Thread: The 23rd Psalm

The 23rd Psalm

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
    He leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul:
    He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
    Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
    Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

This is always so moving. And I think prayers that have been around for a long time, like this one, have a lot of power. So many people have said them over so many centuries, that they have become an archetype, an energy field, that you can tap into.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

What you say is so very true. But, I didn't always feel this way.

If I were to be honest, I have to admit that I actually had developed a great resistance to hearing this particular Psalm simply because I "thought" it had been so over-used for far too long. Things can tend to lose their power, magic or meaning when one has been over-exposed to something.

However, I've come to discover just how incredibly wrong I was about this psalm. It's pretty amazing how something that one had rejected in the past, suddenly becomes an anchor amid a violent storm........providing a sense of strength as well as comfort.

I can now appreciate what you have written . You are right re: the "power" of such written pieces. I now understand WHY such writings have enduring value and are timeless, precious works of art. I am grateful to have been exposed to this in the past and I am even more grateful to feel connected to that which I rejected in the past.

I don't think I truly understood the depth of the psalm. One has to feel very broken, lost, afraid, helpless/vulnerable and incredibly alone in order to appreciate the power/light that the psalm has to offer.

I'm having difficulty expressing myself here so I better stop writing. Thanks for your feedback Sheila .....it has provoked me to further contemplate etc.

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Sheila..........

you used the term "energy field" to tap into. I really think you are right about this.

You know, I really hesitated to post this psalm since I wasn't sure if it would be well received but I decided to move past my apprehension and follow what my spirit was beckoning me to do.

Glad I posted it. Tonight I have learned, felt and experienced more than what I had anticipated. Thanks again Sheila!

Samsara

Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    It's pretty amazing how something that one had rejected in the past, suddenly becomes an anchor amid a violent storm........providing a sense of strength as well as comfort.
    So true, Sam. I have never been much of a materialistic person, but WD has made it to me even more obvious what *really* counts in life.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    So true, Sam. I have never been much of a materialistic person, but WD has made it to me even more obvious what *really* counts in life.
    I very much know what you mean Luc.

Our lives will now be lived with a greater reverence, awareness and thus, deeper quality. Things that were taken for granted in the past are now considered sacred.

Samsara

I was reading this thread and it reminded me of something Deepak Chopra wrote in "The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire," pp. 174-6 --

The sutra is a mantra that has meaning. The mantra itself has no meaning. It's just a vibration, a sound. It becomes a sutra when there's an intention coded in the sound. The word sutra is a Sanskrit word, related to the Latin noun sutura, which is the base of the English word suture, meaning "to join together by sewing." So a sutra is actually a stitch on the soul, and the stitch is one of intention. Both mantras and sutras allow you to transcend to a deeper consciousness. Therefore you could use the "so-hum" mantra, for example, to transcend. Then you could use an actual word, a sutra, to embed a particular intention into your consciousness.

There are mantras and sutras that have been used successfully for thousands of years, and you will find them in the chapters that follow. They provide a path to synchrodestiny. Although the Sanskrit words that embody those sutras may sound foreign to you, that doesn't diminish their effectiveness. You do not even have to understand the meanings of the sutras in order for them to work. Remember, these are the sounds of nature, with meaning attached. The soul will understand their meaning even if you do not.

Why do we use these ancient words as our mantras and sutras instead of more modern language? The answer has to do with potency. Using newer mantras and sutras only makes the process of experiencing synchronicity more difficult. Consider that there are many ways for me to go from my home to my office. I can take the highway. I can follow a road map or a contour map. I can take a helicopter. I can go to the coast and take a ship. But if I take a path that's well trodden, one that is familiar and that I've taken many times, then the journey is easier. Similarly, mantras and sutras that have been used for thousands of years by millions of people over generations provide the easiest route to transcendence and to the nonlocal domain.

But there's an additional value in using something that's been used many times before for a particular purpose. Every time a mantra or sutra is used, it helps increase the probability that a similar outcome will result from a later usage of the same mantra or sutra. If you recall the discussion of the wave-particle in Chapter 1, you'll remember that every time a wave-particle collapses as a particular wave pattern, it increases the likelihood that it will collapse as that same pattern of wave again in the future. Sutras are actually intentions that increase the statistical likelihood of the collapse of a wave function along predictable probability amplitudes. This means that the more a sutra is used, the greater the likelihood that its chosen intention will be fulfilled. Therefore it is better to use an old, well-used sutra than a new sutra. Try not to be put off by the use of Sanskrit, but welcome the ancient words as allies in your search for the transcendence that leads to synchrodestiny.

http://www.avatargroup.ru/Biblioteka...ijskom%29.aspx
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

Fascinating. And the "synchrodestiny" sounds very neat.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

I've read something similar many years ago but completely forgot about it. So, Thanks Barbara for posting this! It's an interesting perspective.

Samsara