Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Laura Bruno book – “If I only had a brain injury”

Stan -- Thank you, my faithful publicity agent!

Angie -- I know you’re trained in Reiki! I remember. I just didn’t want to post it unless you wanted it posted. I think that’s really great, and I hope you’ll tell us more about your experiences and your thoughts about it all as you go along.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Highlights from Laura Bruno’s book about her experience of full recovery from neurological damage --

“You hold within you the key to your true healing.” (p. 44)

Sensory filtration no longer works. “What used to occur automatically now requires conscious effort.” (p. 56)

Do exercises that increase communication between the hemispheres of your brain. For example, touching right hand to left knee. (p. 60)

If you can’t tolerate reading, listen to books on tape. (p. 74)

Experiment and find out what diet works for *you*. She did well on a high-wheat diet, but couldn’t tolerate oats. She discovered a raw food diet when she was already mostly healed, but still found it added a great deal to her health. (p. 82)

“TBI is a control freak’s nightmare….If all factors seem to converge against you, then you probably do not suffer from bad luck. More likely, the universe has given you a chance to trust in its support. Only when every door slams in your face and locks can you experience a miraculous exit.” (p. 99).

Find the value in the symptoms. She learned Reiki. “My excessive TBI sensitivity actually helped me to detect subtle vibrations around other people and in myself….I believe the process of trying something entirely new – and mastering it – helped in my recovery.” (p. 105)

Just when you think you’ve passed the worst of the journey, there may be yet another difficult patch. It seems so unfair. The closer you get to your goal, the stronger the inner resistance may become. What she discovered she had been afraid of was not putative external dangers, but her own power. (p. 115)

“If a brain injury does not teach you patience, then I don’t know what will…You might hold a vision of what recovery looks like, but you cannot know when or in what condition you will arrive…Trying to force yourself to the next plateau of health does not work, because change takes time.” (p. 118)

Neurological problems offer fertile ground for spiritual awakening. Brain fog forcibly changes your state of consciousness. “Instead of lamenting the disappearance of parts of your old self, you might want to consider the part of you that remains unchanged. The part, this Awareness, probably grows more apparent when the rest of you shuts down.” (p. 135)

From William Padula, OD, president of the Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association – People with brain injury often have visual problems, yet their eye exams show nothing wrong. This is because their eyes may be healthy, but the brain is not synching visual info with sensory motor info.

There are two visual processing centers – focal and ambient. Focal is for details, concentration, processed in occipital lobe. Ambient is for peripheral vision, and synching with vestibular, kinesthetic, and propioceptive systems, processed in the midbrain.

Following neurological damage, there is often either a dysfunction of the ambient system and/or a desynchronization of the focal and ambient systems.

Behavioral optometry, aka Neuro-Optometry, aka Visual Development offers lots of ways of measuring these problems and treating them with exercises. No meds. No surgery. No permanent corrective lenses.

Neuro-Optometric Rehab Assoc -- www.nora.cc

Cranio-sacral treatment -- upledger.com

braininjurychat.org

migrainepage.com

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Some great quotes, Sheila. Thanks for them!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Interesting, in fact I did already some of those things in early WD and it did not lift any symptom... Nevertheless, some of those things did pull me through. And maybe some if its lessons will fall into place after healing to a next level. I will have a look whether the book has been translated or read it in English.

Btw, did she suffer from psysical brain injury or damages caused by psych meds like us? BEcause that appears to be completely different in terms of symptoms as well as medical support.
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.
    All we need is just a little patience - Guns N' Roses

One more, has anybody actually read it? I would like to order and read it, but want to make sure that is also addresses our very unique situation: severely damaged by psychiatric drugs, prescribed without any warning, and left alone in the dark afterwards by the medical community.
    Is the book really worth reading in our situation? If so, I will definately do!
    Recovering from the ravages of withdrawal after 5 years on Paxil/Seroxat, originally prescribed for stress and, looking backward, PTSS.
    Though it is hardly possible to get something positive from the utter hell of repeated c/t's and protracted w/d, all of this unnecessary, I still believe in the possiblity to emerge from this as a healed, wiser human being.

Yes, I read it, and I highly recommend it to us. Even though I am 7 years out, I still benefited from it. I found it very validating and relieving to hear someone with a different type of neuro damage describe so much in common with our experience. And she fully recovered and is leading a happy life.

She lost consciousness briefly from a concussion after being rear-ended in a car accident at about 24 years of age. But she had lost consciousness several times from sports injury concussions in her youth, so that may very well have contributed.

She described a lot that is very similar to what we go through -- symptoms (I was surprised at the overlap with our symptoms, especially the hyperesthesia -- extreme sensory sensitivity), emotional reactions to being so ill so long with a "mystery illness," difficulty getting medical help, difficulty getting insurance to believe her, difficulty in all relationships, loss of job, career plans, old life, cobbling together her own alternative treatment plan, finding new supporters, developing a new spiritual perspective on the whole thing, discovering new passions, emerging from the 6 year ordeal saying --

-- She says if she looks at her life right now, she wouldn’t trade it for a life without the accident. So much great stuff has come from the journey that happened because of the accident. --

-- Holger Kalweit

I will get it soon, sounds very interesting!

bump

This is very inspiring, reassuring, and informative. About how difficult a neuro injury can be, and yet how well one can recover from it.

-- Holger Kalweit

bump for nancys

-- Holger Kalweit

This book will help you a lot, Nancy!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.