Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: akathisia standing

akathisia standing

since my first day of tapering i suffer from standing akathisia, it is be unable to stand quiet with anxiety and tension, impatient,

i have this since three years and a half, sometimes less, sometimes worse, i read some have it until 7 years,

What a torture ! and i have not the worst grade i see,
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Hi Stan........

So sorry you're still dealing with this symptom.

I very much can relate regarding akathisia. I have been dealing with it all during my brutal taper as well as post taper.

Like you, I can't stand in one spot for long. For example, when I am washing the dishes I have to stop part way through since, not only my legs, but my whole inner energy becomes very restless, agitated, impatient, nervous and distressed and thus, I need to move in order to reduce the inner physiological as well as mental "screaming" sensation.

It's so hard for me to complete any one task due to, not only the physical akathisia but also what I call "mental akathisia". My mind becomes very agitated and anxious and I can't keep interest nor concentration on anything for more than a few minutes. Many times......only for a few seconds. Decision making is still a huge problem although I did have about a week and a half or two week period where I obtained substantial relief from this symptom as well as a few other symptoms.

I can't read anything lengthy since, the mental akathisia becomes ignited. I also cannot watch a full movie due to both physical and mental akathisia.

I can't relax on the sofa. It's like my body is too agitated inside and so I have to sit but can't do so for long.

The computer also is a problem for me both mentally and physically. The inner restlessness and agitation repeatedly force me out of the steno chair. Most times I have to construct posts in my email acc't since, I have to take many breaks and get up and move around for a bit.........then come back to the computer to type a bit more.

Hot showers and baths also create akathisia along with a lot of skin sensations. The heat activates my CNS so I must bathe quickly and in warm water not hot. I so look forward to the day when I can take a long relaxing hot bath and actually feel relaxed during and afterwards. (lol)

With all that said, although I still deal with this symptom it isn't anywhere near as torturous as it used to be. It's become much easier to manage but I am restricted by it (as mentioned above). I also do get short but intenser flare-ups that can feel very distressing.

It's always worse in the mornings but I would also get hit with it late in the evening, before bedtime. Still have it in between those times but it's not as distressing.

I don't plan on suffering from this symptom for 7 years. I think those who have this symptom for so long are those who have taken other drugs and/or psychoactive herbs during their recovery period. Even those who have this remaining symptom usually are no longer tortured by it after the 3 or 4 year mark. Rather, it is of much lower intensity and sporadic in nature from what I understand.

So, we WILL be free of this symptom Monsieur Stan. It's just going to take a little bit more patience. Time will repair all this.

Many Akathisia Free Days are in our Future!

Samsara

hello Samsara,

you have it describe, i have it as you while standing, but sitting is more easy for me than for you, i have some but bearable; it is physical and mental suffering as you notice;
    you seem to suffer more from cns than i;
    about the shower, since my tapering, i cannot go under a shower, the perceptions are very bad, so i have to wash me with hand clothe;
    as you say, the akathisia is better some time, but comes always back strong;
    we have not reached the point that others say "linear improvements";
    I don't plan on suffering from this symptom for 7 years. I think those who have this symptom for so long are those who have taken other drugs and/or psychoactive herbs during their recovery period. Even those who have this remaining symptom usually are no longer tortured by it after the 3 or 4 year mark.
    i do not plan also, i have only read that some had it 7 years, i cannot imagine when i will no more have this akathisia, what a pleasure to stand quiet!
    our goal is to be as a child: eat, walk,cry,run, laugh just normally
    So, we WILL be free of this symptom Monsieur Stan. It's just going to take a little bit more patience. Time will repair all this.
    time will repair, ok, but my time is becoming shorter and shorter, soon 61!!!
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg

hi,

Fibromyalgia has very much lessened actually, now i have more severe akathisia and notice that when i am lying in bed, i have this inner global restless trembling back with a little impatience, nervousness as you describe, it is physical and mental, and a pain in right bladder; i had so many strange pains every where, so i will wait it diminish or go away;

Hi Stan and Samsara, I had the "inner restlessness" very bad throughout my w/d (post drug)...as time went on it was in varying intensity, but I'm happy to say it finally resolved.

thanks Cindy, with years suffering, we lose hope and doubt it will go away;

You are welcome, Stan...I know how hard it is.

akathisia, i wish it for all doctors and psychiatrists who prescribe

i am straight in a crisis, my walk has been shorter, as Samsara explained, i have all symptoms,
    i met someone and had incredible difficulties to talk with;
    once again, i surfed "akathisia" on forums, and found someone who have it since 8 years, some who had and it is gone;
    how long will it be as strong?
    i have to wait it will be more bearable,

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Hi Stan and Samsara, I had the "inner restlessness" very bad throughout my w/d (post drug)...as time went on it was in varying intensity, but I'm happy to say it finally resolved.

Hi Cindy.........

so sorry to hear that you had to endure this torturous symptom but I'm so happy to hear that you are finally free from it! Thank you for taking the time to post to us to relay that this symptom fully resolved. I appreciate your efforts to reassure us.

Samsara

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    akathisia, i wish it for all doctors and psychiatrists who prescribe

i am straight in a crisis, my walk has been shorter, as Samsara explained, i have all symptoms,
    i met someone and had incredible difficulties to talk with;
    once again, i surfed "akathisia" on forums, and found someone who have it since 8 years, some who had and it is gone;
    how long will it be as strong?
    i have to wait it will be more bearable,
    Hi Stan.........

I understand the desire to surf for such information when one is in distress however, as you know, in doing so, we come across horror stories which can land up adding more fear into the present fear equation. Believe me I know from experience.

There is one particular persistent skin sensation that I'm dealing with and I accidently came upon a story of one person who is still dealing with it 5 years later. I wanted to cry when I read that report. However, I needed to remind myself that I do NOT know all of the details of this person's history. Perhaps they utlized an antihistamine for extended periods of time to manage this symptom as well as other WD symptoms and thus, it is a fact that one can experience a negative rebound effect when one ceases the antihistamine. The consequence would be........increased itchy skin sensations. So, I have to utilize this fact to off-set any fears that are generated by reading such stories.

You also must do the same. You have no idea IF this person who is still suffering 8 years out, took an antihistamine or other psychotropic herbs or drugs to deal with their WD induced akathisia. IF they did utilize such drugs they will incur akathisia rebound syndrome as a result of ingesting such substances.

What you are experiencing right now is a "flare up" in akathisia. This is causing you to be filled with fear and despair. This is temporary and it will pass. Believe me I have been presently experiencing a flare-up in several symptoms that are always present but have lately been acting up for an extended period of about two weeks. I know how upsetting and scary it can feel but it WILL PASS!

In fact, the akathisia you feel at present can settle down to a more manageable level a couple of hours from now or a few days from now. So, please try to keep calm and ride this out okay? Remind yourself that it's temporary and NOT permanent.

BTW, there are people who will lie about their situations, claiming that they have not taken any drugs or supplements since, they wish to avoid accountability and/or being reprimanded by others. So, instead they omit critical details in their story.

Others unknowingly get themselves into experiencing long term symptoms NOT realizing that taking other drugs have prolonged their suffering and thus, they are not lying about their situation but rather, are innocently uninformed as to why they continue to encounter long term suffering. So, please try to keep this in mind okay.

You're okay. You are informed and you have refrained from taking any psychotropic substances so you will recover much sooner than those who have not exercised such restraint. You have been incredibly strong to resist the temptation to medicate a torturous symptom. This means that your commitment will soon manifest positive results.

As you mentioned, you just have to hang in there a bit longer.

May you obtain relief from this agonizing symptoms real soon!

Samsara