Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Adverse reaction to SSRI and Alcohol

So today is my acupuncture appointment. I am going to write down what you guys have recommended regarding the calming sensitive treatment and the condition that causes over stimulation to the CNS. But I am slightly worried about whether or not I should do this so close to my chemo treatment (it's Friday). The reason is b/c when I was reading on the subject it said:

ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS TO THE TREATMENT?

Usually not. As energy is redirected in the body, internal chemicals and hormones are stimulated and healing begins to take place. Occasionally the original symptoms worsen for a few days, or other general changes in appetite, sleep, bowel or urination patterns, or emotional state may be triggered. These should not cause concern, as they are simply indications that the acupuncture is starting to work. It is quite common with the first one or two treatments to have a sensation of deep relaxation or even mild disorientation immediately following the treatment. These pass within a short time, and never require anything more than a bit of rest to overcome.

I have been in a window since I bounced back from the last chemo treatment (about a week or so) but have noticed a new symptom.... the eye tremor. It's like my eye ball is moving but I can't see it moving when I look in the mirror, but I can feel it like flinching? This symptom doesn't bother me as bad as the headaches or depression, anxiety, etc.... but still just noting it. Seems like someone else was talking about this symptom in our group but I couldn't find it again when I went looking.

I know the eye tremor well honey...I have it for a few months then it goes then it comes back, mine is usually accompanied by weird feelings in my brain...thinking of you, good luck with your appointment. xx
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

and it would have been me talking about it, it doesnt bother me either I owuld flicker away forever, I just need some relief from this shit
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Personally, I'd wait a bit more, to not have these two things so close of each other, but this is just my opinion - things are often so unpredictable. On the other hand, you've been in the window for a week now, and you could well use this opportunity to check how the land lies - what methods they use, whether they are empathetic in their approach, if you like this accupuncture place, so on. Now, I just contradicted myself in this post. :)

This nystagmus-type of symptom is very common in WD, M&M. I had it, too, and big time. It's gotten better though. Your body is very sensitive b/c of the chemo treatment now, hence the flinching. You could try taking some magnesium perhaps?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy131313 View Post
    and it would have been me talking about it, it doesnt bother me either I owuld flicker away forever, I just need some relief from this shit
    Ahhh, so that's where I saw it... no wonder I couldn't find it... your posts are multiple and long! lol I love how you express yourself so freely :-)
    Wonder why mine just started and you've had yours for months. Interesting.

About the relief thing... I know you do Iggy. I hope and pray for you (& IAWP Fam) often. For me, it almost seems like the severe symptoms come with my chemo treatments, I have to wonder if I wouldn't be feeling a more constant window if it wasn't for the chemo because right now (for the past week) things are well (not perfect, but good). I almost don't like saying it too loudly that I feel WELL for fear it would some how summon the severe symptoms back,,,, ya know?

And I know you will get to a better place of healing too. It will be so wonderful.

I am a single mom with a son too and I TOTALLY HEAR YOU. My god, I still break down remembering the times I could not take him to the park because I was afraid to go outside. And now sometimes he has to hold me while I cry and have the shakes, which just really kills my self-esteem.
    I came from an alcoholic family but never overdid it, until I had been on Prozac for a few years. then suddenly I could drink without consquences (or so I thought) for awhile. eventually I started eating marijuana brownies EVERY DAY. But I was on Prozac, so what's the problem? Have spent almost 2 years now tapering off my cocktail of drugs & alcohol & prescription meds. am applying for disability but seriously planning to go back to work as soon as I can.
    Prozac/Birth Control 9 years. Pot 6/09 to 3/11. Female Problems. Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan. CURRENTLY Lamictal from 10/11. Seroquel from 12/11. Remiron from 12/11: 15-30-45-30-15-to 7.5 7/2012, to 3.75 4/1/13. 5/18 3.75/2. Diagnosis Now: Complex PTSD. Regular Acupuncture/EMDR/therapy/yoga class. PERFECT RESIGNATION GIVES THE DEEPEST JOY OF ALL. ACCEPT IT AS YOUR SOLE RESOURCE. -ANANADAMAYI MA
    The Inner Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8DQknrOOc

Im sure than when the chemo is over you will settle into a much MUCH better place, you are doing incredably well considering how assaulted your system is being with the chemo, REALLY well.

I pray for you also

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Personally, I'd wait a bit more, to not have these two things so close of each other, but this is just my opinion - things are often so unpredictable. On the other hand, you've been in the window for a week now, and you could well use this opportunity to check how the land lies - what methods they use, whether they are empathetic in their approach, if you like this accupuncture place, so on.
    I think I will just go for it Luc. I mean, they use this type of treatment for a long time help cancer patients so I feel the "act" itself will be safe, I called a minute ago to verify a few things and the business mentioned that they use disposable needles. So that made me feel a little better, but I can be a real germ-a-phobe sometimes.

You doing ok lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    I am a single mom with a son too and I TOTALLY HEAR YOU. My god, I still break down remembering the times I could not take him to the park because I was afraid to go outside. And now sometimes he has to hold me while I cry and have the shakes, which just really kills my self-esteem.
    I came from an alcoholic family but never overdid it, until I had been on Prozac for a few years. then suddenly I could drink without consquences (or so I thought) for awhile. eventually I started eating marijuana brownies EVERY DAY. But I was on Prozac, so what's the problem? Have spent almost 2 years now tapering off my cocktail of drugs & alcohol & prescription meds. am applying for disability but seriously planning to go back to work as soon as I can.
    I'm sorry Ruby, there is light at the end of the tunnel. How old is your son? My son is 14 now. I saw you have been doing the acupuncture, how is that working for you? Are you able to leave the house more now?

Well wishes for you Ruby.

Still some way to go, but adding the solved pieces one at a time, until the symptoms are all gone. :)
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.