Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Types of food our bodies don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy131313 View Post
    ok, heres a controversial thing...

who here smokes?

Luc? you are Polish and in my experience the POlish are big smokers, as are the French so come on admit it you guys! lol!!

I do, and I know it will probably not help but I also know that the stress and chemical changes it would take for me to quit would be nasty in w/d too.

When I was at the kids party the other week and feeling ok, I walked to the side to have a ciggie and I really noticed it have an effect on me, but I couldnt stop so its not an option for now.

I cant even say that Im trying to keep the smoking to a minimum I smoke maybe between 10 and 20 per day, roll ups so not the big nasty chemical filled normal ciggies and I roll them very thin.
    When I had my adverse reaction, I went from smoking 10 cigs to 20 a day. I really can't stand it, but when all this first hit that was basically all I could do was step outside to smoke, even when I was having that feeling that I would die of a stroke or heart attack and my chest was extremely tight from all the anxiety. My therapist said that it probably isn't a good time to quit right now. But... I have considered cutting back b/c when I come through all of this I want to be healthy enough to enjoy the life I have left. Just don't know how to go about doing it.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Well, that's a great attitude, Françoise! But, do you think it might be better to taper more slowly? Maybe go down by 20 % of your usual caffeine intake, and stay there for 2-4 weeks? You don't want to get caffeine w/d, and you don't want to exacerbate dysautonomia.

Also, what about decaf (good quality, safe method) coffee substituted for one of your regular coffees?

Also, what about coffee ice cream? We need to fatten you up! ;)
    Sheila you are once more right: I have to taper slowly! No coffee cold turkey!
    I use to drink decaf coffee but it seems to be too much for me.

I don't like ice-cream...Too cold!!!
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Quote Originally Posted by Cosette123 View Post
    Talking of temperatures in general - how is autumn in France now, Cosette? Suprisingly, the recent days have been still very warm in here.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosette123 View Post
    Sheila you are once more right: I have to taper slowly! No coffee cold turkey!
    I use to drink decaf coffee but it seems to be too much for me.

Sacre bleu! You don't like ice cream?! OK, I will take your serving as well as mine!

Let's see....how else can you get that coffee taste without drinking too much coffee??? Hmm. I don't know.

Are you saying decaf is too caffeinated for you?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by m&m View Post
    When I had my adverse reaction, I went from smoking 10 cigs to 20 a day. I really can't stand it, but when all this first hit that was basically all I could do was step outside to smoke, even when I was having that feeling that I would die of a stroke or heart attack and my chest was extremely tight from all the anxiety. My therapist said that it probably isn't a good time to quit right now. But... I have considered cutting back b/c when I come through all of this I want to be healthy enough to enjoy the life I have left. Just don't know how to go about doing it.
    m&m -- By going up on your cigs, you were probably unwittingly self-medicating yourself in some way that eased the w/d a tad. I second your therapist. I would say stabilize a bit further. You seem to be making good progress. Then, taper slowly off the cigs. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances, and your system is already challenged. You want to give yourself an easy, easy w/d from nicotine, whenever you do it.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

By going up on your cigs, you were probably unwittingly self-medicating yourself in some way that eased the w/d a tad.
    cigs, dopamine and SSRI w/d: when i was in too rapid w/d there is a kind of mental disequilibrium, like a brain chemical has just gone completely out of whack -- the closest to insanity I have ever felt--hard to explain , but you know what I mean--the brain is not firing on all cylinders.
    In this state, When I took a drag on a cigarette, i got almost immediate relief from that w/d symptom.
    Conclusion: cigs have a POWERFUL effect on dopamine and and when you're in w/d you could really use some dopamine.
    Now end of discussion re. cigs because just talking about it is dangerous and i do not want to relapse!
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Can't eat cheese -- my favorite food -- because of sinus. Have had overactive histamine reaction throughout w/d, slowly getting better.
    Same here--I love cheese, but too much is bad for me and it's addictive for me, so better to avoid. All the stores where I live put out free samples of cheese (they know how addictive it is!) I have noticed that free samples are often given of addictive type things like coke and chips (and pharmaceticals.)

My new-monic: eat things with hard C sound: carrots, kale, cabbage
    Avoid those with soft c sound: cheese, chocolate, chips
    Exceptions to this rather silly rule: coke, coffee

Sheila--I can't find where you posted that you drink a teaspoon of coffee. I can't tell you how tough getting off the java has been for me. I switch to green tea. Recently, the craving was out of control and I was mixing coffee and chocolate. Then . . .

I started to get whispers of GERD/heart burn which I had had two severe episodes of few years ago. I looked up and saw chocolate is a suspect in GERD/heartburn.
    (My severe episodes landed me in ER--so bad doc thought it was heartattack) So . . . as much as I love chocolate, fear of acid reflux makes me avoid.
    "It is certain my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul will believe in it." Novalis (quoted in Lord Jim)

Oh, goodness, I'm so sorry you have to be so careful with the chocolate. I really think that once your body has a chance to heal from the meds, you will have more liberty. I have to limit the coffee for the reason of caffeine and anxiety.

Yeah *sigh* I haven't had pizza in years, but I will!

You know, a lot of people seem to crave chocolate in w/d. It may have something to do with the specific chemicals in chocolate and the nature of SSRI w/d. I was craving it intensely at one point. Now, it has calmed down.

-- Holger Kalweit

Yeah *sigh* I haven't had pizza in years, but I will!
    Talking of pizza, I tried eating it in WD, and there's no doubt some ingredients in it stir up the dysautonomia; could be either lots of carbs or the spices. Or both.

You will have pizza again, Sheila. Just a matter of time. Some time ago, I came across this classic from the Back to the Future;

Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hydrate Level 4, please! Ha ha!

For me, it's the cheese and the sinus. My sinus has been *very* bad in my recovery. Slowly improving.

-- Holger Kalweit