Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMK 16 years later now who am I?

AMK 16 years later now who am I?

Experience, 16 years of anti depressants all starting with anxiety attacks, and I too found relief.
    I am now 46 and on disability, I was forced to got to drug and alcohol treatment and quitting did not subside depression. Life was less chaotic and dangerous
    though.
    As an adolescent, I had made no friends. As a kid I had no friends. My father suicided when I was 10 and I was just a very sad child, sad and afraid. I always remember being so afraid. Prior to age ten I was happy go lucky, took risks. Childish risks but risks all the same. years ago I worked and maintained a pretty average life albeit I self medicated with alcohol, presumably for the anxiety. As alcohol permitted me to be someone I couldn't otherwise be.
    I remember when I started I took paxil, 20mg, I think and for over a month I sat in the corner of my apartment (on medical leave) in a drug induced awake coma. Then one day I started to move again, and according to my girlfriend was like a new person. I kind of spoke with people I wouldn't normally have spoken to
    etc.
    I don't remember a lot, I did continue to drink and after getting the prescription had no real support from the P doc. I had no idea what to expect, I had
    serious difficulties with boundaries and being able to communicate. Raised in a dysfunctional family, and also suffered a traumatic brain injury at age 16. In the back of my mind have always wondered if accident was source of my problems. My childhood was by any estimate traumatic..

Shortly after getting the prescription, I moved to another province. With my girlfriend, in short it was a stressful journey, one that resulted in taking 3 months
    of paxil downed with about 15 beers. I was taken by ambulance to emergency, they treated me like a worthless piece of shit, a piece of shit that should not
    drink and that should take responsibility for my actions. They sent me off in the morning, humiliated, lost, and embarrassed. Also with no paxil, I ate them all.

No one told me what to expect, not taking paxil, I had absolutely no idea what would happen. Why would I? So I returned to the same life I was living,
    suffering with my inability to communicate, set boundaries. Meanwhile experiencing some physical and mental hell? What was happening to me? Dizzy, crying
    for no
    reason? Naturally I went to a gp, new town, new dr. This dr thought vitamin b deficiency? Or.... we should look into a brain tumour. Great new city, no job,
    cheating lying girlfriend and a brain tumour?! WTF

Three doctors later. Its withdrawal, from paxil. Now I know. So I go back on it. It made me fat, so I told the dr, she says try prozac, people lose weight on
    that. Or try effexor, and you can try this new med that helps you lose weight. I declined it was later linked to heart attacks and death. Lucky me.

This went on for years. I moved around my depression got worse, in fact I dont even know if I was depressed, but I sure as shit am now. So I keep telling them I am depressed and they keep giving me more pills, and after a few years, I'm the expert not them. I just ask for different ones, higher doses, anything that will stop this depression. Writing this I don't seriously know if I am depressed. I know all the symptoms, but I don't know where they come from. I know that if you have previously never taken meds and have all the symptoms then you are likely depressed. You should likely take some AD's!

See I am all over the place, all I know is that I need to know. When I do ? I'll go from there.
    June 1st after not such a long taper I no longer take prescribed doses of Effexor 225mg, bupropion 450mg, baclofen 20mg, gabapentin 600mg, and quetiapine as much as i like? I never take the quetiapine anyway, occasionally for sleep but the cost is a hangover for two days

I went through dizzy, now I am confused, body aches, insomnia, but oddly not depression. Possibly anxiety but I'm not sure any more. I have had bouts of
    crying for little or no reason also.
    Glad to have come across this site I need to know if this is all normal.

Welcome, AnneMarie!

I’m so sorry you were handed a prescription for Paxil 16 years ago, and were offered no decent psychotherapy or other healing method. Your strong reaction to the Paxil in the first month is very striking. It clearly had a powerful, adverse effect on you.

I’m very sorry to hear about your father’s suicide, your age 16 TBI, and the other trauma of your past.

Yes, you figured out that you were thrown into cold turkey Paxil withdrawal after your suicidality, when you suddenly stopped taking the Paxil.

