Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone read this book?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    I meant Noble

Noble? I didn't know such a place existed. OKay I will check it out. Thanks Cindy! BTW, I did go into Barnes and Noble site and found ONE review on the book. Quite a very detailed review. I think I will spend more time finishing the read from the first link you posted. Anyway, check out the following review:

• On the whole, the book is engrossing and worth reading, though it has several aspects that are abstract. First the positive side: It is undeniable that the author has a scientific sense in presenting his ideas, and avoids mysticism and spiritual beliefs. He has exhaustively cited research in neuroscience, medicine and psychology, which lends credibility. The author¿s efforts to help readers ¿acquaint with self¿, are commendable. He explains and focuses on the root causes and not symptoms of stress and anxieties. He narrates with lucidity the nature of self, emotions, memories and their role in stress. His insights and perceptions are impressive.

The book has many paragraphs which have poetic touch, for instance his ¿encounter with the Alps and the Himalayas in the beginning of Chapter ¿ 6. The methods offered to overcome stress and emotional problems sound convincing, but also equally challenging. The negative aspects: the narration gets quite abstract, particularly in the first half of the book though the author has a poetic touch and good sense of humor. One needs to concentrate well to keep up with the flow of logic. The language is at times heavy.

The author deals with vast array of topics including, environment problems, future of mankind, evolution, neurological research and meditation. It is not easy for readers used to read fiction to grasp the holistic linkages which the author seems to present. On the whole, the second half of the book is practical and easier to grasp and enjoy. The illustrations are good and helpful in visualizing the abstract.

The dealing of issues like memory and its connection with sleep and theta brain waves is interesting and revealing. But be prepared it is quite a serious book and one cannot finish it in one go. Those with strong curiosity and fondness for exploring new horizons of knowledge will find the book engaging.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

I meant Noble

BTW, after posting to you, I tried to search out "Noble" but only came up with Barnes and Noble. That's when I realized the following:

I completely misunderstood your message. (LOL) Geez, I can be such a complete idiot (LOL) at times. The most hilarious part is that I felt pretty "with it" (lol) when I constructed that short post to you. Isn't that scary? (LOL).

I actually felt so engaged and helpful (lol).........but only to find out that my efforts were meaningless and embarrassing exhibits of my lingering cognitive impairments. (lol)

As you can see, I eagerly posted the review....... which apparently, you have already read. (lol)

No doubt this brain of mine still needs to accomplish a lot more re-wiring. :)

Samsara (Over and out-of-it in Goddessland. (lol) At least I can still cling to my delusional thoughts of being a goddess. (lol) This gives me much comfort in this moment. (lol)
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Sam...you are a Goddess (Stan we need a Goddess smiley)...if you still have "lingering cognitive impairments" I can't imagine what you will be like when you are completely recovered. When I was in your stage of w/d I could have never done the research and writing that you provide to everyone. You are ALWAYS so helpful and your efforts were not meaningless. I think posting the review is very helpful for those interested.

Also, while I was googling around "Noble" I found this book that I posted a link to in Stan's thread regarding neurons that you may also be interested in. (I posted the amazon link because sometimes their "samples" are better.)

http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Bra...5724132&sr=1-2

Sam...you are a Goddess (Stan we need a Goddess smiley)...if you still have "lingering cognitive impairments" I can't imagine what you will be like when you are completely recovered. When I was in your stage of w/d I could have never done the research and writing that you provide to everyone. You are ALWAYS so helpful and your efforts were not meaningless. I think posting the review is very helpful for those interested.

Gosh, Cindy, TBH it took me the longest time to try to think of how to respond to this post since, I was all choked up. Thank you so much for being so kind and generous! I try so darn hard you know but TBH, I really do wreck myself a lot of times but it keeps my mind, heart and spirit in a good place when I post and/or stay engaged in caring ways.

The research I did was in spurts, like a mad woman and TBH, despite having some basic academic education in some of the subjects, my mind was so bad that I didn't know what the heck I was reading. I still get quite confused and mentally overwhelmed. Although lately, I seem to be having these very brief windows where I'm beginning to be able to comprehend some of what I have researched but can only do so, for a few minutes at a time. If I try to read anything longer than that, I go into very bad mental confusion and overload.

I still can't read a novel nor watch anything lengthy on TV etc. Anyway, enough about "poor me" (lol). I realize that I'm not the only one suffering. :) and I do realize that you suffered your own WD nightmare and I'm so sorry you ever had to go through such a journey.

Yes, I guess your right re: others can view the review. Thanks for mentioning that.

Also, while I was googling around "Noble" I found this book that I posted a link to in Stan's thread regarding neurons that you may also be interested in. (I posted the amazon link because sometimes their "samples" are better.)

http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Bra...5724132&sr=1-2
    "Train Your Bra???" (LOL) Well, I didn't know that was possible but I will check into that ASAP. (lol)

Thank you for sharing this book title Cindy. I will have to check it out. You know, I have a large library of such books and so, I need to be careful not to spend money on duplicate type books. So many authors recycle information and ideas etc. that have been previously written about.

However, with that said, I completely agree with your book recommendations. It's so important to retrain our minds and to move ourselves into another direction, even if for moments at a time. These WD state minds are bulls and consequently, we must work with them with great determination and repetitiveness in order to create brief jolts of positivity.

I'm quite passionate about stress, anxiety, depression management, self-empowerment etc. These types of books are life altering in so many ways and I'm so glad you are interested in such as well as recommending such to others!

And yes, it would be great if Stan could find some god and goddess emoticons or anything mythological etc. Those would be so much fun and empowering to work with. (lol)

Thank you again Cindy. Your post was very meaningful to me in more ways than you know.

I still need to finish reading your first book excerpt. I only read a short bit and I lost ability to concentrate. It will likely take me many mini reading sessions to complete it. Just wish I could print it out since, it makes it easier for me to read however, my other problem is my mind gets very racey when I try to read (although not as severely as it used to be).

Take care and happy and empowering reading to you! Once again, it's so good of you to offer support to all us. I very much value and appreciate it!

Samsara

I found portions of the book here --

http://books.google.com/books?id=6Mf...page&q&f=false
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post

Thanks Sheila!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post

I know I thanked you for posting this but I'm so glad you did. I just reviewed the link.......It allowed me to view the chapters. I have many books that cover many of the topics he discusses and much of what he presents was part of my past studies however, what I seem to like about this particular book is that he addresses, not only the benefits of various relaxation/stress management techniques but also the limitations. This is very important and it appears that he is taking a balanced approach to certain subject matter. I really like that!

People have different personality styles, different dispositions, different energies and I truly believe that one size does not fit all. These factors must be taken into consideration.....One must customize one's stress management program according to these factors.

Anyway, there's more I can state but I'll keep this short.

I think I'm going to order this book. Cindy, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sold and I look forward to reading this book although, it will be read in tiny increments but that's okay.

Samsara

Wink

I think I am going to order it also...although (I'm a Barnes and Noble member) I'm going to wait for a coupon to get a discount. So If you get it read before me Sam please post any thoughts. I'm particularly interested in what he has to say on the Theta Rhythm. I have a couple of CDs downloaded on my iPod that I listen to from time to time that are supposed to use the "brain wave" technology to meditate. Don't know if that is what he will be talking about, but we'll see.

A Review from Amazon.ca

Product Description

Rewiring the Brain is not just another book on stress. It explores a daring and innovative path to accessing the power of consciousness as a more effective and lasting solution to tackle stress and emotional afflictions. The present remedies, such as drills of positive thinking and self-hypnosis through beliefs, accrue only temporary solace and euphoria that wear off sooner than expected.

Also our reasoning power is not able to rein in the unyielding force of negative emotions that fuel stress and depression. Hence, this book pursues a new approach. It outlines also certain ways that slow down aging process and enhance memory, attention span, and emotional equilibrium. The book is a fascinating journey to the inner world of self-its constructs of emotions, thoughts, and memories-to discover why one behaves the way one does.

We go through myriads of joys and sorrows in the long course of life, but hardly have the patience to pause and ponder over the reasons that make them. Does it matter? Yes, much more than perhaps one realizes. Stress should not be seen as an isolated issue. It betrays the quality of individual self in its ceaseless action of living. We have one and only life-the most precious thing we happen to possess, and it is but natural that we struggle hard to do our utmost to make it a wonderful experience.

Stress, in its overt or covert forms, works as a persistent factor that undermines the spontaneity, joy, and beauty of life. In this competitive and complex world, one faces countless factors of stress that are unavoidable and immutable, including illness, accident, or death. There are some other factors that can be altered through efforts, which play a more decisive role in life. These are individual attitude, mental tendencies, and ways one interacts with external world.

There is much truth in the saying "Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it." An objective understanding of these individual factors means that half the battle of tackling stress is won. Hence, the book seeks to help the reader face and understand the workings of inner self and its intricacies without resorting to psychological escape or suppression. Yet an objective understanding is only the first step. It does not resolutely change our mental habits and conditionings that are hardwired in the brain. This suggests the need to go beyond the remedies prevalent now and look for fundamentally new solutions.

In such effort, this book explores the possibility of using the power of consciousness to rewire the brain and tackle stress. The book has a refreshingly open-minded approach, devoid of religious ideologies or mystical beliefs, and does not involve psychological escapes.

The practical methods and benefits are outlined in a scientific spirit and correlated with research by neuroscientists, psychologists, and medical institutes. The book does not offer shortcuts or peripheral solutions, because none exists. Neither does it offer self-hypnosis and gratifying beliefs that are concealed in prescriptive actions and mental drills.
    With all that is stated in this review and apparently what is covered in the book, I still do believe in mental drills, affirmations a whole list of "quick fixes" since, they do have their value both short and long term IMHO.

Although this book is supposedly devoid of spiritual, religious ideologies, mystical and psychological escapes (as pointed out by the reviewer) I do believe that there is merit and value in implementing that which the book avoids discussing.

Also, appropriate therapy is often needed for some people and that cannot be devalued or dismissed as an essential. With all that said, I do enjoy exploring ALL forms of beneficial mental, spiritual and emotional engagement and I actually believe that as humans we need a combination of strategies to deal with life in general.

Anyway, I still wish to order this book.......it does seem to be a bit different than many of the other books I have.

Anyway, thought I'd post this review for everyone to view. Hope I'm not duplicating anything that has been presented. I still haven't completed reading the first link.

Samsara

I think I am going to order it also...although (I'm a Barnes and Noble member) I'm going to wait for a coupon to get a discount. So If you get it read before me Sam please post any thoughts. I'm particularly interested in what he has to say on the Theta Rhythm. I have a couple of CDs downloaded on my iPod that I listen to from time to time that are supposed to use the "brain wave" technology to meditate. Don't know if that is what he will be talking about, but we'll see.
    Will do Cindy although TBH, you will likely finish reading the book before I do even if you order it long after I do. (lol). I can't concentrate well and thus, I likely won't be ordering anytime soon due to this reason. However, I did place it on my Amazon wish list this evening since, I do want to order it in the near future.

Samsara