Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Away from Chronic Illness...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

. Tried to post a few more photos but it wouldn't let me.
    hello Mike, there is a limit in software, but post again please, each time some

episodes of confusion seem real crap; when we are in this state we need people around us;
    with more time, hope these episodes will be less frequent;
    migraines so long, i cannot imagine it; i have ophtalmic migraine but the duration is half an hour
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thanks everyone and thanks for the links, Sheila. It's interesting that you posted these. I had been googling migraine and TBI the day before you posted these. I did find Laura's story interesting and inspiring but I need to go back and read the stories again. The part about the "residue" and people healing after she was in the office was fascinating...

Another rough day today. I felt pretty decent for a while this morning but as soon as I started planning a ride the confusion came. I decided to go anyway. I convinced myself that exposure was the way to go but now I am not so sure. It was a really tough ride and I probably shouldn't have been out there. It's been almost 10 hours and there's been no improvement. It would be one thing if these were just "waves" to be endured but my thoughts are triggering the episode and it's crazy making... I really don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Another rough day today. I felt pretty decent for a while this morning but as soon as I started planning a ride the confusion came. I decided to go anyway. I convinced myself that exposure was the way to go but now I am not so sure. It was a really tough ride and I probably shouldn't have been out there. It's been almost 10 hours and there's been no improvement. It would be one thing if these were just "waves" to be endured but my thoughts are triggering the episode and it's crazy making... I really don't know what to do.

it seems a bad reflex automatic, i have many abnormal reflexes between things who normally are separate(example: left arm and eating...vision-cognition thinking-standing,etc)
    exposure, yes i think, but mild will be better in the future, maybe...;
    i thought that if it hurts, the body repairs for less hurting, but apparently the body lives with pain, why? is he lost in repairing because he never was made to repair himself in so altered states, or maybe he needs years to improve again a little, or will this pass and never come back, or come back two times and then no more?
    i wish you it goes away, and then study the "as I started planning a ride the confusion came", what is the problem in thinking
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Mike, if I could be of any help, I'd say this; when I was in my early 20s, I started to suffer from a *very* bad sciatica and back pain. I went to several doctors (among them a neurosurgeon) - after examining me and looking at the myriad of X-rays and MRIs, they would all conclude that one of the discs in my spine is pinching on the nerve, and that the surgery would be the only way out of it. I was totally desperate and would agree to anything if this only took the pain away. Yet, I went to this one more doctor and to my utter amazement, his diagnosis was very much different from all the rest. To this day, I remember him looking at the X-rays (he had put them on those special wall board with the light underneath). He was looking and looking at it, and then said very much surprised (and I quote): "There's nothing wrong here. Who told you there's something wrong here?" It turned out that all that pain was psychosomatic. The question remains though, WHY all the previous "doctors" found "something" there and were so scalpel-happy to cut the hell out of me? Mistaken diagnosis? Some atavistic urge to experiment on the patients? Ignorance? I really don't know. This way or that, the thing is that the sciatica and back pain started to abate in the next week or so after the diagnosis had been made. Now, years after this experience, 99% of the time I don't have those symptoms, BUT every time I reminisce about them, they're... back. But every time this happens (since I know what they *really* are), I just automatically switch in my mind to "they will go again, I'll keep doing what I'm doing notwitstanding" mode. And they always disappear.

Anyway, this post is not so much about the medical errors as the power of our psyche. Of course, it must be remembered that we're all different, and I'd never like to ill-advise you, Mike. The approach I described here might be, though, worth looking into.

Oh, one more thing - at some point, your psyche has healed to such a degree, that even psychosomatic symptoms will have disappeared (along with the still present more somatic WD-symptoms).

Lol, somewhere in the middle of this post, I started to feel this sciatic-like tingling at the back of my thighs. But I couldn't care less. Come to think of it, 90% of us, at the mere thought, look or smell of a lemon, will go sour in the mouth.
    Last edited by Luc; 04-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Gawd, another synchro! Three members of this tiny community discovered Laura Bruno independently the same week! Amazing.

I’m sorry the confusion is being such torture. It *is* hard to know what to do. The situation is very complex.

I’m sending you healing energy.

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support.

John Sarno has written several popular books on the topic of psychosomatic back pain. The reviews from back patients on Amazon are quite high... I also remember when I went for an imaging study a few years ago the nurse mentioned that surgery for a certain kind of back pain almost never worked. I don't doubt that stress, repression of emotions, etc can lead to back pain. The mind is very powerful... So glad your back is better, Luc!

If the confusion were less debilitating I would simply just function with it, which would reduce worry, which in turn would reduce the episodes. The problem is that I can't function all that well with it or even if I can muddle through my day I feel awful. Yesterday I thought I was doing the right thing. I got the confusion before the bike ride and still forced myself to go. I had every expectation that this was the right thing to do and was actually excited that repetitive exposure would help but on the bike things got worse. Beyond the cognitive stuff my visual perception was really off and I felt scared, vulnerable, and not all together safe. It's a gross fog that is very settling. In my non-biking life if I say to myself "so what, do your best, don't let this ruin your day." It can help a bit in the sense that my emotions don't make things worse but the symtoms don't improve all that much. Once the switch is flipped it's flipped and the only thing that tends to reduce it is sleep. Not a nap but a full nights sleep (or maybe it's just time).

I'll get the Sarno book and see if there's anything there that might be helpful. I am considering therapy but I am also open to ANY suggestions if you guys have them.

Thanks,

Mike

Do you have any thoughts on how I might approach this, Sheila? I have new post above with a little more info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Gawd, another synchro! Three members of this tiny community discovered Laura Bruno independently the same week! Amazing.

I’m sorry the confusion is being such torture. It *is* hard to know what to do. The situation is very complex.

I’m sending you healing energy.

With the confusion episodees, it sounds like there are potentially two ways in – doing something about the worry and doing something about the back muscles tensing.

And it seems like it might help to just hold in mind that this is neurological, psychological, *and* teleological / cosmic.

Here’s one thought -- When the confusion or confusion prodrome start, have you tried doing something that you really enjoy but that is not physical or verbal? Like lying down listening to music, or sitting somewhere looking at a nice vista? I’m trying to borrow from Laura Bruno’s idea that certain insurmountable symptoms are a call to listen to some inner voice tell you something. What if we’re misinterpreting the confusion, and it is actually insight or intuition that you are pushing away because you haven’t been supported in recognizing it?

You were slightly drawn to the residual field effect thing, so I’m paying attention to that. If the confusion comes, and it’s not a good idea to leave the house, you could immerse yourself in cycling magazines or movies. (You’ve seen “Breaking Away,” right? I love that movie.) Or you could increase your exposure to a good field effect by sitting in a bike shop, bike club, or watching in a place where people bike. Then, *really* pay attention to what comes to mind. You already had a lot of insight and intuition before this decent experience, and you have more and more coming up now.

IOW, maybe try broadening your focus of attention in a passive, receptive way, while you use something you enjoy to keep the space propped open and to ward off the anxious thought content. Also, spin a plate on the end of a stick from your forehead at the same time….

Dennis Christopher in “Breaking Away,” 1979

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Some atavistic urge to experiment on the patients?
    This is the one!

Very good teaching story, Luc!

-- Holger Kalweit