Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Folks, as much as they say there's no "miraculous" diet, I have no doubt whatsoeverer that once you limit your carbs intake, your weight will go down (slowly, but surely). I can give you 100% guarantee to it. It may sound unbelievable, but when I was still on SSRIs (5-6 years ago), I reached the weight of 200 pounds. Considering that I'm not a tall person, I was terribly overweight. What I did was to cut down on sweets, potatoes, pastas, bread, dumplings, etc. In 6-8 months I lost 55 pounds, was never hungry, and my lab work/blood tests, and what not has improved tremendously. And I lost it all while STILL being on SSRIs. If I add to it that I didn't do much exercise then too, you probably won't believe me. Yet, I have nothing to financially gain from telling you about it - I'm not peddling any supplements, I don't seek the Dietary Nobel Prize in , etc. :)
    200 pounds=90 kg
    i weight 86 kg
    meals without potatoes, pastas, bread, seem difficult to eat for me; asia eats rice, other manioc; is it good to leave out the basis of world meal? to be thin?
    i understand you are sensitive to food and cannot eat or bad, is it well for body?

the brain is the brain which orders,
    the gut is secondary;
    if the secondary needs X times more neurotransmitters is a fact, as some other areas need not much neurotransmitters, it means not something significant; gut is important as each organ;
    if an organ needs many more neurons to function will not say he orders or second brain, he is only more complex for me;
    my friend has no more stomac and lives without near normal, if he had a lack of a part of brain, i do not know how he lived
    but the artikles are interesting to read

this one shows the route in the body

I think it will be too long so this is the site google.com/site/boyswithoutfathers/home/serotonin

Cross references: Serotonin Receptors Serotonin & Impulsivity
    Stress HPA Axis Limbic System Hypothalamus Hippocampus Cerebral Cortex Pituitary Gland Adrenal Glands Hormones Corticosteroids Glucocorticoids Glucocorticoid Receptors Cortisol Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) ACTH
    Prefrontal Cortex Melatonin

The serotonin story really begins with Melatonin . Melatonin appeared very early in evolution as an antioxidant, and, at first, serotonin was no more than just an intermediary in Melatonin's biosynthesis.

Serotonin (Wiki)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin

"Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system (CNS) of animals including humans. It is a well-known contributor to feelings of well-being; therefore it is also known as a "happiness hormone" despite not being a hormone.
    Approximately 80 percent of the human body's total serotonin is located in the enterochromaffin cells in the gut, where it is used to regulate intestinal movements.[1][2]
    The remainder is synthesized in serotonergic neurons in the CNS where it has various functions. These include the regulation of mood, appetite, sleep, as well as muscle contraction. Serotonin also has some cognitive functions, including in memory and learning. Modulation of serotonin at synapses is thought to be a major action of several classes of pharmacological antidepressants."
    "Serotonin is mainly metabolized to 5-HIAA, chiefly by the liver. Metabolism involves first oxidation by monoamine oxidase ( MAO ) to the corresponding aldehyde. This is followed by oxidation by aldehyde dehydrogenase to 5-HIAA, the indole acetic acid derivative. The latter is then excreted by the kidneys."
    "In addition to animals, serotonin is also found in fungi and plants.[3]"

SEROTONIN AND OTHER MOLECULES INVOLVED IN DEPRESSION

http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_..._08_m_dep.html

When someone perceives a situation as disagreeable or dangerous, a general response to this Stress is triggered in their body. Depending on the situation and the person's experience with such situations, he or she will choose a behaviour: either fight, or flight, or inhibition of action (the status quo).

The body's response from the time it perceives a danger to the time it secretes the Hormones to prepare to deal with it involves the following structures, in the following order:

1) the Limbic System,

2) the Hypothalamus, 3) the Pituitary Gland, and 4) the Adrenal Glands. The adrenal glands secrete Glucocorticoids (such as Cortisol, in human beings), which interact with the Serotonin Receptors in the brain.

When someone experiences a stressful event, the level of glucocorticoids in their blood rises. Via specific receptors in the Hippocampus, this activates the hypothalamus, which then secretes Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH). The CRH in turn causes the pituitary gland to release adrenocorticotropic hormone ( ACTH) into the bloodstream, from which it enters the adrenal glands and causes them to secrete cortisol.

This process creates a negative feedback loop in which the excess cortisol activates the brain's glucocorticoid receptors and suppresses the production of CRH. In depressed patients, however, this loop no longer works, resulting in excess production of CRH and hence of cortisol.

Many seriously depressed patients have high blood levels of cortisol, caused by chronic stress.

In rats, chronic stress and/or a high level of glucocorticoids alters certain Serotonergic Receptors (increases the 5-HT2A receptors in the Cerebral Cortex and reduces the 5-HT1A receptors in the hippocampus). These same changes have been observed in humans who have committed suicide or suffered from diseases that cause hypersecretion of glucocorticoids. The continued administration of antidepressants causes changes in the serotonergic receptors that are the opposite of the changes produced by chronic stress. It also reverses the hypersecretion of stress hormones.

Not incidentally, in humans, many Glucocorticoid Receptors (GRs) and mineralocorticoid receptors (MRs) (see sidebar, below) are located in the hypothalamus and the hippocampus, two structures involved in mood control and the ability to experience pleasure. These receptors are sensitive both to the levels of the various Corticosteroids in the body and to the length of time that they are active, so their activation mechanisms will have direct impacts on the behavioural response chosen to a given stimulus.

For example, when corticosteroids circulate at low levels they facilitate, via the MR receptors, the reactions associated with fear (momentary paralysis and turning toward the frightening stimulus). But when corticosteroids circulate at high levels (for example, when the organism is exposed to chronic stress), they instead potentiate inhibition of action, via the GR receptors .

Prolonged chronic stress also seems to alter the response of the MR and GR receptors and to have very harmful effects on people's mental equilibrium, especially when social or family supports are absent. Under these conditions, the glucocorticoid response, which was originally highly adaptive, becomes clearly maladaptive.

It has long been known that depressed persons display hyperactivity in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis (see illustration and explanation above). A prolonged state of inhibition of action is also known to encourage the emergence of a depressive state. This chronic excess stress on the HPA Axis is believed to result in structural changes in certain parts of the brain. For example, region CA3 of the hippocampus loses large numbers of neurons when subjected to prolonged stress.

Other studies have also reported a reduced number of glucocorticoid receptors in the hippocampus and Prefrontal Cortex of suicide victims. Though it is hard to tell whether these structural changes are of genetic origin or the result of chronic activation of the HPA Axis, they would be consistent with hyperactivity in this axis when the natural braking effect of these receptors was reduced.

Here's another example: people with Cushing's syndrome, a disease in which the body produces excess cortisol, display a high incidence of depression, and their depression lifts when they are given treatments that bring their cortisol levels back to normal.

Thus, all indications are that the end products of the HPA axis—glucocorticoids— play a role in depression by influencing several Neurotransmitter systems, including those for serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine, all three of which are involved in depression.

sidebar

"Corticosteroids (also known as corticoids) are hormones secreted by the outer portions of the adrenal glands. They can be divided into three groups, for each of which there are separate receptors:

Androgens, which are involved in the development of sexual traits;

mineralocorticoids (aldosterone, corticosterone, desoxycortisone), which regulate the body's osmotic balance; and

Glucocorticoids (cortisone, hydrocortisone, prednisone), which, in addition to their anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects, stimulate the synthesis of glucose and increase the mobilization of fatty acids and proteins to meet the higher metabolic demands generated by stress.

Glucocorticoids play an extremely important role in fear and anxiety reactions and in depressive states. These hormones often affect behaviour by increasing or decreasing the efficiency of certain neural pathways. "

My comments:
    Very important quotes from above:
    1. "The adrenal glands secrete Glucocorticoids (such as Cortisol , in human beings), which interact with the Serotonin receptors in the brain." This suggests that the Direct Cortisol Pathway influences the Direct Serotonin Pathway .
    2. "When someone experiences a stressful event, the level of Glucocorticoids in their blood rises. Via specific receptors in the Hippocampus , this activates the Hypothalamus , which then secretes Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) . The CRH in turn causes the Pituitary Gland to release adrenocorticotropic hormone ( ACTH ) into the bloodstream, from which it enters the Adrenal Cortices and causes them to secrete Cortisol . "
    This would seem to indicate a positive feed-back loop in the Direct Cortisol Pathway , which seems unlikely.
    3. "In rats, chronic stress and/or a high level of Glucocorticoids alters certain Serotonin Receptors (increases the 5-HT2A receptors in the cerebral cortex and reduces

poodlebell

Hi Sheila

this one is far too long to post but this is the link, I look forward to your views on this one

Causes and Treatment of Fibromyalgia

http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...f-fibromyalgia...

Tryptophan is absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream and then ... These serotonin receptors regulate the perception of visceral pain and the ... The adrenal gland consists of two sections: the medulla (inner portion) and the cortex (outer portion). ..... feed Subscribe to this comment's

poodlebell

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    meals without potatoes, pastas, bread, seem difficult to eat for me; asia eats rice, other manioc; is it good to leave out the basis of world meal? to be thin?
    i understand you are sensitive to food and cannot eat or bad, is it well for body?
    Stan, the point is to, at the beginning, just limit the amount of carbs you eat. You don't necessarily need to cut them all out altogether. And, if, after a couple of weeks, you feel that the weight starts to slowly go down, you may cut the carbs still further.

In my case it's like this; every day I eat a normal dinner (with potatoes; though not some huge amount), and for breakfast, supper, etc., I avoid carbs (but still add just this one piece of bread there). And, after a couple of weeks into this diet, you may choose one day in a week in which you eat whatever you want. I used to do it in the past. The problem is that since I'm in WD I can't do this. But when I've healed more in the months to come, I may go back to this "one day I eat whatever I want".

Again, don't do anything too quick - start limiting the amount of carbs slowly. Within my closer and a more distant family there have aready been 6-7 folks who have tried this diet and every single one of them has succeeded in losing quite a lot of weight, plus, their blood test have improved.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you for all the great finds, poodlebell! That was very interesting, and I appreciate your effort. There’s a lot to digest here….sorry, I couldn’t resist!

Butterflies in the stomach arise when the brain sends a message of anxiety to the gut, which sends messages back to the brain that it's unhappy. But the gut can also work in isolation.
    Fully one-half of your nerve cells are located in the gut, so your capacity for feeling and for emotional expression depends primarily on the gut (and only to a lesser extent on your brain). By the time you add together the number of nerve cells in the esophagus, stomach, and small and large intestines, there are more nerve cells in the overall digestive system than there are in the peripheral nervous system.
    I mean, no wonder we have digestive and metabolic problems – the “selective” serotonin reuptake inhibitors are selecting all over the gut!

I will look at the thing on Fibromyalgia tonight and comment tomorrow.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila

This one is from a detox centre and it says about being lacking in seritonin and I am wondering if this is why we are all not getting better quickly.

Anyone got any views on this

Antidepressant Withdrawal

Persons are often put on an anti-depressant before any substantial investigative effort as to why they are depressed or lack of sleep is looked at. Are they really low Serotonin and that’s the only reason why? What about low thyroid? What about the accumulation of environmental neurotoxins such as heavy metals that destroy energy metabolism? Food allergies whereby the internal swelling slows metabolism can also be a factor. The person may have a diet that is so poor in nutrients that they cannot create what is needed for brain health.

We often forget that our brain is subject to the same insults from a poor diet that our body would suffer from. And then maybe the person may just be immersed in an unfulfilling life, and needs a supportive environment to make healthy changes. It is very common for a person suffering a traumatic event , years later , to be found still taking one or more prescription meds, simply because they are unable to successfully withdraw from the meds without help.

Why does a person experience antidepressant medication withdrawal?
    Even if the person was not Serotonin deficient in the first place, the medication can create a Serotonin deficiency. The SSRI’s and SNRI’s do not create Serotonin, they block the reuptake. The Serotonin is meant to be reuptaken, so the nerve cell can use it again. It is a conservative process. When Serotonin is forced to stay out in the nerve space (synapse), it degrades into its metabolites, and then there is no Serotonin left to reuptake. It is similar to how Cocaine only combats depression for a short time. Cocaine spends all the Dopamine, it does not create it. Dopamine is the reward neurochemical, and when a person first takes cocaine, everything is rewarding. At some point, however, all of the Dopamine is exhausted and nothing holds value or reward for the person. Serotonin is inhibitory, and inhibits stimulus from our environment and also reduces compulsive behavior and thinking, and creates the sleep neurohormones.

When a person is withdrawing, they are likely to suffer overstimulation, anxiety, sleeplessness and even OCD and Tourette’s like symptoms. This is because of the now truly Serotonin deficiency. To combat this while the medication is withdrawn, targeted IV nutrients and other oral supplements designed to actually create Serotonin are employed. This combined with figuring out why the person was originally depressed can create a lasting success and being happy and medication free.

Alternative to Meds Center discovers the medical reasons why a person might be depressed, anxious or unable to sleep. Our program uses lab testing, stabilizing the neurochemistry with natural substances, detoxification from accumulated environmental neurotoxins, medication withdrawal techniques, IV amino therapy and other targeted nutritional therapy, peer support, massage, yoga, personal exercise training and other holistic therapies to combat depression, anxiety and insomnia.

Antidepressants include:
    Citalopram
    Celexa
    Elavil
    Amitriptyline
    Effexor
    Venlafaxine
    Deroxat
    Paroxetine
    Wellbutrin
    Bupropion
    Halcion
    Cymbalta
    Lexapro
    Paxil
    Prozac
    Pristiq
    Provigil
    Fluoxetine
    Remeron
    Mirtazepine
    Halcion
    Amitriptyline
    Trazodone
    Zoloft
    Seroxat

poodlebell

Poodlebell – re your Fibro article above, these are some of the things that jumped out at me –

It’s a well-written, well-organized, clear article, and he seems to understand at least some of the dangers of SSRIs.

Fibromyalgia is now thought to arise from a miscommunication between the nerve impulses of the central nervous system. The neurons, which supply the brain, become more excitable, exaggerating the pain sensation.
    Individuals with fibromyalgia syndrome have low levels of serotonin…
    Although it’s not fully understood, fibromyalgia patients have an imbalance of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. This imbalance creates hormonal inconsistencies, which disrupt the body’s ability to maintain homeostasis.
    It’s important to study further the similarities between psych med neuro damage and Fibromyalgia. Many of us seem to go through Fibro or pseudo-Fibro.

Indeed, I think there is much yet to learn from the areas of overlap among all the types of neuro problems and a lot of chronic, systemic illnesses that have neuro symptoms like Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. We are still in infancy in our understanding of how to help these insidious dysfunctions of the body.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Hi Sheila

the things that jumped out did to me too, I am sure that its not fibro that we have but its on these lines, the article does show how the body works and how we need to rebalance.

poodlebell

Hi Sheila again

what did you make of the detox centre saying that after taking a/d's you are lacking in serotonin. Reading the articles how the thyroid etc connect to the gut and the gut has so much serotonin I am wondering if we are now lacking in this and if taking 5htp would make us a lot better. I did try 5htp in early w/d but it made me worse. Has anyone tried this in later w/d

poodlebell