Thread: Behavioral optometry, Neuro-optometry, Visual development

Behavioral optometry, Neuro-optometry, Visual development

I have been wanting to use exercises to improve my vision since the moment I got eyeglasses at age 9. Over the decades since then, I have made sporadic forays into researching this and trying it out. But, for some very odd reason, I’ve never really made the time for it, even though it’s very important to me.

So, my myopia (near-sightedness) and mild astigmatism got slowly worse, because, of course, corrective lenses are highly addictive. There were fluctuations, and occasionally my eyesight would get a bit better. Also, some eye exams showed that when drops were used to relax my eyes, my vision improved considerably. This proved that my acuity was not linked solely to having an elongated eyeball, which has been the prevailing theory of myopia.

Now, during w/d, my eyesight has worsened in some ways, maybe improved in others, and generally fluctuated wildly. There was this day during my early taper, when I’m pretty sure I was in the midst of serotonin syndrome, when my acuity became nearly normal briefly, although with haloes. Plus, I have gone through w/d in my 40s, so aging may be part of the explanation for my worsening near vision. But! Normal aging sure doesn’t account for the wild fluctuations, and furthermore, some behavioral optometrists claim that age-related presbyopia (far-sightedness) is common but not normal. I believe the Chinese have children do daily eye exercises in school, and have a far lower incidence of vision problems throughout the lifespan than we do in the U.S.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I am interested in psychology and psychic phenomena, and I have always believed that, for me, there was a connection between my physical vision being impaired, and psychological issues, and psychic blockage.

A couple of years ago, I thought damn it I’m going to start chipping away at this complex, and I started looking at Magic Eye 3-D pictures every day. These pictures are supposed to make you use your eyes in a different way that is relaxing. You can Google for more details on the biology of it. A very good introductory book with lots of pictures to practice on is –

Magic eye: Beyond 3D
    by Magic Eye Inc & Marc Grossman

Marc Grossman is an optometrist and acupuncturist who is developing a computer-based vision improvement program using the Magic Eye pictures. In the meantime, you can email his office for a nice set of free vision exercises –

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/free-eye-exercise.asp

A few months ago, I started (slowly) reading –

The power behind your eyes: Improving your eyesight with Integrated Vision Therapy
    by Robert-Michael Kaplan

It’s very good, and it does integrate the physical, the psychological, and the spiritual.

Then, this past month, I stumbled across –

If I only had a brain injury
    by Laura Bruno

This “opened my eyes” ha ha to two things – 1) neurological problems can be addressed through behavioral vision therapies even if there are no obvious vision problems going on, and 2) the field of behavioral approaches to vision problems and behavioral approaches *via* vision to other problems has really exploded in the last couple of decades.

She successfully worked with two behavioral optometrists for her TBI-induced migraine and vertigo.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I’m going to (slowly) research this angle for us healing from meds-induced neuro injury, and I will post on this thread as I go. Please feel free to add your research or anecdotes.

It’s a little confusing, because the field goes by all the names mentioned in the thread title. And the practitioners seem to use different methods that vary a lot from practitioner to practitioner. For example, there’s light therapy, physical exercises, wearing specialized things like prisms, and using Magic Eye 3-D pictures, etc.

Some practitioners are experienced with neurological injury. Some are not. Some methods are dysautonomia-friendly. Some are not.

Here’s the short Wiki on behavioral optometry –

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_optometry

One big name in the history of this field is William Bates. “The Bates Method” was invented in the 1940s in the US. This guy was so ahead of his times. Just amazing. His book is still excellent --

Better eyesight without glasses
    by W.H. Bates

Another book I bought but have yet to read is –

Eye power: A cutting edge report on vision therapy
    by Ann Hoopes and Stanley Appelbaum

And I’ve just ordered –

Relearning to see: Improve your eyesight naturally!
    by Thomas Quackenbush

-- Holger Kalweit

Very interesting stuff, Sheila. As a matter of fact, the more time passes, the more I get open to new, earlier on not thought of, concepts. When I get better cognitively, I'll surely look into these ideas more. Please, keep us posted!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Sheila

Just over a year ago I went for an eye test, my actual vision long and short sight was no different to 5 years prior. But he said that I had too much pressure and that this leads to glaucoma and sent me to the hospital for tests.

The tests were all negative for glaucoma, so I think that our eyes are affected by seroxat.

Years ago the magic eye was in every mag here in UK and everyone could do them except me, and I was the only one on seroxat, makes me wonder, must find one to do and see if its the same now.

poodlebell

Yeah, do try an experiment with the Magic Eye now and see if there has been a change! They have some with two dots on top of the picture -- those make it a lot easier to see the hidden 3D picture.

That was helpful info about the false alarm for glaucoma, too.

-- Holger Kalweit

Someone just recommended a very good book to me on behavioral optometry, especially about the technique called “Syntonic Vision Therapy.”

Light: Medicine of the future

by Jacob Liberman, OD, PhD, 1991

It’s very interesting. And the author has had success with vision problems, learning disabilities, psychological problems, and physical illnesses including cancer.

This book was published in 1991, so there’s nothing about SSRI w/d, but he did have success working with someone who was *on* Imipramine (a tricyclic AD) and who was able to stop taking her AD.

-- Holger Kalweit

I will be interested to learn more about this when I feel better. I like your motivation to research and learn Sheila!
    Joy

Computer screen dimming app

Useful info found by Parox –

Free app adjusts color on monitors to prevent disruption of sleep cycle

Blue light emitted from computer screens can interrupt the hormone that regulates our sleep cycles, studies have shown.

I stare at screens almost every waking hour.
    Computer monitor. Laptop. TV. Tablet. Smartphone.

So I've tested a few ways to ease the strain on my eyes - and, in the process, learned about something that might be helping me in non-waking hours, too.

It's about the light that these screens emit. It typically has a cool blue undertone, whether you notice it or not. (Think of your next-door neighbor's TV seen through a window at night.) That's fine during the day - screen light was designed to mimic the tones of daylight. But my screen time lasts long after dark. And that's the problem.

Humans evolved to respond to darkness by producing melatonin, the hormone that regulates the sleep cycle. But our light-sensitive pineal gland near the center of the brain responds to blue light by suppressing melatonin, causing us to wake up.

When we see too much blue light in the late evening, it delays or disrupts the melatonin rush. In other words, my iPad can keep me up even after I turn it off.

But just as technology can cause this problem, it offers a solution as well. Enter F.lux, a desktop application that adjusts a computer screen's color throughout the day. During daylight hours, the screen's undertone is the familiar blue. As sundown approaches, it begins transitioning to a warm shade of red-orange. In the morning, it's cool blue again.

More

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...steven-lockley

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021404136.html
    Last edited by Sheila; 05-27-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: updated links

-- Holger Kalweit