisia" on forums, and found someone who have it since 8 years, some who had and it is gone;
    how long will it be as strong?
    i have to wait it will be more bearable,

Hi Stan, I agree 100% with Samsara…we do not always know the full story of what we read on the internet. The akathisia let up in stages…kind of like the waves that are talked about. Sometimes I felt like it couldn’t get any worse only to have another bout that was. As time went on I felt like I was having waves of what I called residual akathisia…it wasn’t full blown, but I felt like it was a “lower version” of it. I just want to emphasize that it is COMPLETELY gone.

I see that you are 30 months out…you have come a long way, it was around that time that I knew I was going to get through it, but it did take more time. I even had some periods where I thought I was almost out of it, but unfortunately wasn’t.

One thing that I think is VERY important while you are waiting to recover: is there anything you can do like a hobby or something you can focus on even if it is only for a minute at a time? A pet…something that you can place more importance on instead of the recovery…something you may have always wanted to do, but didn’t have time for? I took a watercolor class and a couple of other non-credit classes…sometimes I felt like I couldn’t sit still in the class, but no matter how bad I felt I forced myself to go. I also played games on the computer….Pogo and Facebook have some good games...anything to divert your attention away from the symptoms.

I know, Stan, it is hard to believe while you are in the thick of it…but, please, know that you will recover from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Hi Cindy.........

so sorry to hear that you had to endure this torturous symptom but I'm so happy to hear that you are finally free from it! Thank you for taking the time to post to us to relay that this symptom fully resolved. I appreciate your efforts to reassure us.

Samsara
    You are welcome, Samsara...I hope you are better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    You are welcome, Samsara...I hope you are better soon!

Thank you so much Cindy!

Samsara

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Hi Stan, I agree 100% with Samsara…we do not always know the full story of what we read on the internet. The akathisia let up in stages…kind of like the waves that are talked about. Sometimes I felt like it couldn’t get any worse only to have another bout that was. As time went on I felt like I was having waves of what I called residual akathisia…it wasn’t full blown, but I felt like it was a “lower version” of it. I just want to emphasize that it is COMPLETELY gone.

I see that you are 30 months out…you have come a long way, it was around that time that I knew I was going to get through it, but it did take more time. I even had some periods where I thought I was almost out of it, but unfortunately wasn’t.

One thing that I think is VERY important while you are waiting to recover: is there anything you can do like a hobby or something you can focus on even if it is only for a minute at a time? A pet…something that you can place more importance on instead of the recovery…something you may have always wanted to do, but didn’t have time for? I took a watercolor class and a couple of other non-credit classes…sometimes I felt like I couldn’t sit still in the class, but no matter how bad I felt I forced myself to go. I also played games on the computer….Pogo and Facebook have some good games...anything to divert your attention away from the symptoms.

I know, Stan, it is hard to believe while you are in the thick of it…but, please, know that you will recover from this.
    thanks Cindy,

you have explained how akathisia (and others) heal, with waves of residual, it is rare to read this from people who recovered; i have not reached these "residual" enough and therefore i have doubt i am wrong(it will be for ever or worse). When the waves come(akathisia or fibromyalgia...) all is worse, dry mouth, nocturia, and even new symptoms which were gone appear stronger (dizzy/vertigo, weakness,)
    For the hobby, i think i have anhedonia mixt in anxiety, i focus near totally on my withdrawal because it destroys my life each moment; i know you are right to think on another things, i try, but my life is very narrow since tapering; as Samsara, i cannot read long time, cannot look tv long time, cannot focus on something outdoor or a kind of akathisia mental suffering comes,
    for the future i will have to interest more other things, but today only minutes can be given; i have an empty life only filled by withdrawal, i can plan nothing, always save me; when we live alone it is more difficult until we reach these "residuals", even when the worst is behind maybe;
    thanks for your descriptions, it will make me busy to understand and give me a better natural goal.
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg

thanks Cindy,

you have explained how akathisia (and others) heal, with waves of residual, it is rare to read this from people who recovered; i have not reached these "residual" enough and therefore i have doubt i am wrong(it will be for ever or worse). When the waves come(akathisia or fibromyalgia...) all is worse, dry mouth, nocturia, and even new symptoms which were gone appear stronger (dizzy/vertigo, weakness,)
    For the hobby, i think i have anhedonia mixt in anxiety, i focus near totally on my withdrawal because it destroys my life each moment; i know you are right to think on another things, i try, but my life is very narrow since tapering; as Samsara, i cannot read long time, cannot look tv long time, cannot focus on something outdoor or a kind of akathisia mental suffering comes,
    for the future i will have to interest more other things, but today only minutes can be given; i have an empty life only filled by withdrawal, i can plan nothing, always save me; when we live alone it is more difficult until we reach these "residuals", even when the worst is behind maybe;
    thanks for your descriptions, it will make me busy to understand and give me a better natural goal.

Glad I could be a little help, Stan...

Just so you know...for the first year and almost a half I couldn’t watch TV at all...then my son became very interested in basketball so I made myself watch the games with him. But, I didn’t start watching everything on TV again until maybe the three year mark. Timelines are starting to fade for me....I have a couple of journals of the time, but really have no desire to read through them. The Pogo game site (I’m guessing you can access it and you can play games for free.) has a “mindless” game that I played over and over when I felt like I couldn’t do anything. It is called “Poppit”. The idea was just focusing on something else.

Anyway, Stan, I can only imagine how hard it is to live alone going through this, but I can’t emphasize enough that you WILL get through it. I hung on every positive word that Lilly and others gave me while I was in the thick of it. I’m happy to answer any questions that you have anytime.

thank you Cindy,

i will see all your ideas ...but i am not enough ready actually, i am too much suffering...

Stan has an interactive computer game called..........IAWP.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit