Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 18 years on psychotropics and waking up

18 years on psychotropics and waking up

Hi everyone. I've been reading many of your threads for awhile as i've tried to find the strength to post. It was Lotty's recent posts that encouraged me to jump in even though I feel so weak and very scared.
    My med history is probably not so unusual: SS/NRIs started in 1993 for what was originally fatigue and general malaise. Klonopin added for bruxism which was later attributed to Zoloft, but, of course, I'm dependent on still. Work comp neck injury and 11 years of litigation while in severe chronic pain ended in loss of career in 2001 and major depressive disorder treated with everything but MAOIs - most antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, lithium, ADHD agents (absolutely no psychosis or mania).
    Tapered Pristiq from 100mg over 8 months ending in Spring 2011. I thought I was being careful, but did not know about any support forums at that time. I didn't have brain zaps, so thought I had escaped unscathed. I attributed the anxiety and early morning wakenings/panic to life events. Learned about protracted withdrawal/dysautonomia thru GiannaK's Beyond Meds blog. I was diagnosed with polyendocrine failure and liver disease that was likely present years ago and cause of the original fatigue and malaise that was treated as depression. My endocrinologist explained how SS/NRIs worsen depression, something I suspected long ago and reason I decided to DC Pristiq. I didn't tell my pdoc unil after i was finished tapering. His response was "Good. It was probably flattening you anyway". FLATTENING?? That sounded alot like 'DEPRESSING'. It was the next day that I saw my Endocrinologist and he confirmed my suspicions. I learned through SA that all of the bizarre things I was experiencing through my taper were classic withdrawal. I feel fortunate to not have had zaps or GI problems.
    The first several months of w/d were characterized by anxiety, AM panic, and a need to keep moving that I now think was a type of akathisia. One day in July 2011, I packed my car with everything that would fit and drove away from my home and husband in Southern California. I had no plan or destination. I ended up driving across the country by myself, staying in whatever hotel in whatever town I found myself in when I was tired. It all seems like a vague dream now. I returned to California in October and physically and emotional crashed. I've been unable to get moving again.

I can't remember what I've done to stay occupied since losing my career in 2001. The void is overwhelming. I have no kids and am estranged from my family that is centered around older sister's drug addiction.

Emotions are returning as many have described. Also, it feels like my entire life PRE-drugs is being dredged up for my review. Flashes of memories are hitting me with clarity - or I think it's clarity. I'm not sure of anything at this point. The memories are not new or things I hadn't thought about, but I'm seeing how things in my family and childhood effected me far more than i realized. My parents (now in 80s) have completely supported my sister (house, car, health insurance, dog food, expenses) in addition to giving her a weekly allowance that buys drugs. They know this. Everyone knows she's a drug addict. I'm the only one who has seen the total destruction to my family and blame my father, not my sister as I had done for many years. I begged him over the years to stop providing drug money. He wouldn't. She might end up on the street and be an embarrassment to the family in my small hometown in Pennsylvnia.
    She OD'd when i was visiting in 2008. I got her to the ER who admitted her to psych for 5 days. She threatened to hunt me down and kill me if it was the last thing she did. That was just one of many times she threatened to kill me, but it was witnessed by psych hospital staff. They still released her and dad continued providing her with drug money. It was during my taper that she threatened a friend who tried to help. Hearing the message she left for him -the exact message I'd received many times over the years- stopped me in my tracks. I thought 'this is not right. It is not ok to threaten to kill people. Why did this not hit before??' Why has nobody - doctors, parents, police, husband (an MD) - tried to help ME?? Cousins in my hometown are afraid of her. They come to me asking if THEY are safe. She's never, to my knowledge, threatened anyone besides me and friend.

I will write more when I can.
    Mornings are hellish and last well into the day. I've had a few decent hours in the evening when I think of things I'd like to do the following day, but then wake up and go through the same fight. I feel like a completely different person later in the day.

Hi BB,

It's Lotty. Just wanted to say hello. I see you mentioned me in your post.

Much love,
    xxxx

Good for you for posting! Welcome!

Ha ha! I’d like to “flatten” some of your doctors…..

Really, you are a survivor, BB. You have been through the mill. Brava for getting off almost everything. And you have had a classic journey of awakening to the iatrogenesis of these meds. Boy, I remember Fall 05 starting to Google about why I was feeling so weird *after* a nice, slow taper off Paxil.

It also sounds like you are going through a full healing and re-ordering of yourself. Almost like the life review in an NDE, only slower, and very much alive. You’re learning so much about what you really think about things. You are waking up, indeed.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Welcome BabblingBroke among us, trhe "survivors"!
    You have passed through very hard times but you will have better days because we will all heal.
    This forum is a very friendly place which helps a lot.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

Welcome to IAWP, BB! It's been hell of a ride for you indeed. But it will keep improving. In her post, Sheila mentioned iatrogenesis. The good news is that more and more people are waking up to the fact of what incredible lie we have been fed for so so long by the medical system. I really can't imagine where we could be now, hadn't it been for the Internet.

Anyway, please, stay brave. It's only a matter of time before we heal.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

hello Bab, i read your story and will try to understand with my bad english, welcome,
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the warm and encouraging support. There is a wonderful energy here and I hope that you'll forgive my negativity and anger that feels like is spewing from me through this. I try to stay positive. My situation is very challenging as my husband is a Medical Doctor and, though he is recognizing the fraud and danger, he still is in the medical world that uses them. He also is very overmedicated. He tapered Effexor over the past 6 weeks after 20 years on SS/NRIs and CT'd Vyvanse and a Z sleeper. He has mocked the slow tapering methods. So, what should be my main support is quite the opposite. Everyone knows he is The Doctor and assumes I am being taken care of. Very few people know that he is on more drugs than I ever was at one time (same pdoc). My doctors are his colleagues. It's a very tangled web and I've had no safe place to escape to.

Thank you for listening.

Hi BB,
    Welcome, so sorry you have had such an incredible ride, i send you healing thoughts and wish you all the best in your recovery journey !!

Hi BB glad you decided to post. Welcome!

Babbling Brooke,

I too, would like to welcome you aboard. Thanks so much for finding the strength to post and I'm so glad to here how Lotty helped inspire you. I can clearly see how your journal thread is going to help others and then they too will be encouraged to post.

Everyone here at IAWP will be looking forward to hearing more about your journey during withdrawal and both, what is currently working and not working for you.

Warm regards,

Barbara
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche