Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr David Healy

that article was indeed very interesting, supporting that dropping off at 1 or 2mg is a bad idea as you would still have between 10 and 20% of your receptors downregulated. jesus, we have al been so badly duped.

anyway, yes Citalopram is the same dosing as paxil etc BUT the potency is less than paxil I think, I have seen comflicting dosing charts, some show that 20mg is the same as 20 paxil, some saying that 40mg citalopram is the equivilent in POTENCY to 20mg paxil.

personally I believe it takes around 5 months for the body/brain to catch up with a drop, I say that because of the 5-9 month worstening, my brain registered my CT and went mad at 5 months off. It seems that it could well have been the 4mg-2mg drop that caused my recent trip back into acute hell, 5 months to the day of that drop...thats a possibility isnt it? I now await the 9 month mark from that same drop with fear as I have seen people have a terrible wave at 9 months and think its possible that I will feel the impact of that.

HOWEVER I need to remind myself that although yes I did go back into acute hell at 5 months after the 50% drop, it only lasted around 2/3 weeks, I hadnt seen one day of ANY improvement for 8 months prior to that. of course im still living a total nightmare now but am able to function and even find some small glimmers of enjoyment in the day when my symptoms are not as strong. so if it does hit me at 9 months Im hoping that the acute phase will only last a few weeks, its all I have to hang onto.

The good news is that after that big drop from 4-2mg I have taken things really quite slowly, its been 5 months that I have tapered from 1.5 to 0.56 so 5 months to taper off 1mg, thats quite slow isnt it? so Im hoping that once I hit that 9 months from the last big drop I can breathe a small (very small) sigh of relief that any drops I feel from then onwards were much MUCH smaller.

So, if 5mg downregulates 80%, hmm let me do some working out

so 1mg would downregulate 16% of receptors

0.5mg 8%

0.25 4%

0.12 2%

0.06 1%

0.03 - 0.5%

0.01 - 0.25%

hmmmm, my plan therefore is this

drops

0.56 - 1 more week

0.40 hold for 6 weeks

0.24 NOW ON 4% OF RECEPTORS

0.12 NOW ON 2% RECEPTORS

0.04 BASICALLY O.5% RECEPTORS

0.01 0.25% receptors

now, 0.01 of a mg is the smallest graduation on the syringe, I have put that amount on my hand and it is literally 1 drop of titrated liquid, 1 tiny droplet...so the only way to get a smaller amount would be to instead of titrating the 2mg drop of citalopram liquid with 5ml water, to titrate it with 10ml water...this would then half the amount so I would go down to 0.005mg - this would mean the drug would be working on only 0.12% of my receptors...hmm, maybe still too much but Ill cross that bridge when I come to it...perhaps double the titration again and go to 0.0025 therefore affecting 0.06% receptors?

why oh why dont Drs know about all this, I know Healy is the only one who is acctually trying to find out what the hell is going on in our brains, if only there was funding, I think the only way they will ever know is when technology has move3d on to the point that we have brain scans that can actually detenct the state of the receptors and measure chemical levels, maybe that will happen in our lifetime?
    Put on citalopram July 2009 during a physical illness - didnt need it. 40mg
    went down to 20mg July 2010 CT in Jan 2012 - 2.5 years on.
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    Down to 1.5mg from the failed RI
    Now at 0.48 and trying to stabalize - been 6 weeks
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Iggy, I was just reading your updates and thinking that once you come off the citalopram you would be a little over the one year mark from the adverse reaction (or kindling)? Is that right? Most people recover around 12-24 months from those so it seems you are making good progress. And you are doing a great job keeping up with the taper.

Hi honey xx

when I come off I will be between 18-20 months from the adverse reaction and nearly 2 years from the inicial CT.

I would say most people recover between 24 - 36 months, I think thats the average, heres a lovely story that you (and others) may like to read...have you heard of Matt Sammet? He has a book just out called Death Grip about his ordeal with w/d from benzos, ssris and other drugs, he had a terrible time....I contacted him and here is his reply to me

Hi Caroline
    Nice to hear from you, and glad you were able to connect with David Healy. I love his writing, research, and advocacy on the SSRIs, and Let Them Eat Prozac was a very important book for me after I had a terrible reaction to Paxil. Anyway, I'm not a doctor or health-care practitioner like him, but am of course happy to share my experience.

I'm sorry you're suffering. The more I correspond with people the more widespread I see this is -- the hell of a bad reaction, the hell of w/d, the battle back to health and wellness. I was fully there myself, both with benzos and SSRIs, and all the other junk (mood stabilizers, other ADs) they put me on as well. Total nightmare.

Yes, I felt for quite a while that I would never recover, between the overlapping w/d syndromes, all the damage caused by the pills, and just how long I lived in an acute fear/crazed state once I was off the chemicals but still healing. The first two years were the hardest for me, and certainly the first year, where you are now. And even at year three I could have bad days and wonder, Why this again, why now? Have I not suffered enough?
    But it did end. Every month was better than the last, even if I couldn't see it in the moment, and my worst days in year two were better than my best days in year one. So yes, I had windows and waves for sure -- the windows less so -- I seemed to heal more gradually than others. But the waves I had for quite a while, and would get so poleaxed with fear, depression, and physical pain that all I could do was lie on the couch watching TV with the volume off -- I needed the distraction, but couldn't take the sounds of people's voices. It's been years now since I've felt that way, so clearly it was withdrawal.

I had all the same feelings as you, Caroline, and I feel so incredibly well now that it's almost hard to remember, but I do. I know. I got better, and everyone I've talked to gets better too. The brain and body want to be well and in equilibrium, and they find their way back to it in time.

I really think the acute phase for me was 2.5-3 years, and that after year three I could wake up every day and say, I'm going to do whatever I want today, and have that be true. And even until then, I had plenty of good days, and even weeks, where I felt well. And I was on such a mess of awful drugs, including benzos, that I was probably one of the more extreme cases and did take longer to heal. So if there was hope for me, there is hope for you too!

Thinking of you. You're a brave soul to face this head-on. As a parent of a little one too I know how important it is to be well for them, and I'm glad you have the support of your family.
    Matt

So that was a nice message wasnt it? But Im scared hun, super scared. and Im back to having my most dreaded symptom the indescribable and awful inner restlessness, its not anxiety its an awful awful soul twisting inner restlessness, all comsuming, I hate it the most out of everything, it comes on at around 4-5pm and stays until maybe 7 or 8 sometimes it goes off before that, and some days it doesnt happen, but once it starts it sets in for a while, I cant call it akathisia because I dont have the urge to move my limbs but I dont know what it is, an intense aggitation perhaps? ugh well its awful.

thinking of you.xx
    Tried to restart July 2012 due to 1 panic attack (never had one before - start of CT W/D) - adverse reaction
    now have SEVERE anxiety, akathsia, feel like Im on acid 24/7 depression, D/P, signed off work. Scared of everything..please God let me heal from this

Iggy, that really is a wonderful story of hope and survival. What a great gift to start the day off with. Thank you!

I know it's scary but just remember you have what it takes inside to make it through this, and when you don't God will carry you through and do it for you. Are you eating a well balanced diet and staying hydrated?

The severe unrest seems to come straight from the pits of hell and is so uncomfortable to endure. But your long suffering will pay off in the end. The ups and downs and lessening of the symptoms, etc. is the road to recovery and healing. Your research skills are impeccable. (Iggy can sniff out a SSRI success story like a blood hound.) And these accounts of others who have gone before us, well.... just hang on and that will be YOU as well Iggy.

yes Im like a pig hunting truffles!! (no pig emotican but I liked this one)

you know I said that and its 4.45 here an so far no inner restlessness, and yes it does come from hell, no doubt.

thanks for all your support

oh and yes eating well, drinking well, walking 2 or 3 miles per day, interacting with family, yesterday I was cooking salmon and salad and taking to my hubby about breaking bad whilst crying my eyes out, what can you do but carry on?

duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Yes, the windows are a part of healing.

In this crude graph below (I just made it in Paint very fast), you can see that after every worsening, there's some improvement. Yet, on average, and even if slowly, it does get better.

Hello everybody; here I am, hanging on.

After a hellish month, I am having some improvement both in anxiety and depression.

Now my main concern is money wise.I´m broke.But despite of my bad life situation, I can feel an improvement in the chemical chaos.

I repeat, it is incredible waht your body-mind can endure.

A few hrs. ago I got the terrible news about a close friend who killed himself last Saturday; I´m still shaking. I don´t want to be next.

I am broke and out of work, very scared, barely surviving each day.

Luc, where did you get the graph from??

Thank you all good and brave people.
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Luc, where did you get the graph from??
    I made it myself, Alex.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Yes, the windows are a part of healing.

In this crude graph below (I just made it in Paint very fast), you can see that after every worsening, there's some improvement. Yet, on average, and even if slowly, it does get better.

Hello everybody; here I am hanging on.

After a hellish month I am having noticeable improvement both anxiety and depression.

My main concern now is money wise.I am broke and out of work.I am barely surviving with a little income that I still have.

Despite of my hard life situation, I can feel an improvement in chemical chaos.It is incredible what body-mind can endure.

Luc, where did you get the graph from?

Thank you all good and brave people.

I´m sorry I repeated the shread. My mistake.
    150mgs Effexor for 4 years 2008-2012 for situational Major Depression. No AD before
    Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months / last dose July 26th/2012 aprox.
    Acute W/D first 1-2 months
    Protracted W/D since then and slowly recovering.
    Main symptoms: Anxiety, Insomnia,Anhedonia.
    April 9th- 20th SEVERE DEPRESSION.
    11 months off.Slowly improving