Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Unexpected Gift

An Unexpected Gift

Hi, everyone.... A quick intro and then I wanted to share a little about how I am "following my bliss" and how this is impactingmy healing.

I've gone by the screen name of "Light" on other sites before... I am nearly 7 years clean from a 4+ year taper off of cocktail of antidepressants and other psychiatric medications that were prescribed for depression. My withdrawal symptoms included mood swings, severe anxiety, numerous cognitive problems, auditory processing issues, twitches, tremors, jerks, dissociation, blinding fatigue, sleep disturbance, severe stress intolerance, intense discomfort in my muscles, confusion, agitation, migraines, morning terrors, emotional lability, numerous sensory sensitivities, and other symptoms/states that defy description. Beyond the symptoms themselves, the psychological and social toll associated with being chronically ill has been huge. Overall, some things have improved over the years while others haven't. I am functioning at a higher level than I used to, I am more hopeful, but I am still experiencing discomfort most of the time and struggling with day to day living. I do believe that some healing process is underway and that that healing will continue in some way but I don't necessarily expect a full recovery. I am doing my best at accepting where I am at and making the best of what I have.

OK, onto my bliss... Last June I injured my knee while trying to start a running program and decided to buy a bike. I saw the bike as a way to exercise while my knee healed and thought that it would be a good way to cross train when I got back into running. My symptoms last summer were so difficult that even getting to the bike shop was difficult. There were a couple of aborted attempts, several days of waiting for a "window" to appear, and other frustrations but finally I was able to make the trip and came home with a hybrid bicycle (a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike). When the day came for my first ride on the new bike it became clear how isolated I've been for all of these years. I'd been living in upstate NY for 4 years and I only knew where the grocery store was, my son's school, and my doctor's office. I knew that that there was a major lake to the north but other than that I had no lay of the land. So, anyway off I go on my first ride.... My only goal was to get to a beautiful pedestrian bridge that I had briefly and uncomfortably stood on once before during an attempt to participate in an outdoor family activity. The ride there was comfortable and once again the view from the bridge was amazing but I felt slightly different having ridden there vs dragging myself there in a car. Maybe it's that I hate feeling like a tourist and driving to scenic locales makes me feel that way or maybe it's because having ridden a bike there my life felt a little bigger?

Anyway, I get to other side of bridge and after a steep somewhat challenging climb I find a non-descript major street in a so-so neighborhood. The ride ride gets a little bumpy, there is glass everywhere, and I become worried about getting a flat in this questionable neighborhood. But then I am distracted by a beautiful building that I later read was a Roman Catholic seminary dating back to the early 19th century. I start noticing the scenery more than had I been in a car... I come upon a trail head that branch's off from the main street I am on. I am feeling far from home home and vulnerable because of some neuro symptoms that I was experiencing. I turn to to my right to survey my surroundings and this older woman on a bike calls out to me and says "have you ever been down there?... you should really go down there. It's beautiful." So off I go and soon I find myself zooming 22 mph down a wooded path that is covered by a canopy of trees. Flying through this green tunnel I felt weightless, exhilarated, and more alive than I had in a very long time... Next, I pop out into the sun and there is long wood pedestrian bridge that goes over water (an inlet that borders a river). I continue on a path that takes me to a beach on the lake (yet another place that I once briefly stood in a desperate attempt to participate in life). From the lake front path, I enter a beautiful wooded area, and on the way back I find farmlands that I didn't know even existed (about a mile from my house). In this and subsequent rides I saw swans, swimming turtles, numerous deer, wild turkeys, geese walking single file in a crosswalk, Buddhist monks in the woods, baptisms in the lake, and so much more. That first ride left me feeling more connected to life and for the first time in years I was excited about something. I left with the feeling that my life was bigger and that cycling was going to be about more than exercise to me.

My cycling has come along way since those first rides on my hybrid. A couple of months after I started I developed the need for speed and picked up a road bike and have started riding longer distances, averaging about 150 miles per week. I've experienced more of the area where I live as I've begun riding in the country and in the Finger Lakes region of New York. I've lost ten lbs, my fitness has improved by leaps and bounds, and I've all but thrown my television in the trash can. I've developed an interest in touring and this year, health permitting, I hope to go on my first overnight trip.

I should add that not all of my rides have been bliss. One particular set of episodic symptoms (confusion, intense muscle irritation, and agitation) is very challenging and is present for almost all of my riding. I find that riding can distract me from my symptoms on a good day but on a bad day my symptoms can greatly distract me from the ride. It's a constant push and pull but most of the time I feel good about having made the effort and I have hope that things will improve.

So what does this all mean in term of my health? Below are a several ways in which I believe that cycling has helped me.

