Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin C

More evidence: Vitamin C does protect against colds

(NaturalNews) By the time he died in 1994, Linus Pauling had long been branded a "quack" by mainstream medicine and much of the mainstream media. Why? Because he advocated the use of vitamin C to treat many diseases, including the common cold. He claimed the medical establishment had long ignored important studies by respected scientists who provided evidence of vitamin C's disease-fighting properties.

Now, in a review of multiple placebo-controlled vitamin C studies, scientists at the University of Helsinki have found evidence that backs up what Dr. Pauling was saying decades ago. Bottom line: once again, it appears clear that vitamin C could well be a powerful source to avoid or shorten colds -- especially in people under heavy physical stress.

Vitamin C was found to have a "modest but consistent effect in reducing the duration of common cold symptoms..based on 31 study comparisons with 9745 common cold episodes." However, in five randomized studies of research subjects with heavy short-term physical stress, the results were more dramatic. Vitamin C cut the incidence of the common cold in half.

Three of the trials involved marathon runners, one studied Swiss school children in a skiing camp and another looked at Canadian soldiers during a winter exercise. In an additional, recent randomized trial involving adolescent competitive swimmers, the research team found that vitamin C given to males who had colds cut the duration of their illnesses by 50 percent, although the vitamin didn't seem to have the same effect on females.

The study by the University of Helsinki researchers was recently published in the Cochrane Review. In a media statement, the scientists noted "these findings unambiguously show that vitamin C has a biological effect on colds." They also noted that vitamin C had no dangerous side effects.

So, for anyone interested in natural health and staying well for as much of the time as possible, it would certainly seem reasonable to consider taking vitamin C regularly, right?

Amazingly, the very scientists who say an analysis of research shows the efficacy of vitamin C versus the cold claimed in their press statement that it's "not reasonable" to take vitamin C every day to shorten colds. The reason? Because adults and children have so few colds a year, they say it doesn't seem worthwhile.

Then the researchers turned around and added a seemingly contradictory statement to the press that seems more in line with their actual evidence. "Nevertheless, given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the safety and low cost of vitamin C, the authors consider that it may be worthwhile for individual common cold patients to test whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them," they concluded.

http://www.naturalnews.com/039113_vi...revention.html
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Good, but I'll bet you they still didn't use very high doses of C, and if you use even higher doses, you get an even stronger effect. It really is "dose-dependent."
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Has anyone found that any kind of VitC works better than others? I just bought some chewables...it has Dextrose in it. Have any thought on the body's ability to absorb these. I believe it was made by Webber. As I have given up sugar in my diet except for occasional treats, I was a little nervous about buying the chewable form of Vit C ...any thoughts?
    Thanks, Joy

I just want to re-iterate what Sheila said that you take it throughout the day, otherwise you lose it down the loo. We haven't had colds and flus in donkeys years.

How is it manufactured? Is it a chemical?????

If you can, I do think it is better to eat an orange daily.

Some stuff on synthetic Vit. C vs. whole food Vit. C that I posted on pp in 2007 --

I've recently become aware of the debate on this issue. Some people say that synthetic Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is actually only one of the factors that truly make up Vitamin C, and that, therefore, when you take it, it leeches the remaining factors out of your body in order to complete itself. Allegedly, this means that taking synthetic C can actually deplete your body of nutrients, ultimately causing harm. Others say this is hogwash, that Ascorbic Acid is good enough.

"Whole food" source Vitamin C is, ideally, made from whole foods that are high in C and contain all the factors that actually make up the vitamin. One complication of this is that, since whole foods are used, the resulting pill will have other vitamins and/or minerals that you may or may not want/tolerate well. Another problem is that whole food supplements cost a lot more than synthetic ones.

Of course, in the marketplace, you can also find pills that are called whole food or natural, but, in fact, are not.

I'm already taking NON-synthetic Vitamin D3 (in my milk) and Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols. I know it's important that these two be non-synthetic. All my other supplements are from food as well (e.g. fish oil). I do not want to take a multi-vitamin at this time because of my autonomic hyperreactivity. I eat fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, but C is so important, I'd like to take more. If possible, I'd rather have my C in pill form than in liquid or powder.

I just talked with the manager of my local The Vitamin Shoppe, whom I've known for years, and he said whole food is definitely better, but he also said, with it's greater bioavailability, you could take half as much.

So, if you take 1000 mg of Ascorbic Acid, you could get away with 500 mg of a whole food C.

That helps with the price....

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Joy and gD -- I've given up for now on the idea of taking only whole food Vit. C because it's too expensive. So, I take some of it, but I mostly take synthetic Vit. C. I take a time-release formula, which helps with the problem of uselessly peeing it out.

Joy -- why did you choose the chewables? I know some people need to take Vit. C supplements in a buffered form.

gD -- you need way more Vit. C than you can get from an orange, but yes, eat the orange, too.

-- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila,
    I choose the chewable form as it was on sale and I remember them as being like candy..no other reason. Ha,ha. When I got home and thought more about it, i realized that I should have maybe tried something from a natural source in a pill form that didn't have the added Dextrose. Seeing I am trying to get rid of sugar I don't think I need to add a glucose to my diet. I plan to buy a better Vit C. I also take it in through whole foods, daily but I want to add more too. I don't seem to be bothered by supplements that I have noticed.
    I had one adrenal gland removed 2 years ago and I am sure the other one is having some stress keeping up with W/D and the stress I have recently had so knowing from the articles I read on here that the adrenal glands use high amounts, I would like to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaD View Post
    If you can, I do think it is better to eat an orange daily.
    ok, i am going to eat two oranges now!...
    in France we are rich, we have orange for eat and orange for juice,
    are red blood oranges which are more rare better than the classic special for juice? or is it better to take orange made for eat and make juice with?
    i have to make juice because my teeths have problems since withdrawal and his dry mouth,
    and i am also psychological allergic to synthetic pills, so i avoid them as much as i can
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Re the difference between blood oranges and "regular" orange-colored oranges, Stan;

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=253

Though I haven't checked it thoroughly - this site was one of the first to pop up.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Joy – Ha ha! Intuitively seeking candy, eh? Sounds like a good plan to support your adrenal gland!

-- Holger Kalweit