Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Advice about the stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    This summer, I developed really severe foot problems for the first time in 7 years. I've just started seeing a chiropractor, and the hypothesis is that 9 years (including taper) of severe muscle tension in my neck and back has caused nerve compression in several locations. This happened despite religious stretching twice a day, and wearing a cervical collar most of the time for 3 years. The foot problem may be particularly due to the nerve compression by the atlas vertebra at the very top. I'll write this up in my journal thread when I am more sure about it, but one week of intensive treatment suggests this hypoth may be right.

Anyway, this is all making me think that we have neuro-endo damage, yes. But, then, the impact of that damage lasting so long -- even if it's healing the whole time -- causes secondary ailments. We are under extreme stress for years. That, itself, causes wear and tear on the body, separate from the initial neuro-end damage / dysautonomia. If this is the case with you, then your stomach issues might have a different cause than Luc's stomach issues. He might still be dealing with dysautonomia. You might be dealing with chronic stress. Have you ever had nausea in the past before meds? What helped then?

Damn! I'm so sorry to hear about the bike accident. It is, unfortunately, a normal part of being an avid, bold athlete, such as you are. Now you are battle-tried! I hope you're not in too much pain, and that you're recovering nicely. I definitely think this shock to the system could change the channel in a good way. Remember the Looney Tunes cartoons from our childhood where one concussion repaired another? I have often wished we could do something like that!

Sorry to hear about your neck/foot and I hope you get some relief from the chiropractic treatment. The hypothesis seems worth exploring. Yes, everything is connected, one balance can lead to another and stress plays a role too. Please update us on how your treatment goes.

I had a nervous stomach as a kid and frequently woke feeling nauseous. I didn't do anything for it, just lived with it. In the 90s (while on meds) I had a bad stomach for several months and took a medication that might have helped a little or maybe not at all I don't remember. Eventually the issue just resolved on it's own. Beyond that the only stomach issues I've had were in the very beginning of withdrawal and the current episode. I'd be interested in trying ginger if the current episode flares but it seems (?) like things are heading in the right direction.

Thanks for your sympathies about my recent injury. It's true that its part of cycling and I've made it a point to be aware of safety issues and do what I can to reduce the risk. The story is a little embarrassing. I wasn't screaming down a hill on my road bike or doing anything spectacular. I was showing my son how to do a wheelie on a bike that wasn't suited for it and fell *hard* of the back. My ribs are still tender but my leg is healing faster than I thought it would. No more wheelies for me...
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anaïs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I was showing my son how to do a wheelie on a bike that wasn't suited for it and fell *hard* of the back. My ribs are still tender but my leg is healing faster than I thought it would. No more wheelies for me...
    At least it was for a good cause, Mike! And it's good to hear your leg is healing so fast.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sorry to hear about your neck/foot and I hope you get some relief from the chiropractic treatment. The hypothesis seems worth exploring. Yes, everything is connected, one balance can lead to another and stress plays a role too. Please update us on how your treatment goes.

I had a nervous stomach as a kid and frequently woke feeling nauseous. I didn't do anything for it, just lived with it. In the 90s (while on meds) I had a bad stomach for several months and took a medication that might have helped a little or maybe not at all I don't remember. Eventually the issue just resolved on it's own. Beyond that the only stomach issues I've had were in the very beginning of withdrawal and the current episode. I'd be interested in trying ginger if the current episode flares but it seems (?) like things are heading in the right direction.

Thanks for your sympathies about my recent injury. It's true that its part of cycling and I've made it a point to be aware of safety issues and do what I can to reduce the risk. The story is a little embarrassing. I wasn't screaming down a hill on my road bike or doing anything spectacular. I was showing my son how to do a wheelie on a bike that wasn't suited for it and fell *hard* of the back. My ribs are still tender but my leg is healing faster than I thought it would. No more wheelies for me...
    Ach, it’s so frustrating to be a Dad of a young, growing kid, and not be able to do a lot of the activities you would have done easily had you not been ill for years and years.

Well, so it sounds like you have a history of your stomach acting up from time to time, but then resolving on its own. Ginger is really good for nausea. Also a bit of baking soda in warm water. That is great to hear that things seem to be heading in the right direction on their own.

Luc – my foot problem has been continuous and worsening since the spring.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    This summer, I developed really severe foot problems for the first time in 7 years. I've just started seeing a chiropractor, and the hypothesis is that 9 years (including taper) of severe muscle tension in my neck and back has caused nerve compression in several locations. This happened despite religious stretching twice a day, and wearing a cervical collar most of the time for 3 years. The foot problem may be particularly due to the nerve compression by the atlas vertebra at the very top. I'll write this up in my journal thread when I am more sure about it, but one week of intensive treatment suggests this hypoth may be right.

Anyway, this is all making me think that we have neuro-endo damage, yes. But, then, the impact of that damage lasting so long -- even if it's healing the whole time -- causes secondary ailments. We are under extreme stress for years. That, itself, causes wear and tear on the body, separate from the initial neuro-end damage / dysautonomia. If this is the case with you, then your stomach issues might have a different cause than Luc's stomach issues. He might still be dealing with dysautonomia. You might be dealing with chronic stress. Have you ever had nausea in the past before meds? What helped then?
    i totally think you are right, and therefore we can never heal 100 %, i have similar muscles tension inflamation in spine and ribs, and i will suffer from in the future, and this is from paxil, before i never had something; these wrong hormones since years are destroying us, even during the time we see improvements;
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

I started with muscle tension and a burning nervy pain in my back just this year. dunno if it is related.

as Sheila explained, with years our muscles are fatigued from these wrong hormones and we catch sooner diseases we would had at 80/90 years
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    i totally think you are right, and therefore we can never heal 100 %, i have similar muscles tension inflamation in spine and ribs, and i will suffer from in the future, and this is from paxil, before i never had something; these wrong hormones since years are destroying us, even during the time we see improvements;
    Stan – I think this is a useful new hypothesis – that we have to look at the secondary ailments that years of w/d can cause. But, I don’t think this means we can never heal. I think it means we have to do something about the secondary ailments that develop. I am having a lot of benefit from intensive chiropractic and the digestive enzymes, and I have only been doing it for 1.5 weeks. It *is* scary to acknowledge that I desperately needed the chiropractic treatment. I could not have self-healed using stretching, exercises, cervical collar, supplements.

It may be that *some* people cannot fully recover from w/d (and it’s sequelae) unless they get some help – acupuncture, physical therapy, whatever. This is certainly not true for everyone. Many, many people recover fully without doing anything.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

At the point when we're still not healed, the waves haven't disappeared yet (even if they have managed to abate), we may all indeed experience different doubts. Not to mention the snail's pace of the improvement and the symptoms morphing like crazy. But I have a strong conviction, this way or that, our goal of complete healing is attainable. I really do. Also, the more time passes, the more data we will be collecting on IAWP on the active ways of helping the healing.

Updating this thread - though I may be going through a different, quite draining stuff these days, the stomach problems haven't been here for some time now. Knock on wood.