--On the bike every x number of pedal strokes produces y amount of movement. Tough rides reliably lead to greater fitness, speed, and endurance. In a linear way I am getting out what I am putting in, which can't be said of the illness experience. This has given me a measure of control over my body that I didn't have before.

--My love of cycling has given me a focus that I didn't have before. Having goals and something to look forward to has been very good for me.

--Since most of rides are rural, cycling has forced me to face my fears of driving. Last year I began driving 20-30 miles through the city and this year I'll tackle my fear of expressway driving.

--Cycling is challenging me in ways that change how I think about myself. For instance, I am not mechanically inclined and had considerable anxiety about getting flats in rural areas but after several missteps and half successes I finally fixed my first flat the other day on the road and it was an amazing feeling. This has prompted me to learn more about bicycle mechanics.

--Cycling has increased my interest in becoming more social. I've been rather isolated for years and last year I went on my first bike ride with a friend. This year I plan on joining a bike club.

--I can't help but think that on a physiological level that cycling has promoted neuroplasticity and is helping me to heal.

--Cycling provides metaphors--when I slug it out on the bike up a tough climb, through a headwind, or the final miles of a long ride it makes me tougher and I can translate these feelings of mastery to the illness experience. (It works the other way too.).

--As I mentioned above, cycling can distract me from my symptoms.

Finally, I wanted to share that finding this passion has felt like real gift to me. So many things came together to make me feel this way. For instance, money has been very tight and buying that first bike was a stretch. When my wife who is concerned about our finances and conservative with money said "you're getting a bike." I felt even more supported than I did before. Later when I need more equipment that we couldn't afford my wife told me about a program in which our health insurance will pay us for good lab results, not smoking, filling out health assessments, etc. For about an hours worth of work I got $300 for bike gear. Family helped buy my road bike... I've also noticed that while many of them don't know what to say about my health they can rally behind my cycling.... This is my long way of saying that good things can happen if you put yourself out there and are open to them...

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." ---W. H. Murray and Wolfgang Goethe---

So what's your bliss? Any more start-ups out there?

-Mike

Mike, what a wonderful story! I am so glad to hear despite not being 100% you are doing so well in other areas and that you have found this passion in riding your bike. I can hardly believe that you have been in NY for four years I remember when you moved where did the time go? You were such a wonderful cyber friend to me when I was going through the worse of my withdrawal!

My “bliss” has been in returning to Art…I was an Art major in college many years ago, but never finished or pursued it. Last September I enrolled in an “open studio” Art class and am loving it! I am learning to use pastels a medium I have never used before. I have been pleasantly surprised that I really like the medium because I had always thought I wouldn’t. I can get “lost” in the drawings and working the colors. Another blissful moment was when I completed my first piece and the instructor said (in front of the class) that mine was one of the best “first pastels” of all his students! He and I are probably about the same age (I won’t elaborate lol ) so he’s had quite a few students! I’ve even set up a mini studio in my home. I totally agree with your comment “good things can happen if you put yourself out there and are open to them...”

Wow, Mike! What a fascinating, uplifting, and well-written report!

And what a great advertisement this is for riding a bike instead of driving a car!

I love the juxtaposition of how hard it was to get to the bike shop in the first place, and then what a fabulous experience has unfolded from making it to the bike shop after all! We get so beaten down by this severe, chronic syndrome, that it becomes hard to believe that following through on a desire just might lead to great things.

That was mystical that older woman cyclist you encountered! A guide…

I’m so glad it still feels worth doing even when the neuro recovery symptoms flare up.

I also just love how the doors opened once you found and allowed yourself to pursue something that you genuinely love. That kind of magic is just the best feeling. Great quote from Murray / Goethe.

I want to testify that I have known you since 2006, and I know how sick you have been and for how long. (You do a great job of conveying the misery of trying to function in the world during this travesty.) The fact that now you are cycling like this is kind of miraculous! And, once it started, it happened pretty fast. This is going to really reassure a lot of people. And this substantial exercise and meditative discipline has just got to be great for your continued overall healing.

One question – Did you have any interest in cycling before last year or did the idea come to you out of the blue? If it came to you out of the blue, do you remember what sparked it? Like a TV show, magazine article, mentioned by someone you know? Or did it just start as a sort of low-key, practical solution to a knee problem, that, with time, revealed itself to be your destiny?
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Cindy – I think it’s so interesting that you didn’t think you liked pastels, and now you do. We have certainly been through a lot of change. How great that you get lost in the process – true “flow.” And congratulations on the praise and recognition from the teacher!

That’s great that you’ve set up a studio in your home!

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Mike, what a wonderful story! I am so glad to hear despite not being 100% you are doing so well in other areas and that you have found this passion in riding your bike. I can hardly believe that you have been in NY for four years I remember when you moved where did the time go? You were such a wonderful cyber friend to me when I was going through the worse of my withdrawal!

