Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Away from Chronic Illness...

Cycling Away from Chronic Illness...

Hi, please see my introduction in my Unexpected Gift thread...

If it's OK with everyone I'd like to use this space to journal about cycling with chronic illness. These will be quick and dirty journal entries to track my general progress with reflections on the role that cycling may be playing my recovery...

My first entry...

I am on day 23 of a migraine, which for me means an intense headache, sound sensitivity, free-floating anger, cognitive changes, occasional visual phenomena, and a feeling of being "off" and disconnected. I woke with most of the above today but decided that if I felt good enough to drive that I should try a ride in a rural area with low traffic. I had taken 3 days off from biking because of the weather and the migraine but at some point I start getting antsy and figure it's better to go and feel bad than to wait interminably for my symptoms to clear... My days seem to divided between "stay close to home self-care days" and healthy defiance days...

When I got to my start point I felt really out of it and worse than before I left. I thought that I had made a mistake but decided to give it a go anyway. I find that the first 15 minutes of biking is always a leap of faith regardless of how I am feeling. It takes a while to find my rhythm and connect to the surroundings... So off I went and while the migraine didn't magically disappear it became more bearable. It was my second time out on clipless pedals, in which you are connected to the bike with cleats. I had my first fall when I pulled off the road to let a truck pass on a dangerous stretch of road. There was a bit of mud, the bike slowed, and I didn't clip out quickly enough. Luckily I had a rather soft landing and didn't even get scraped up. As time goes on I'll get better at anticipating when I need to clip out...

Midway through the ride I started daydreaming about my cross country trip I've loosely planed for spring of 2014.... I still have intense withdrawal related anxiety when I wake up in the middle of the night and lately when I've been waking up with these "terrors" I think about the bike trip and say to myself "imagine this in a tent in a city park in Kentucky" realizing that I am not ready, that I need more time to heal... But I also realize that everything is distorted at night and seems scarier than it really is so today when I was riding I thought what if THIS ride was the cross country ride? What if you were on mile 30 of the day in Illinois, and next you'd stop for lunch, ride 30 more miles, and then stay at a campground or hostel that night"? "How would that feel?" And in asking myself this question I felt such joy, excitement, and contentment because the trip felt so *right.* It helped me to realize that while I do need more time to heal I am getting closer to realizing this dream. It also helped to further highlight the distortions of the night terror thinking and that this is no time to making decisions nor should I let this color my daytime thinking. Ask the question on the bike!

Also of note today is that for second time in a decade I drove on the expressway... Conquering my expressway driving fears is one of 2012 cycling goals. I've listed it as a cycling goal because I've spent so much extra time/gas/money driving crazy routes to avoid highways when I drive to my start points... Feeling good about this victory...

OK that's it for today... Thanks for listening...

Such a great post, Mike. :) I so know how long it has already been for you, yet; 1. It's been improving, 2. It will keep improving. Congtats on your driving on the expressway. There will be even more victories with time. Your every post speak volumes of your fortitude and patience. There will come a moment when this whole WD experience becomes just the newer-to-be-returned past. Please, keep us updated!
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks for your encouragement, Luc. You are healing too. I admire you for how positive you've been able to be in the midst of such pain and the good work you are doing here at IAWP... Be strong, carry on, and keep the faith.

This journal is a great idea, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ask the question on the bike!

Brilliant! This will be one of our new IAWP memes! You did an excellent job of reasoning with yourself, and finding the excitement and joy that were hiding behind the fear.

As Barbara said: Bikes forever! (Another new IAWP meme....)

o-KT-o <--- another attempt at a bike a la Luc
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

interesting story of gradual recovery!...
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

23 days in a migraine!...

hope it is gone today!
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Thanks, Stan. I still have it... Last summer I had one for 19 days and then not very many after that... I like to think this is a part of healing since some of my other symptoms disappear when I have a migraine.Like a see-saw, trying to find a balancing point?? Here's hoping you are on the upswing...

Mike, this is a terrific idea, and many of us on the site will be looking forward to the next installment on your journal thread. (where is our bicycle emoticon?) :
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

Hang in there, Mike! I so hope this darn migraine will abate soon. Stay strong! We're with you all the time.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

In honor of Mike, we now have bicycle emoticons, thanks to our Webmaster!

<< Mike in training

<< Stan going to the shops

<< Me barely able to remember how to ride a bike

Thank you, Stan!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit