Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retired Colonel sees need to help combat veterans with NDE experiences

Retired Colonel sees need to help combat veterans with NDE experiences

[This is not about psych med w/d, but note the many parallels.]

Herald Sun
    by Keith Upchurch
    25 Jan 2012

Diane Corcoran didn’t know what a Vietnam War soldier was trying to tell her in 1969 about his near-death experience on the battlefield. The term was unknown then, but Corcoran could see that what he had gone through was life-changing.

“I recognized that it was profound, extremely emotional for him,” she said. “And he was so worried that I wouldn’t believe him. But I said: ‘No, no. I believe you.’”

Since that day more than 40 years ago, Corcoran has made it her mission to learn more about those who report near-death experiences, especially war veterans.

Corcoran is president of the Durham-based International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS), which aims to educate people about the phenomenon and support those who have gone through it.

She’s a retired Army colonel and nurse, serving from the Vietnam War through Desert Storm, and holds a doctorate in management.

Gradually, Corcoran came to believe that many soldiers were having near-death experiences as bombs exploded and gunfire nearly took their lives. But many were uncomfortable sharing what happened, and felt they had no one to talk to.

But Corcoran knew they needed an outlet — someone to share their life-transforming experience with, who wouldn’t be dismissive or think they were crazy. That person was her.

She began by urging fellow medical professionals in the battlefield to take soldiers’ accounts seriously and to try to understand more about the near-death experience.

“I drove them crazy,” she said. “I was probably 15 years ahead of the curve. They weren’t sure if I was crazy or what was the matter with me. But I was really convinced how important it was for health care professionals to know.”

Corcoran spent years teaching about near-death experiences at major nursing conferences “and was sort of the go-to person in the military services,” she said.

“Now, 40 years later, I still feel it’s important for all health-care providers to know about the near-death experience.”

Veterans in particular, she said, often feel frustrated and alone, because medical professionals often don’t listen to their near-death accounts and take them seriously.

“There are so many near-death experiencers out there who don’t know we exist, and think they’re crazy, and feel very isolated,” Corcoran said. “We want to get the word out to people and help them know about our organization.”

Corcoran believes that the number of veterans with near-death stories will mount now that the war in Iraq has ended.

“It’s been very clear to me since the Iraq War started that we’re seeing a lot more head injuries, more amputees, and that there’s going to be a lot more of these people who’ve had near-death experiences,” she said. “They have a unique problem, because they’ve got physical trauma, psychological trauma, and then they’ve got their experience which is exceptional.”

If they try to tell a VA hospital doctor about it, she said, the doctor often lumps it in with a post-traumatic syndrome disorder diagnosis “and just dismisses it.”

“If they could own their own experience and had somebody who really knew about it and understood it and give them information, these young men and women could do a lot to heal themselves,” she said. “But instead, they’re just further compromised.”

Corcoran wants the military to address the issue, and has developed a training program to help them do so.

In Durham, she said, two groups meet monthly about their near-death experiences, but another group for veterans is needed.

“They are so frightened of losing their military benefits that they’re very hesitant to talk to anybody who really isn’t part of the military — certainly not the health-care professionals. They’re not going to tell them. So they’re kind of trapped in this situation, and it severely affects their spouses and family.”

Corcoran also works with a group called Purple Heart Homes that includes two war veterans — one who had head trauma and the other a double amputee. They’re raising money to help veterans with housing issues by building homes and remodeling others.

One of those veterans turned out to be a near-death experiencer, she said.

“He had classic after-effects,” Corcoran said. “But he was blown up and doesn’t remember having an experience.”

She said that’s often the case — many soldiers wounded by a bomb who don’t remember it, but are profoundly changed inside.

“So they’ve got all this strange stuff going on, and they don’t know what it’s about,” she said.

“When they return from war, they’re not the same. Their values often change, and without someone to help them explain it, they’re at a high risk for divorce and are very different people. And we have nobody addressing this for these poor veterans.”

Corcoran said these vets don’t need therapy. “They just need someone to listen and give them good information. Many are more emotional than they used to be and wonder what’s happening to them. They might cry at touching events where they wouldn’t have before. They just need to know that they’re perfectly fine, and that this is one of the after-effects that can eventually be integrated.”

Corcoran said she knows of one veteran who tried to discuss his near-death experience, but was medicated and sent to a psychiatric ward. “We’ve seen this reaction too often,” she said.

What she’d like to see are more support groups in VA hospitals for near-death experiencers, so they can share what they’ve been through and feel safe talking about it.

“With so many people injured in war, these numbers are huge,” she said. “People think that only one or two people have these near-death experiences, but we know there are many.”

[Thanks to nhne-pulse.org for story.]

http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story...e-Vietnam-War?

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Gotta love Western medicine. You've had an NDE? You must be psychotic. Here take these pills.. oh and we'll monitor your 'progress' in hospital.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Gotta love Western medicine. You've had an NDE? You must be psychotic. Here take these pills.. oh and we'll monitor your 'progress' in hospital.
    It's scary to realize how primitive and limited their knowledge base/understanding actually is. I think its evident that they are not thinking at all. I mean.......really.......how can they be so incredibly "out of it"?

Anyone who has studied basic biology should have reason to question the recommendations made by pharma companies in way of so-called "cures". It's beyond bizarre and the fact that this continues is even more bizarre, in light of all the information that has been and continues to be available these days. Anyway, I better not continue with my thoughts since, I will go into that "special" mode that I identified in the B&B thread. (lol)
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

It's scary to realize how primitive and limited their knowledge base/understanding actually is. I think its evident that they are not thinking at all. I mean.......really.......how can they be so incredibly "out of it"?

Anyone who has studied basic biology should have reason to question the recommendations made by pharma companies in way of so-called "cures". It's beyond bizarre and the fact that this continues is even more bizarre, in light of all the information that has been and continues to be available these days. Anyway, I better not continue with my thoughts since, I will go into that "special" mode that I identified in the B&B thread. (lol)

It's so heartbreaking to see what these Vets go through and how they are treated with such disrespect!

Anyway, a great article Sheila. So good to see that someone is taking these vets and their NDEs seriously and in a compassionate manner.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Ahhhh no. It's not that they are 'primitive' in their thinking. It's that 'they' worship science and only believe what empirically based studies 'reveal'. Anything else can't exist. Simple!

I had one bloke who is an atheist and can't cope with the idea of there being anything 'in the spirit' try to tell me that my NDE was because of the anaesthetic. Despite the fact that doctors confirmed they nearly lost me. I've had a number of anaesthetics but only one NDE. So I told this bloke NOT to try to explain my experience scienticically because you weren't there.

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Junior, indeed, those blokes are both linear, fearful and as you said very primitive in their perspective. I love your use and expression of the word blokes. It so strongly sums up their mentality. Dinosaurs!
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." -- Nietzsche

hahaha I guess my use of the word 'bloke' is just my Australian-ness (? is that a word? lol) showing through!

You know, there are some so called spiritual people who also stay within very narrow confines - people I used to go to church with. For 10 years I was an active member of the Anglican Church. I met some wonderful people and don't want to criticise them unduly but some were very challenged and scared by the very idea of asking questions of the Church and Christianity itself. They found me a bit hard to deal with since I was never one to just accept blindly and kept trying to tell me that any searching I did needed to be done with a Christian base since everything else out there is evil. I used to tell them that fear is a tool of the devil it didn't make any diffference.

Anyhow, in 1999 when I decided to quit IVF and then decided to go back to school, I found myself questioning whether I'd still be a Christian if I was raised in a non-Christian country. The likely answer was "no" and this made me think. I stopped going to Church soon after because once I started studying I just didn't have time. I explored some of my questions via the anthropology of religion (I did a BA with a psych major but cultural anthropology was a major interest) and a unit in world religions. It quickly became apparent that man-made religion is inextricably intertwined with politics and culture. I started to drift away from Christianity at this point but it wasn't until I searched a bit more into the origins of the Bible that I rejected it completely. Well almost. On the few occasions that I pray these days, I still feel the need to say "In Jesus' Name"......

Good for you for permitting yourself to be a critical thinker and for being so tolerant and accepting of different religions. This is a fantastic achievement considering you were not raised this way at all!

And good for you for educating yourself about the rest of the world! This is the way we're going to achieve global peace and collaboration -- getting to know "the other."

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Ahhhh no. It's not that they are 'primitive' in their thinking. It's that 'they' worship science and only believe what empirically based studies 'reveal'. Anything else can't exist. Simple!

This is why I consider their thinking to be "primitive". I consider empirically based studies to be "limited" in nature......... unable to "fully" or "completely" reveal or explain "all" that seeks to be explained and/or defined. So, I think perhaps my post was misunderstood or I did not express my thoughts in an articulate enough fashion which tends to occur frequently due to my on-going WD induced cog problems. (lol)

Bottom line is I am in agreement with you.

I had one bloke who is an atheist and can't cope with the idea of there being anything 'in the spirit' try to tell me that my NDE was because of the anaesthetic. Despite the fact that doctors confirmed they nearly lost me. I've had a number of anaesthetics but only one NDE. So I told this bloke NOT to try to explain my experience scienticically because you weren't there.

I would be so wonderful to have an "in person" group discussion on this subject as well as the topic of religion since, there is so much to explore, exchange and share which would make for an interesting evening.

Samsara