Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Needinghelp's journal

Hi NH -- You say you feel like you're not here and you feel out of body and you feel extremely anxious. These are all very, very common w/d effects. They are terribly unpleasant, but they are not dangerous. They will absolutely, positively get better all by themselves.

Also, the suicidal feeling is very natural. Of course, you can't imagine living this way forever. But, you will not have to. You will be getting better and better naturally.

You are not familiar with these feelings, and naturally they *seem* like they're a signal that something is wrong and you have to do something about it. But, they are just side effects of your body getting used to being without the drug. They don't mean anything.

1) Say all this to yourself in your head or out loud. All day long. Say reassuring things to yourself all day. Accompany yourself.

2) Try to let the feelings roll over you. You *are* still here and still in your body and still OK, even though it doesn't *feel* like it. Keep remembering that there is always a part of you that is still you and is present, even when you're going through alien, awful sensations. Just let the feelings roll by you.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila. Thank you. I try so hard to keep going, but its hard as things are just getting worse for me. I am scared i have some kind of psychosis or dementia or something and I dont know what to do. When do things usually start getting better?

Needing, i actually sometime have the feeling to become mad, it has not still happened, and it goes away but unfortunately comes back
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

NH -- In w/d it's very common to fear you're going crazy or demented or will die or something else terrible will happen. These are all illusions caused by the *temporary* chemical chaos and reorganization going on in your brain.

I have had all these fears. They are *absolutely* convincing when you are in them, but they are not true.

Now, let me ask you a question -- why did you start taking the meds in 2007? Without revealing more than you want to, can you give us a general sense of the what the issues were? Did you get any other help for the issues besides meds? How are those issues at this time? I ask this because it might be that the neurological stuff is interweaving with pre-existing psychological stuff. If that's the case, maybe we can help you figure out how to get some support for the psych part, while you wait for the neuro part to continue to heal on its own.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I was put on citalopram for depression and GAD, I also have some bad health anxiety, so you can just imagine my horror. The meds never really help at all, just made me extremely tired, hungry and inreturn that made me more depressed. I didnt have bad anxiety or depression, I would say normal like any other person. I was 19 at the time. I have not yet gone to a psychologist or anything. Just psychiatrists im afraid. They wanted to put me on a merry-go-round of meds, but i refused. Even though i am really suffering, i know more meds would not work.

That is very good that you understand what those drugs *really* are and you don't want to go the polly-drugging route, Needinghelp. And yes, what your CNS needs most now is time. It will be *improving*.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

OK, well, it's something to consider that it might be helpful and supportive right now for you to do some other things about the mild anxiety and depression you had when you started the meds. On the other hand, almost no mental health professionals know about w/d, and you want to make sure no one mis-diagnoses you. But, if you could find an open-minded professional who could gently support you about the original anxiety / depression and also about just living through w/d until it heals on its own, it might be helpful.

You might look for people who have dealt with chronic illnesses -- they will understand some of the stresses of w/d, even if they don't know about w/d. You could consider psychotherapy, biofeedback / neurofeedback, a relaxation training class. Or, on your own -- breathing, relaxation, meditation CDs.

You will heal from the w/d automatically. But, sometimes, doing something healing makes you feel like you're, well, doing something! And it can take the edge off, although it won't totally make w/d go away.

-- Holger Kalweit

people who have generalized anxiety disorder before meds(i had) suffer a little more than people who had no anxiety because the psychotropics give their own high anxiety adding to the original; but all this dominish with time, and faster for short termers

Really not doing well. Extremely sad and depressed, crying all the time. I feel really down and my mom is so worried about me she is also crying. I dont know what to do anymore, its like I dont see any way out of this, I feel trapped and it feels like im never going to recover. I feel shaky and the DP/DR Is so so bad, I feel like im not here and its really bad for me. Does it get better :'(

It *does* get better, Needinghelp. It *does* get better. In moments like this, when your spirits are so low, and when WD is at its worst, it's really difficult to imagine it may get better. Yet, our bodies are designed by nature to heal automatically. Yes, we would like it to happen faster for all of us. Granted. But you wil get there. Does your mum know it's all caused by WD? Does she know about the symptoms? Is there a possibilty she could read this forum to learn more about it to be able to help you?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.