Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: equilibrium, off balance vertigo when horizontal...when standing

hello Squirrel, because real vertigo is walls are moving, floor is moving;
    i have sometime a little vertigo and more ataxia
    from wikipedia : Ataxia (from Greek α- [a negative prefix] + -τάξις [order] = "lack of order"), is a neurological sign consisting of lack of voluntary coordination of muscle movements, as in walking. Ataxia is a non-specific clinical manifestation implying dysfunction of the parts of the nervous system that coordinate movement, such as the cerebellum. Several possible causes exist for these patterns of neurological dysfunction. The term "dystaxia" is a rarely-used synonym.
    the google translate from french wikipedia:Ataxia is manifested mainly by abnormal gait, balance and upright posture, the movement guidance by sight.
    It is observed by the rebound, there is no brake in the movement, the subject is over the target due to late braking antagonist muscles.
    and with Cosette(she found this) we see that it describes exactly my standing problems, walking problems, equilibrium and vision; all this is linked with spine nerves and peripheric nerves;
    wiki says also it results from benzo tapering (AD=benzo)

and i suspect to have it when lying in horizontal(a mix with ataxia and little vertigo and other feelings i am unable to describe, but they are very disabling in my case;
    the term of dizziness or vertigo do not describe well my state, but ataxia yes, when i stand i fall in front and behind, and the vision plays a big part if i close eyes, i am very bad as wiki says
    Last edited by stan; 04-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

i am not sure what mine is then. I feel like I am moving when I am still, I have the feeling that I am on a boat which is moving or the floor under my feet is moving.i used to feel like the car was moving when it was parked but thats gone now, and the bed bobbing which has also gone. I have been told that it is the vestibular occular reflex but that was back in the beginning. I have since been told it is labyrinthitus but I do not believe it is that as it has gone on for so long.

your symptôms seem more as vertigo, i read anxiety can play a big part on it or cervical vertebrae(which is cured with an osteopath) but maybe you already tried this
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg

No i haven't tried seeing an oestopath. tried accupuncture and balance exercises.

in your case i would try an "ethiopathe"

in France, the ethiopathe is a mild oestopath, because there is always a risk to move vertebrae, so mild is maybe better

Since two years i had the problem of kind of vertigo/terror when lying horizontal,
    since several weeks, it seems gone 80%
    so i try to lie in bed three hours per night
    all is not perfect, i have, when horizontal, severe dry mouth, tongue, eyes, nocturia and back pain(less severe)
    as all is rubik's cube, maybe it will come back,
    but actually i have a 80 % improvement in this scary symptome

So good to hear it keeps improving for you, Stan. Even if it came back, it will not be as intense as before. You're healing.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Vertigo when laying in bed is a really scary symptome.I have had it for many months, then it has gone away and appeared sometimes again but milder.
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )

That is really great news, Stan! What an achievement to be able to lie flat again! I have not been able to lie flat for years -- but in my case it is because of sinus. Congratulations! You are healing!

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit