Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasps

Wasps

I'd very appreciate any advive on it - a couple of days ago I got stung by wasps (2-3 of those, in the leg). 48 hours later the WD symptoms worsened a lot - can the worsening be linked with this incident? There seems to be no other explanation.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Luc........

Oh....I'm so sorry to hear this! You must be feeling incredibly miserable right now.

The answer to your question is "YES" AD WD symptoms very much can become worse from such an event.

What's happening to you right now is a "histamine" reaction. Histamine is a powerful neurotransmitter and many AD have antihistamine properties and thus, when we are in WD from such ADs there is a histamne rebound effect (too much histamine) that occurs and thus, produces many of our WD symptoms. So, we are already in a histamine overload during WD. The wasp sting has now created MORE histamine within your system.

Right now your immune system has become activated (working hard to counteract the effects if the stings). which in turn ignites the CNS. The immune system, CNS and endocrine systems are constantly communicating with each other. They work colaboratively rather than independently. Being as your immune system is in high gear right now, it will produce CNS reactions hence the increase in WD symptoms.

An antihistamine such as benadryl will work to reduce the negative effects of the wasp stings, however, it will also feed the receptors in AD WD and thus, once you stop the antihistamine you will likely experience a negative rebound effect. Consequently, I would stay away from this treatment option.

I wouild also stay away from foods that create histamine effects in the body. I will try to post something on that a bit later.

In the meantime, try to remain quiet and calm if possible since, stress will activate the CNS and immune system even further. Sometimes just understanding what is happening and why can alleviate any confusion and thus, reduce the stress factor.

Hopefully, things will settle back down within a few days.

Luc, I will post this section right now and may add a bit more in about a half hour or so.

Samsara

Luc.............

sorry, I forgot to ask: what are your symptoms? Are you able to breathe okay? Is your tongue swollen? Do you have any increase in heartrate, sweating etc.? The reason I ask is because some people can develop severe and threatening reactions from insect stings, although I believe you would have developed such shortly after you were stung. Hope the questions do not alarm you. I just wish to make sure that you're okay in this regard.

You may wish to try baking soda to reduce some of the itching/pain. This is an old home remedy that my mother used to use. Mix up a batch of baking soda with a bit of water creating a thick paste like texture then apply it to the affected areas. While this is not a cure, it can reduce the itchiness a bit although it won't help with WD symptoms that have been ignited.

Samsara

Luc......

if at all possible try to eliminate some of the foods on this list since, you don't wish to create/add anymore histamine into your system. Consuming such foods, at this time, will only provoke your immune system to work harder (which you dont want) and thus, stress the CNS.

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc...whistamine.htm

Histamine-Restricted Diet

Information on this page comes from Dietary Management of Food Allergies & Intolerances: A Comprehensive Guide, by Janice Vickerstoff Joneja. 1998. J. A. Hall Publications.

Food Sources of Histamine
    From the Urticaria Chapter
    Allowed/Restricted Foods
    Histamine Restricted Diet for Control of Urticaria/Angioedema
    Food Sources of Histamine
    Histamine occurs in food as a result of microbial enzymes converting the amino acid histidine (present in all proteins) to histamine. All foods subjected to microbial fermentation in the manufacturing process contain histamine. Included in this category are cheeses, fermented soy products, other fermented foods (e.g. sauerkraut), alcoholic beverages, and vinegars.

Foods exposed to microbial contamination also contain histamine in levels determined by the extent and rate of action of the microbes. Histamine levels reach a reactive level long before any signs of spoilage occur in the food. This characteristic has important implications in fin fish, where bacteria in the gut are particularly active in converting histidine to histamine. The longer the fish remains ungutted, the higher the levels of histamine in the flesh.

Some foods such as eggplant and spinach contain high levels of histamine naturally. In addition, a number of food additives such as azo dyes and preservatives mediate the release of histamine.

Some of these chemicals such as benzoates occur naturally in foods, especially fruits, and may have the same effect as the food additive in releasing histamine.

The histamine restricted diet excludes all foods known to contain high levels of histamine or to contain chemicals that can promote the physiological release of histamine.
    Back to top of page

From the Urticaria Chapter
    The foods most commonly reported to induce urticaria are shellfish, fish, egg, nuts, chocolate, berries, tomatoes, cheese, milk, and wheat.

Foods reported to release histamine directly from mast cells are uncooked egg whites, shellfish, strawberries, tomatoes, fish, chocolate, pineapple and alcohol.

Foods containing histamine—Aged protein containing foods and fermented foods commonly have increased histamine levels.

Foods reported to be high in histamine are fermented cheeses (e.g. Camembert, Brie, Gruyere, Cheddar, Roquefort, Parmesan), brewer's yeast, shellfish, many fin fish, canned fish, tomato, spinach, red wine (especially Chianti), beer, unpasteurized milk (e.g., cow, goat or human milk), chicken, dry pork sausage, beef sausage, ham, chocolate, fermented soy products, and all fermented vegetables, such as sauerkraut.

Allowed/Restricted Foods
    This diet excludes all: please click on above link for the list of foods to avoid.

Note: I tried to copy this list but the chart got all messed up when I pasted it to this post.

I'm going to post another list as well in my next post.

http://histame.com/histamine-rich-foods-substances

Histamine-rich Foods/Substances

Histamine levels will vary based on the maturation process and the degree of freshness. The longer food is stored or left to mature, the greater its histamine content and the more problematic it can be for individuals with food sensitivities and intolerance.

Fresh meat contains no or very little histamine. However, when meat is processed further, the maturation process results in the accumulation of biogenic amines.

The same is true for fish. Fresh fish contains no or very little histamine. However, fish spoils very easily and this leads to a rapid accumulation of histamine due to bacteria. Further processing, which includes salting, smoke-drying, marinating and preservation, may increase the histamine content.

Examples of foods/substances that may increase histamine levels resulting in symptoms including digestive problems, headaches and skin rashes are:

Alcohol, particularly red wine and champagne. Also white wine and beer.
    Aged, smoked, canned fish and fish sauces. Tuna fish, mackerel, sardines, anchovy, herring, catfish, salmon.
    Pizza
    Smoked and processed meats such as salami, ham, bratwurst and bacon
    Sauerkraut
    Certain vegetables: tomato, spinach, eggplant, avocado, mushrooms and canned vegetables as well as commercially prepared salads
    Certain fruits: strawberries, bananas, papayas, kiwi, pineapple, mango, tangerines, grapefruits, red prunes, pea
    Red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar
    Soy sauce
    Cheese
    Mustard
    Ketchup
    Sunflower seeds
    Chocolate/cocoa
    Coffee, black tea
    Some fruits: citrus, bananas, strawberries, red prunes, pears, kiwi, raspberries, papaya
    Bread and confectionery made with yeast
    Peanuts, cashews, walnuts

Drugs/Substances that may block intestinal DAO
    N-Acetyl Cysteine
    Cimetidine
    Amino guanidine
    Isoniazid
    Alcohol

http://tipnut.com/quick-tip-bee-sting-relief/

15 Bee Sting Home Remedies & Tips

Getting stung by a bee is no fun and the pain can last for a few hours, here are a bunch of home remedies for pain relief as well as some interesting tips and bits of info.

Bee Sting Relief Remedies & Treatments

First make sure the stinger is removed (look for a black spot in the bite area), do this immediately as it can reduce the amount of venom released into the body. At one time it was thought that you had to scrape the stinger out (with something like a blunt knife or plastic edge) but you can effectively use tweezers to pull it out.

Wash the stung area with soap and water then try a home remedy or treatment below for pain relief. Technically it’s a bee sting rather than a “bite”, but I used bite below to describe the injured area.

Make a paste of meat tenderizer and water or baking soda and water–apply to bite area.
    Sprinkle the bite area generously with baking soda then drizzle some drops of vinegar over the baking soda to make it fizz. Leave on the bite until pain is gone.
    Cover the bite with a dot of mustard.
    Make a thick paste of meat tenderizer and vinegar, apply to bite area.
    Cover the bite with honey and reapply as needed for pain.
    Dab with a generous amount of toothpaste and leave on the bite area.
    Apply ice or an ice pack.
    Soak bite area in Epsom salt and water or make paste and apply to bite.
    Apply Aloe Vera.
    Chew a plantain leaf then apply the macerated leaf onto the bite.
    Crush fresh parsley and apply to bite area.
    Crush fresh basil leaves and apply to bite area.
    Drizzle apple cider vinegar over the bite.
    Apply a slice of fresh papaya to the bee sting.
    Dab a bit of deodorant on the bite.
    Bee Sting Symptoms

A normal reaction to a bee sting is to experience pain and itchiness, redness and swelling. Pain will last for a few hours then should disappear.

If the following occurs after a bee sting, seek medical advice:

The bee stung inside your nose or mouth (the swelling will affect breathing).
    If you were stung several times by many bees.
    If you have difficulty breathing or your breathing seems to have been affected.
    Your tongue begins to swell.
    You experience dizziness.
    You experience blurry vision.
    You feel nauseous.
    Your speech is slurred or you find it difficult to talk.
    Hives or a rash appears (especially in an area away from the bite).
    The stung area swells alarmingly large.
    If the reaction seems severe (especially if breathing is affected), don’t hesitate to call medical emergency services as the victim of the sting may be experiencing an allergic reaction to the bee sting that can trigger anaphylactic shock.

Bee Quick Tip Bits

Simple logic: To avoid being stung by a bee, avoid attracting bees. Bright clothing, fragrances from hair sprays, perfumes and cosmetic products as well as sweet foods like soda pop, fruits and syrups can attract bees.

If you don’t appear to be aggressive or startle the bee–chances are it won’t sting you. If a bee lands on you or is near you, hold still until it loses interest and flies away. Rapid movement and swatting will signal the bee that you’re ready for a fight so if you’re going to scream with arms flailing–make sure you outrun it .

Tip: If a bee lands on you, blowing gently on it will help convince the bee that it’s time to move along.
    Did you know: Pickings are slim in the Fall when bees are busy looking for flowers, fruits and plants that haven’t yet died off or harvested for the season. When you’re wearing bright clothing and smelling pretty while much of the vegetation the bees depend on are gone, the bee might think he hit the jackpot with the largest, loveliest flower of all (you).

Why Do Bees Die After Stinging?

When a bee stings, the stinger is torn from its body and left in the victim’s skin (the stinger is the tool that releases the venom). It basically disembowels the poor bumble bee and it cannot survive. Because of this, bees will only sting when they feel a threat (to themselves, their hive or to the queen bee).

Even though bees can be intimidating, they are very much needed to help our plants and flowers flourish (and to make delicious honey for us to enjoy).

Please Note: None of the information above is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it’s provided for general knowledge purposes only.

Luc.............

sorry for yet another post but I had another thought:

Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. I've been taking vitamin C and zinc throughout WD with no negative effects. Both of these are good for the immune system as well.

Vit. C is also a stress vitamin. When we are under much stress this vitamin gets rapidly depleted from our system. BTW, it's a water soluble vitamin and what your body doesn't use, will be naturally excreted.

Sheila seems to have posted a lot of info. regarding Vit. C. I haven't read the full post but upon a quick scan it looks interesting.

Hope you feel better very soon Luc.

Sending Soothing Healing Energy,

Samsara

some people can develop severe allergy,
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Hi again Luc...........

To expand upon what I had written earlier........

As I mentioned, the wasp bite has caused a histamine reaction and in order to counteract this reaction your body is now producing higher levels of epinephrine (adrenaline) to deactivate the high histamine levels. These high levels of epinephrine (adrenaline) are responsible for intensifying your WD symptoms. This is why you are suffering ATM.

High levels of epinephrine (adrenaline) can also cause panic attacks or elevated levels of anxiety in people with normal CNS. Those of us in WD will feel these effects more profoundly than the average person.

I hope this assists you in understanding what is occuring. BTW, you have made a logical observation and are indeed correct in believing that these wasp stings are responsible for the increase of AD WD symptoms.

Stan, you are indeed correct. Many years ago my cousin got stung by a bee or wasp and I had to call an ambulance for her. She had a severe reaction to the sting within a hour or so of being bitten....was developing Anaphylactic shock (a severe allergic reaction) which can be life-threatening.

BTW, Luc, if you did have a severe reaction, as Stan has mentioned, you would have known by now. I don't think you have to worry about this at this point time, although I will post what the symptoms are just for precautionary measures.

Take very good care of yourself and do let us know how you are doing when are able.

Samsara

I just did a search since I wished to confirm re: you would have experienced this severe reaction long before now and this article seems to substantiate what I have mentioned. Not to worry Luc however, I thought it would be good to review this information for future reference.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000844.htm

Anaphylaxis (aka Anaphylactic Shock)

Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening type of allergic reaction.

Causes

Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to a chemical that has become an allergen. After being exposed to a substance such as bee sting venom, the person's immune system becomes sensitized to it. On a later exposure to that allergen, an allergic reaction may occur. This reaction happens quickly after the exposure, is severe, and involves the whole body.

Tissues in different parts of the body release histamine and other substances. This causes the airways to tighten and leads to other symptoms.

Some drugs (morphine, x-ray dye, and others) may cause an anaphylactic-like reaction (anaphylactoid reaction) when people are first exposed to them. Aspirin may also cause a reaction. These reactions are not the same as the immune system response that occurs with "true" anaphylaxis. However, the symptoms, risk for complications, and treatment are the same for both types of reactions.

Anaphylaxis can occur in response to any allergen. Common causes include:

Drug allergies
    Food allergies
    Insect bites/stings
    Pollens and other inhaled allergens rarely cause anaphylaxis. Some people have an anaphylactic reaction with no known cause.

Anaphylaxis is life-threatening and can occur at any time. Risks include a history of any type of allergic reaction.

Symptoms
    Symptoms develop rapidly, often within seconds or minutes. They may include the following:

Abdominal pain or cramping
    Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
    Anxiety
    Confusion
    Cough
    Diarrhea
    Difficulty breathing
    Difficulty swallowing
    Fainting, light-headedness, dizziness
    Hives, itchiness
    Nasal congestion
    Nausea, vomiting
    Palpitations
    Skin redness
    Slurred speech
    Wheezing
    Exams and Tests
    Signs include:

Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
    Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema)
    Hives
    Low blood pressure
    Mental confusion
    Rapid pulse
    Skin that is blue from lack of oxygen or pale from shock
    Swelling (angioedema) in the throat that may be severe enough to block the airway
    Swelling of the eyes or face
    Weakness
    Wheezing
    The health care provider will wait to test for the specific allergen that caused anaphylaxis (if the cause is not obvious) until after treatment.

Treatment
    Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition requiring immediate professional medical attention. Call 911 immediately.

Check the person's airway, breathing, and circulation (the ABC's of Basic Life Support). A warning sign of dangerous throat swelling is a very hoarse or whispered voice, or coarse sounds when the person is breathing in air. If necessary, begin rescue breathing and CPR.

Call 911.
    Calm and reassure the person.
    If the allergic reaction is from a bee sting, scrape the stinger off the skin with something firm (such as a fingernail or plastic credit card). Do not use tweezers -- squeezing the stinger will release more venom.
    If the person has emergency allergy medication on hand, help the person take or inject the medication. Avoid oral medication if the person is having difficulty breathing.
    Take steps to prevent shock. Have the person lie flat, raise the person's feet about 12 inches, and cover him or her with a coat or blanket. Do NOT place the person in this position if a head, neck, back, or leg injury is suspected, or if it causes discomfort.
    DO NOT:

Do NOT assume that any allergy shots the person has already received will provide complete protection.
    Do NOT place a pillow under the person's head if he or she is having trouble breathing. This can block the airways.
    Do NOT give the person anything by mouth if the person is having trouble breathing.
    Paramedics or physicians may place a tube through the nose or mouth into the airways (endotracheal intubation) or perform emergency surgery to place a tube directly into the trachea (tracheostomy or cricothyrotomy).

The person may receive antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, and corticosteroids, such as prednisone, to further reduce symptoms (after lifesaving measures and epinephrine are given).

Outlook (Prognosis)
    Anaphylaxis is a severe disorder that can be life-threatening without prompt treatment. However, symptoms usually get better with the right therapy, so it is important to act right away.

Possible Complications
    Airway blockage
    Cardiac arrest (no effective heartbeat)
    Respiratory arrest (no breathing)
    Shock
    When to Contact a Medical Professional
    Call 911 if you develop severe symptoms of anaphylaxis. If you are with another person, he or she may take you to the nearest emergency room.

Prevention
    Avoid triggers such as foods and medications that have caused an allergic reaction (even a mild one) in the past. Ask detailed questions about ingredients when you are eating away from home. Also carefully examine ingredient labels.
    If you have a child who is allergic to certain foods, introduce one new food at a time in small amounts so you can recognize an allergic reaction.
    People who know that they have had serious allergic reactions should wear a medical ID tag.
    If you have a history of serious allergic reactions, carry emergency medications (such as a chewable form of diphenhydramine and injectable epinephrine or a bee sting kit) according to your health care provider's instructions.
    Do not use your injectable epinephrine on anyone else. They may have a condition (such as a heart problem) that could be negatively affected by this drug.
    Alternative Names
    Anaphylactic reaction; Anaphylactic shock; Shock - anaphylactic

References
    Schwartz LB. Systemic anaphylaxis, food allergy, and insect sting allergy. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 274.

Simons FE. Anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:S402-S407.

Wasserman SI. Approach to the person with allergic or immunologic disease. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 270.

Update Date: 5/2/2010
    Updated by: David C. Dugdale, III., MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Stuart I. Henochowicz, MD, FACP, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Georgetown University Medical School. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.