My “bliss” has been in returning to Art…I was an Art major in college many years ago, but never finished or pursued it. Last September I enrolled in an “open studio” Art class and am loving it! I am learning to use pastels a medium I have never used before. I have been pleasantly surprised that I really like the medium because I had always thought I wouldn’t. I can get “lost” in the drawings and working the colors. Another blissful moment was when I completed my first piece and the instructor said (in front of the class) that mine was one of the best “first pastels” of all his students! He and I are probably about the same age (I won’t elaborate lol ) so he’s had quite a few students! I’ve even set up a mini studio in my home. I totally agree with your comment “good things can happen if you put yourself out there and are open to them...”
    Thanks, Cindy and congratulations on the recognition you've received in your art class! That's so great that you've set up a home studio... You should really run with your art and see what you can do with it! Here's to getting lost... Please drop me a line sometime and let me know how life is going for you...

What a great story, Mike! Congrats on your having, so bravely, keeping the right path. It's been a really long time, but improvement is still there. Your biking hobby has undoubtedly helping the neuroplasticity. Keep it up, and the following years will likely see even more of the progress. Your story is incredibly inspiring - when I was in my teens, I LOVED biking. I so hope this will become possible for me sometime in the future, too. I was looking for the "biking" emoticon, but didn't find one - this one is the closest I could get to using a keyboard ----> ó-/-ó
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

That was mystical that older woman cyclist you encountered! A guide…

I haven't had a lot of these moments in my life but it really felt that way. I may well have turned around if she didn't call out to me.

I want to testify that I have known you since 2006, and I know how sick you have been and for how long. (You do a great job of conveying the misery of trying to function in the world during this travesty.) The fact that now you are cycling like this is kind of miraculous! And, once it started, it happened pretty fast. This is going to really reassure a lot of people. And this substantial exercise and meditative discipline has just got to be great for your continued overall healing.

Thanks, Sheila. My cycling is both miraculous and potentially misleading. On the one hand I've come a long way and even a year ago I wouldn't have believed that I am doing some of the things that I am doing now on a bike. On the other hand the image of me cycling is misleading in the sense that it conveys health and vitality when in fact I am still struggling a great deal. But don't get me wrong cycling has been huge for me and my health is improving. What I am doing is miraculous considering where I've been.

One question – Did you have any interest in cycling before last year or did the idea come to you out of the blue? If it came to you out of the blue, do you remember what sparked it? Like a TV show, magazine article, mentioned by someone you know? Or did it just start as a sort of low-key, practical solution to a knee problem, that, with time, revealed itself to be your destiny?

I had done some road biking in the early 90s and really loved it but unfortunately I drifted back to less healthy things and then my bike was stolen. Before the recent knee injury I tried biking with the thought that it would be a gentler form or exercise than running and that it would add variety to my exercise routine. I did ride a few times but then my decades old tire came apart and I thought why not just put the money toward a more ridable bike. I didn't have any expectations for biking other than mixing up my fitness routine and varying the scenery a bit. So to answer your question it was just a low key practical solution but I had been reaching out a whole lot in prayer and then this came along. Again, it feels like gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    What a great story, Mike! Congrats on your having, so bravely, keeping the right path. It's been a really long time, but improvement is still there. Your biking hobby has undoubtedly helping the neuroplasticity. Keep it up, and the following years will likely see even more of the progress. Your story is incredibly inspiring - when I was in my teens, I LOVED biking. I so hope this will become possible for me sometime in the future, too. I was looking for the "biking" emoticon, but didn't find one - this one is the closest I could get to using a keyboard ----> ó-/-ó
    Thanks, Luc. Biking was impossible for me even a year ago so keep the faith. As you know the pattern of recovery is crazy and cruel. I was in hell for the first 4 years. Year 5 was better and then year 6 was a set back in a lot of ways. Thing have been improving for a couple of months now. Your recovery will likely be a lot faster than mine based on my history of polypharmacy and 17 years of use but i just wanted to describe how up and down things have been for me and that the body continues to heal for a very long time.

hi Mike,

i will not speak much, my english is bad,
    i read all your story, i already have read bouts of your story at PP forum, being myself in severe withdrawal, it has interested me; your bike story is nice,
    i am surprised of how many testimonies long termer need so many years to recover partly; there is hope but it is a very slow process;
    i am also looking for a passion but i am too broken actually.
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Hi, Stan-

Thanks for reading my post. It is a long, long road for some of us. I see you're at about 3 years.... I was in bad, bad shape at that point and I definitely could not have ridden a bike or done much of anything else at 3 years. I think you just have to work with what you've got and be very patient. During the worst times I tried to challenge myself a little each day but to also feel good about taking it easy when I needed to. I think meditation can be helpful and light exercise if you can tolerate it. Be strong and know that there is no time limit on healing.