Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Advice about the stomach

glad you are better!
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Is it mostly nausea, Luc? I had nausea in early withdrawal (7 years ago) and now for the last 11 days I've been nauseous. Six weeks ago I also lost 6 lbs or so effortlessly. My doctor doesn't want to see me but I am a little worried. Can you tell me more about what stomach symptoms you've had since you've been in withdrawal?
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anaïs Nin

Hey, Mike! Those stomach problems and the way I feel them fluctuate big time - no two waves are ever the same. And that's the trick - my subconscious has learnt how to make the stomach symptoms feel as if some real serious stuff was going on. So, each time it turns out to have been purely WD-related it seems to go one better and changes the area, type of experience, its length, etc. I would never believe it if I didn't experience it first-hand. The nausea you mention (the 24/7 one) has fortunately gone away. Though it still has a tendency to suddenly flare up. And when this happens, all reason goes out the window and my mind switches into a hypohondriac mode.

Of course, the real stomach problems may always arise - when being in the middle of it, I start combing through different forums, and it looks like for some people it's nothing unusual to experience prolonged (sometimes even weeks long - or longer!) viruses, infections, etc., especially when their immune system is compromised (vide us). But in 95% of the cases they go away on its own.

Do you have this nausea only during the day? Or it wakes you up?
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Usually for 6 or 8 hours beginning in the morning and clearing in the afternoon. It's of moderate intensity and I've never thrown up but it's been 11 days. It's never woken me up. I am not really thinking of it as a withdrawal thing but it could be. I am a little surprised my doctor didn't have me come in. If I have it next week I think I'll get it checked out. I hate going and it stirs up a lot of anxiety but the nausea is stirring up some health anxiety.

Yes, it's always better to have it checked, just to be on the safe side. Though I have a feeling it may be psychosomatic. Especially when it doesn't manage to break up your sleep. Anyway, keep us posted, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Hey, Mike! Those stomach problems and the way I feel them fluctuate big time - no two waves are ever the same. And that's the trick - my subconscious has learnt how to make the stomach symptoms feel as if some real serious stuff was going on. So, each time it turns out to have been purely WD-related it seems to go one better and changes the area, type of experience, its length, etc. I would never believe it if I didn't experience it first-hand. The nausea you mention (the 24/7 one) has fortunately gone away. Though it still has a tendency to suddenly flare up. And when this happens, all reason goes out the window and my mind switches into a hypohondriac mode.
    Very good sense of humor and very good insight!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Usually for 6 or 8 hours beginning in the morning and clearing in the afternoon.
    Mike -- I think you're pregnant....But, seriously, you know I'm very sorry you're going through this.

FWIW, I just started seeing a chiropractor who also does muscle-testing -- which I've been skeptical about, but I had a very powerful experience with him doing it -- and he said I have parasites from my travels abroad in the past. He started me on a whole-food, plant-based pill with various digestive enzymes. I had a healing crisis -- with diarrhea, etc. -- and now seem to be seeing lots of benefits -- I'm shedding water, I'm cooler (so I had inflammation going on).

I bring this up because I had been thinking of adding digestive enzymes for some time, but, you know, I already take 5,000 supplements, so I was uninspired to add more. But, I have a relative who only has a partial stomach post-surgery who also recently started digestive enzymes and got benefit. They are good for a multitude of conditions related to the gut.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Mike -- I think you're pregnant....But, seriously, you know I'm very sorry you're going through this.

FWIW, I just started seeing a chiropractor who also does muscle-testing -- which I've been skeptical about, but I had a very powerful experience with him doing it -- and he said I have parasites from my travels abroad in the past. He started me on a whole-food, plant-based pill with various digestive enzymes. I had a healing crisis -- with diarrhea, etc. -- and now seem to be seeing lots of benefits -- I'm shedding water, I'm cooler (so I had inflammation going on).

I bring this up because I had been thinking of adding digestive enzymes for some time, but, you know, I already take 5,000 supplements, so I was uninspired to add more. But, I have a relative who only has a partial stomach post-surgery who also recently started digestive enzymes and got benefit. They are good for a multitude of conditions related to the gut.
    Glad you are experiencing some benefits. I am feeling good about doing nothing but would consider something like this or probiotics (I assume they are different) if I don't see some improvement soon.. Day 15 today with plans to go to the doctor next week if no improvement by monday. I could easily ride this out if I knew it was a withdrawal thing but it's the not knowing that's causing a lot of health anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Day 15 today with plans to go to the doctor next week if no improvement by monday. I could easily ride this out if I knew it was a withdrawal thing but it's the not knowing that's causing a lot of health anxiety.
    I'm pretty sure all is going to be ok, though I understand you so well, Mike. I have the exact same going on when I'm experiencing it.

I hope you don't have to go to the doc, but, if you do, do let us know what s/he says. The way I'm thinking of things now for us long, long-timers is that we had such a severe impact on us for so long from the neuro-endo damage, that, even when the neuro-endo damage per se is healing, we may also now have some secondary ailments from the severe, prolonged stresses on the system. This can mean new symptoms show up. But, I really think this just means you have to do something to support yourself -- even if it's just rest and relaxation. I really, really don't think it's anything dangerous.

-- Holger Kalweit