Thread: Serotonin

Serotonin

I had thought that we had too much seritonin now, when I first came off seroxat was advised to take 5htp and was so much worse with one pill, tried another and same effect.

Read this article and it says we are low in seritonin, what do others think of this

Antidepressant Withdrawal

Persons are often put on an anti-depressant before any substantial investigative effort as to why they are depressed or lack of sleep is looked at. Are they really low Serotonin and that’s the only reason why? What about low thyroid? What about the accumulation of environmental neurotoxins such as heavy metals that destroy energy metabolism? Food allergies whereby the internal swelling slows metabolism can also be a factor. The person may have a diet that is so poor in nutrients that they cannot create what is needed for brain health.

We often forget that our brain is subject to the same insults from a poor diet that our body would suffer from. And then maybe the person may just be immersed in an unfulfilling life, and needs a supportive environment to make healthy changes. It is very common for a person suffering a traumatic event , years later , to be found still taking one or more prescription meds, simply because they are unable to successfully withdraw from the meds without help.

Why does a person experience antidepressant medication withdrawal?
    Even if the person was not Serotonin deficient in the first place, the medication can create a Serotonin deficiency. The SSRI’s and SNRI’s do not create Serotonin, they block the reuptake. The Serotonin is meant to be reuptaken, so the nerve cell can use it again. It is a conservative process. When Serotonin is forced to stay out in the nerve space (synapse), it degrades into its metabolites, and then there is no Serotonin left to reuptake. It is similar to how Cocaine only combats depression for a short time. Cocaine spends all the Dopamine, it does not create it. Dopamine is the reward neurochemical, and when a person first takes cocaine, everything is rewarding. At some point, however, all of the Dopamine is exhausted and nothing holds value or reward for the person. Serotonin is inhibitory, and inhibits stimulus from our environment and also reduces compulsive behavior and thinking, and creates the sleep neurohormones.

When a person is withdrawing, they are likely to suffer overstimulation, anxiety, sleeplessness and even OCD and Tourette’s like symptoms. This is because of the now truly Serotonin deficiency. To combat this while the medication is withdrawn, targeted IV nutrients and other oral supplements designed to actually create Serotonin are employed. This combined with figuring out why the person was originally depressed can create a lasting success and being happy and medication free.

Alternative to Meds Center discovers the medical reasons why a person might be depressed, anxious or unable to sleep. Our program uses lab testing, stabilizing the neurochemistry with natural substances, detoxification from accumulated environmental neurotoxins, medication withdrawal techniques, IV amino therapy and other targeted nutritional therapy, peer support, massage, yoga, personal exercise training and other holistic therapies to combat depression, anxiety and insomnia.

Antidepressants include:
    Citalopram
    Celexa
    Elavil
    Amitriptyline
    Effexor
    Venlafaxine
    Deroxat
    Paroxetine
    Wellbutrin
    Bupropion
    Halcion
    Cymbalta
    Lexapro
    Paxil
    Prozac
    Pristiq
    Provigil
    Fluoxetine
    Remeron
    Mirtazepine
    Halcion
    Amitriptyline
    Trazodone
    Zoloft
    Seroxat

poodlebell

Poodlebell -- I edited the spelling of serotonin in the title so that this thread would be searchable in future.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

for me, with what i have read, when we are on antidepressants, it works as you explain, and receptors who are no more working will slowly disappear, so when we stop the antidepressant, we are really in lack of serotonin, and the few receptors we have are crying(we suffer), after time there is repairing, homeostasis;

adding 5 htp, is making chaos in brain because it does not come from the body, it is artificial external adding; so i think it is a bad idea; better eating natural serotonin and let the body build his serotonin himself;

i am to let the brain and body heal himself without adding artificial serotonin wich is toxic

to add serotonin we had to verify we need and how much is normal level, how is our level; and today science is unable to make this, so all is suggestion theory;
    i do not read people have speed their recovery even with fish oil...we think it can not make harm, but have no proof our recovery is speeder;
    the only answer is time
    but what when after years recovery seem stopped in some areas, why not try supplements, artificial...? i do not know today what do
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    adding 5 htp, is making chaos in brain because it does not come from the body, it is artificial external adding; so i think it is a bad idea; better eating natural serotonin and let the body build his serotonin himself
    Totally agree on that one. To regain homeostasis again, the less chemical external intervention, the better.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.