Thread: ""Texas has a lot of electrical votes," Yogi Berra

""Texas has a lot of electrical votes," Yogi Berra

This is pure WD gold. Is anyone experiencing the similar? You say something, then, *only afterwards*, you realize it's something totally lacking any logic; wrong word - malapropism, the non-existing grammar (in my mother's tongue the number of possible prefixes and suffixes is much higher than in English, and usually only one fits, thus, using the wrong one has a comical effect), and many more. To make it all worse, no matter how much I try to "prepare" for what I'm going to say, most of the times the things just go awry. It would be the closest to synapses simply misfiring big time, I guess.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Yogi Berra is the best!

My problem is more pure word-finding. I have brief blockage of the simplest words. And I have much longer blockage of less commonly used words. I use the thesaurus a lot.

It has waxed and waned over the course of the travesty. In some ways, it gets worse every time I become able to do more -- like start the IAWP, or speak more quickly -- it becomes more apparent, until I master the new level of functioning better. But, over all, my vocabulary is slowly recovering.

But, I've heard of lots of people having the malapropism issue, and, of course, it gets better, too.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    My problem is more pure word-finding. I have brief blockage of the simplest words.
    Oh, 100% yes. Same here. Absolutely identical. Many folks in other forums used to describe it as the words being hidden behind a thick glass - it's there and it isn't at the same time; you intuitively know what word you're looking for, but it just doesn't want to click.

I guess, in terms of cognitive psychology, it would mean that you guys have been unable to properly access your mental lexicon. I had some issues with that when I first reinstated but haven't while withdrawing.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Junior – interesting about the “mental lexicon.”

Luc – I thought about this more, and I think maybe the wrong word *does* come into my mind, but I inhibit saying it.

So, it’ll be: “I need to get a…..[tornado, tortilla, turnover]…..tomato.”

I think / hear all those words clearly in my head, but they don’t actually come out my mouth.

It has been an eye-opener to me to discover that words are filed in my brain largely by alliteration or consonance, and less by meaning. This is not at all what I would have predicted. It’s a little disappointing to me, sort of de-humanizing. Makes me seem more like a robot, but the answer may be that my *brain* is somewhat robotic, however, *I* am much more than my brain or body.

Here’s another odd thing that happens. Kind of the reverse. I will have a word come into my head for no apparent reason, and feel a strong urge to say it out loud, which I do. These are words that don’t *seem* to have a lot of symbolic meaning, but sometimes feel good sensorily to say.

Examples from yesterday: “rearrange,” “cobble”

I don’t remember having this before meds.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Junior – interesting about the “mental lexicon.”

Luc – I thought about this more, and I think maybe the wrong word *does* come into my mind, but I inhibit saying it.

So, it’ll be: “I need to get a…..[tornado, tortilla, turnover]…..tomato.”

I think / hear all those words clearly in my head, but they don’t actually come out my mouth.

It has been an eye-opener to me to discover that words are filed in my brain largely by alliteration or consonance, and less by meaning. This is not at all what I would have predicted. It’s a little disappointing to me, sort of de-humanizing. Makes me seem more like a robot, but the answer may be that my *brain* is somewhat robotic, however, *I* am much more than my brain or body.

Here’s another odd thing that happens. Kind of the reverse. I will have a word come into my head for no apparent reason, and feel a strong urge to say it out loud, which I do. These are words that don’t *seem* to have a lot of symbolic meaning, but sometimes feel good sensorily to say.

Examples from yesterday: “rearrange,” “cobble”

I don’t remember having this before meds.

So MUCH similar stuff going on here. Somebody who is in the know as far as my WD goes (though not a WD-er herself) asked me about one of the symptoms - to try to explain it to her. I answered that no matter how I tried, this just defy words - unless you experience it yourself, you won't be able to comprehend it.