Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sheila’s Start-up – Psychic Phenomena

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    That is fantastic that the numbers of the visitors are growing on your blog, Sheila! And I confirm to what incredible extent finding something that motivates you helps in recovery. For a very long time, I was suffering from such akathisia, mental turmoil, and a googolplex of the most bizzare symptoms that my not leaving this world by the end of each day was a victory in itself. But I persevered. And even if now it's still difficult, the improvement is there. Also, for the first time since long years on the drugs, plus the hell of WD, I've been able (since about a month or two) to feel satisfaction with what I do - forum, making the Youtube videos, etc. And even it's still far from the anhedonia lifting totally, I've progressed a lot.

So, even if you're at the stage when it's very rough, try doing something that is possible in your state. Of course, in a situation when it's still too early, all is ok. In that case do not push it too much yet.

But again, if you feel that there's some spark of motivation, catch it and blow at it.
    Luc, I just had to bold text one section of your post since, like you, so many of us have lived the reality of what you so clearly described.

It was and IS such a victory each day to decide to continue to live, endure another day of inhumane torture and fight for one's recovery!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts since, it lets me know that others have been where I've been and seeing it in written form somehow makes my journey feel validated and recognized for the horror that it has been.

I'm just so pained when I see other people having to live through the same horrors. However, it is heartwarming and spiritually moving to witness the signs of recovery being exhibited by many of you. You all SO DESERVE to receive these gifts of recovery (reward for your hard and long journey).

Radiant Healing and Ultimate Recovery to Us All!

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

I haven't read the blog but I KNOW it is top quality. I know this from the quality of your posts here Sheila.

In the throes of my latest drop at the moment, while trying to edit my book (I'll post on that elsewhere), and I SHOULD be doing assignments for my grief and loss counselling units. Hmmm.....
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Despite the difficulty that you report, your finished products are ALWAYS of SUPERB QUALITY. Please do feel confident about this fact. As you know, most times we are our worst critic.

And it IS scary to display one's work out there for public scrutiny but you decided NOT to allow the fear to stop you from doing so. It takes a lot of courage to move past the apprehension and fear. Good for you for being so brave!
    Sam for the President!*

*Because Sam is 100% right here
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thank you very much for all you wrote, Samsara. You really get it.

And thank you for the compliment, Junior.

We are all moving forward. We’re helping each other. Things are definitely moving, and there are going to be easier and better days ahead.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

This is a very kind review of my most recent blog post, written by the man whose work my blog post was about.

His name is James Carpenter, Ph.D. He’s a clinical psychologist and parapsychologist in North Carolina with decades of experience. He recently wrote a revolutionary book about psi called “First sight: ESP and parapsychology in everyday life,” and just this month was awarded “the Charles Honorton Integrative Contributions Award by the Parapsychology Association at their annual conference. This award may be given to a member of the association ‘who has made significant research contributions that integrate parapsychology and mainstream science, and thereby has advanced the discipline of parapsychology’.”

My essay is an attempt to extend his model of psi in order to help people who are having a psi opening due to a neurological incident such as psych med withdrawal. It turns out that Dr. Carpenter is very aware of the dangers of psych meds – which, as we know, is all too rare among mental health professionals – and he writes very compassionately about it.

Here’s what he wrote –

Lucid summary and fascinating extension of First Sight theory by California psychologist.

Posted on August 27, 2012 by admin

Sheila Joshi, a clinical psychologist practicing in the bay area of California, has posted an essay that features a clear summary of major elements of the First Sight model of psi, and pointed out some meaningful applications of the model in the direction of the kinds of experiences that sometimes occur to people – we might say, befall them, when they are not prepared for them.

She is concerned especially with the flood of apparent psi experiences that may accompany acute brain dysfunction. In this situation, people sometimes tell of an overwhelming assault of images, voices, intuitions and emotions, some of which seem to refer to information genuinely coming from elsewhere. Science has been able to offer little light in which to understand these experiences, and psychiatry has tended to write them off as meaningless pathology. But sometimes they seem to be more than that.

As Joshi points out, these kinds of crises may be even more common now than in earlier times due to the widespread use of powerful psychiatric medications. This is because the side effects of such medications, especially if they are withdrawn abruptly, can occasionally be savagely disruptive (google Paxil psychosis, for example, and see how many hits pop up). In my opinion, Joshi is rightly concerned that these terrible reactions are not much known about and widely misunderstood.

If the basic tenet of First Sight is correct, and everyone carries about a continuous and normally unconscious engagement with a very extended world, then these experiences may be seen to have a kind of validity, at least sometimes. Such validation can be deeply important to someone whose core sense of self has been shattered by confusion and who is being told by experts that he or she must blame only a brain that was born defective for their suffering.

In addition to First Sight, Joshi finds the construct of kundalini especially helpful. Read her essay. She develops these points, and much more better than I can do.

http://firstsightbook.com/wp/

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

That's awesome, Sheila! Your blog is doing fantastic work - so much more people will learn about the danger of medications. It also helps you to express your feelings and grow on many levels. Tomorrow I will read it all and write more too (it's 5 a.m. here, so hard to concentrate). Take care!

bravo Sheila!...

As Joshi points out, these kinds of crises may be even more common now than in earlier times due to the widespread use of powerful psychiatric medications. This is because the side effects of such medications, especially if they are withdrawn abruptly, can occasionally be savagely disruptive (google Paxil psychosis, for example, and see how many hits pop up). In my opinion, Joshi is rightly concerned that these terrible reactions are not much known about and widely misunderstood.
    These are very important parts ot the article. And it is so true - when you google "Paxil psychosis", it takes up like a half of Google.
    Last edited by Luc; 08-28-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks Luc and Stan! That was the happiest I’ve been in a loooooong time. I’ve been really isolated with my ideas, and he gave me a lot of validation.

Also, I know of Carpenter through his substantial work in parapsychology, so I was very pleasantly surprised that he is also so familiar with the dangers of SSRIs. He really gets it!

-- Holger Kalweit

French Café Moderator Cosette123's Avatar
    Sheila you are amazing! You did a very good job!
    Severe anxiety since childhood .SSRIs for OCD.
    Major traumatism in my life:Prozac during short periods.
    Deroxat (=Paxil) during 7 years.
    Three unsuccessful atempts to quit.
    Deroxat free since may 2008 (Cold turkey )