You have been off all these meds since 1 June –

Effexor 225 mg
    Bupropion (Wellbutrin) 450 mg
    Baclofen 20 mg
    Gabapentin (Neurontin) 600 mg
    Quetiapine (Seroquel) as needed

How did you taper? I am very concerned when you say you did not do a long taper. We advise tapering off one medication at a time, at an extremely slow rate of 10% of current dose. Otherwise, we find people have to pay for a faster taper with considerable post-taper suffering.

Please clarify what your tapering schedule has been. We want to help you succeed at getting off these meds as safely and painlessly as possible, and also help you find ways to heal your depression.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

welcome,

16 years psy meds is much, i took 13 years and suffer today ;
    your pains, confusion, aches, insomnia etc are normal, all this takes time to heal
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

i did it slowly, it must be out of my system now?
    It doesnt really matter anyway because Until I am clear about who I am I will not be going back on those
    meds
    I asked my P doc awhile ago if my TBI could have been part of my issue, he said, and I quote mind you
    "no, people with brain injuries do things like urinate in public" I didn't even respond what do you say to
    that? This most recent doctor is a psychiatrist, lovely man, but. I first started to see him right after a car
    accident. He knew nothing, nothing about me. He immediately started to increase my meds and introduced the Seroquel. I was like a zombie, I started having bad stomach problems, constipation, abdominal pain
    high blood pressure, none of which I had before..
    He said it was not the medication. This is when I decided I am fed up, I couldn't deal with it! I know my
    body and he couldn't respect that.
    This is the part you wont like, I didn't tell him yet I was supposed to see him today but his office cancelled,
    so I see him Monday.
    Anywat how long will weakness, dizziness muscle aches etc last?

Welcome to IAWP, AnneMarie! I'm so sorry to hear about all the traumas you have been through. We will try to help you to the best of our abilities. As it's already been said, the tapering should been done very very slowly. It's not a matter of the drugs being out of our system, but the impact they have had on it. Our body needs time to simply adapt to the lower doses. All the symptoms you have described are very common in withdrawal. Their length will vary a lot from person to person. Again, the absolute must is going off of the drugs very slowly. This way it's possible to make the symptoms less severe. I am a "cold turkey" person myself (a double c/t; benzo + Paxil) as I didn't know at the time about the tapering process. I was in for a *rough* ride. If I had known how important the weaning off of SSRIs is then, I would have never ever gone c/t.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

the psychiatrist learn at school to prescribe, so they prescribe
    the med laboratory pay the most of their learning, so they never blame the psy meds, they are arrogant, deny withdrawal, lie, switch your meds in three weeks, in hospital it is not better, they say always you are the only they have ever seen, all their psy drugged are fine, you are an exception
    for many people who took long term , it is hell to taper and to recover and this takes not months but years; in our modern world it is incredible
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    they say always you are the only they have ever seen, all their psy drugged are fine, you are an exception
    You hit the whole box of nails on the head here, Stan. Truly, how *many* people have been told this over the years. It's their standard operating procedure. "Never heard of a similar case" being one more variation they may use.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    You hit the whole box of nails on the head here, Stan. Truly, how *many* people have been told this over the years. It's their standard operating procedure. "Never heard of a similar case" being one more variation they may use.
    Exactly!My doctor uses to say that it is not "normal" if I have such a long-lasting withdrawal.And I bet he thinks I am fragile and lunatic...
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Today I feel weird, uncomfortable. Some dizzy spells and over all very hard to explain symptoms.
    I feel puffy, lol. My joints hurt and I am weak.
    Fortunately I have a terrific partner, girlfriend. that puts up with my mood swings. I know exercise is good
    for you and my mind wanted to go for a bike ride but I just didn't see my body following through. Do you think I should make myself do it?
    Also over these 16 years I have gained close to 100 lbs. Does anyone have experience with weight changes, do you think as an added bonus I could be lighter and drug free?

The weight gain is one of the most common symptoms - the hormonal system is very compromised b/c of those drugs. After coming off of them, it improves for many people. As for the bike ride, you simply need to listen to your body, AnneMarie. If you felt up to it, why not? Just be careful, and don't push it too much - you mentioned the dizzy spells you're experiencing these days.