Thread: Big Pharma pushes doctors to overprescribe drugs

Big Pharma pushes doctors to overprescribe drugs

Natural News

September 16, 2012

Know anyone taking prescription drugs? The odds are enormous you do. And it's likely they are taking drugs they don't need because their doctors are too quick to fall under the influence of Big Pharma's aggressive drug sales reps.

Consider these statistics: almost half of all Americans are currently diagnosed with a chronic condition and 40 percent of those older than 60 taking five or more medications. Is it really possible that many people in the U.S. have illnesses that need to be treated with multiple drugs?

This question obviously raises issues about the nature of the relationship between the expanding definition of chronic illness and the explosion of prescription drug use in the U.S. -- issues Michigan State University anthropologist Linda M. Hunt, PhD., decided to research.

Dr. Hunt looked into dramatic increases in the diagnosis of common, chronic conditions and the use of prescription drugs to treat these health woes . She specifically looked at two conditions which can often be relieved with lifestyle changes -- type 2 diabetes and hypertension -- that were treated in 44 primary care clinics.

Her research team interviewed 58 clinicians and 70 of their patients, and observed 107 clinical consultations in order to assess the doctors' treatment strategies and the factors influencing their treatment decisions. They found that doctors usually prescribed at least two or more drugs per condition.

More than half of the patients studied were taking five or more drugs. Interviews with these people showed the cost of the drugs was often a hardship and the patients were often made sicker because of adverse side-effects.

More at;

http://www.naturalnews.com/037221_ov...#ixzz26u53801g
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I know and it is awful. I already talked about my sister who is now on Paxil for 11 years, still feels good on it and thinks she "needs it". She was also one of those who each time urged me to take it again when I got so sick after quitting.
    She still does not want to get my message, many times she urged me to see a psychiatrist for "medicine advice". And when I talked with about the issue, she said that "working is top sport each day" and "she could not handle it without the seroxat". Just to add that almost all her girlfriend were taking something too... And that did not shock her, but only she used it as an argument that I was craxy not to take them, and therefore it was my fault that I lost my job...
    I t still makes me sad and furious sometimes, but also I realize that I am off it now, am building a new life and she will probably see the evil face of Paxil one day, if she does not die before from another cause...

We travelled through the darkest tunnel ever thinkable, but also learned the best lessons of our lives.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    Just to add that almost all her girlfriend were taking something too...
    Unbelievable. At some point, it becomes also a peer-pressure to be on something.

Ack!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

It was on our (Australian) news this week - concern by some child welfare agencies about the number of anti-depressents being given to littlies - aged between 2 and 8! Can you believe it! This is child abuse, surely! Where is the responsibility of doctors???? I think this is disgusting.

My blood boils when I hear it. One thing is adults, but this... But this can be changed, folks. If you find yourself (anyone reading it) at the stage when you are able to add to informing others about it, do *not* hesitate to do so. Commenting on forums, Youtube videos, Facebook, talking to people in *real* life, your family, friends. It *works*, and do not let anybody tell you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaD View Post
    This is child abuse, surely! Where is the responsibility of doctors???? I think this is disgusting.
    shame to these bad doctors!...it is criminal
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish