Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Catmamou's Journal

Catherine --

Your situation is quite complex. And I'm not sure.

1 -- Are we sure it is the Prozac that is causing the akathisia, and not the Tranxene or the Noctran?

2 -- If it was the Prozac, is it possible that a small dose of Prozac might be a better solution now? Sometimes lowering the dose decreases the side effects while protecting you from withdrawal effects.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

hello Barbara,
    I do not take any more a tranxene noctran since tres for a long time . I no tolere not any more the prozac (I cannot hang any more of prozac) thus I have developpe of the akathisie so I stopped prozac on 2 weeks so very very so Fast. I suffer symptomes of weaning for 4 months. Psychiatrist has me give a substitution treatment(processing) = miansérine for akathisie and ativan for the symptoms .I know that this medicaments is bad, I am going to ask the medecin to decrease them .
    Thank you for your message, sorry for my bad English.
    Good day
    thanks
    catherine

dear sheila and stan,
    thanks for your message
    I know that this medicament is bad , but I was not very very well . I could not walk any more etc ...
    I relied on medecins , They said to me that that was going to help me and that after I shall can any stopp by decreasing .
    I go to the medecin tomorrow to begin to decrease everything. How I have to make to decrease (mianserine and ativan ) without having the other symptomes? How made you?
    I read that it was necessary to decrease in 1 % every week , Is it it?

stan,How long lasted your physical symptomes? And your akathisie?
    and you sheila , what is your experience ?

thank you very much for your message . I am not alone any more.
    I wait for your ,I wait for your new messages, and I take all the advice(councils) .
    good day
    Catherine

Hey, Catherine. Though we cannot be always 100% sure what advice would be the best (everyone's situation is a unique one, and that are many factors involved), I think that the best shot would be to slowly taper Mianserine and Ativan, and let the body heal naturally. The tapering is usually done by 10% every 3-6 weeks, but you've been on them relatively short, so your tapering schedule would be different.

As for the symptoms and their length, we all differ a lot - some get better more quickly than others - there're many factors involved. The most important thing is that no matter how much time it takes, we get better. Let us wait for more of the ideas from the folks. Please, hang in there, Catherine! And do know that the pain you're going through right now will end!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Catherine,

Welcome to this site, sorry you are suffering too, I am a long time user of paxil so i understand.,

Did the akathesia begin before you came off Prozac??? or only begin since you been off completely?????
    Are you saying that you cannot tolerate the prozac anymore????? this is why i ask when akathsia began?? akathesia is most definately drug wd related, without drug use, akathesia does not exist.
    Is akathesia the worst symptom for you right now??? -----If so, i can truly sympathise suffered with it myself, its horrible.

OK, Cat, it appears that you feel ready to taper the Mianserine and the Ativan. It sounds like you feel you can tolerate the Prozac-induced akathisia without taking other medications. If you can do that, it would be better.

I think maybe it would be better to taper off only one of the two medications first. Then, do the other. I think maybe taper off the Ativan first, since it might be more addictive than the Mianserine.

As Luc says, the general advice is 10% every 2-3 weeks, but you have not been on the Ativan long and we would like to get you off it. You might try tapering by ¼ of the total, wait a week, and then do the next ¼.

I really do not know for sure. This is just one idea. And, you should listen to your body and your intuition.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

hi Catherine,

my akathisia was a tardive akathisia, it appeared severe maybe at 9 months meds free until 14,5 months, and then come and go but less intense, today i am unable to know if i have it, or very mild
    my physical symptomes, unfortunately, after 3 years meds free are still here and some have changed; the problem i have is, i think, my age 61; i need more time than a younger;
    the advices above are good, taper one med in a time
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

HI,
    today it's very difficult . All my symptomes is again here . why ??? I was well hanging since a few days and most kidney does not go . it's horrible . I do not understand why these waves arrives !!! What is what there are things not to make for eviter these waves?
    Of what think you of the medecines random(unpredictable) as accupuncute, hypnosis, relaxation, yoga?
    Why these days with " fenetres " and these days with " waves "?
    What I can make for eviter these waves or to return them more bearable?

thanks for your messages.
    gook luck
    I wish you a good day.
    Catherine

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Hi Catmamou, the waves are unfortunately unpredicable although with time we become able to feel them arrive.
    The waves lose their intensity with time and they become shorter and shorter.
    Acupuncture and yoga can help you.

Les vagues sont malheureusement imprévisibles bien qu'au fil du temps on parvienne à les sentir venir.Les vagues perdent de leur intensité avec le temps et deviennent de plus en plus courtes.
    L'acupuncture et le yoga peuvent vous aider.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

You cannot control completely when the windows and waves happen. But, yes, I think hypnosis, relaxation, and yoga may help over time. Acupuncture may help also, but you must educate your acupuncturist that it is necessary to do only treatment that will be relaxing. Nothing activating.

You will feel better with time, Catherine. And it is good to educate yourself about what you are experiencing. That will help with the fear and overwhelm.

Breathe deeply into your bell today. We will send you healing wishes!

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit