Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scientists Say Everyone Can Read Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Wow, how interesting that you had an NDE. (I’m sorry you had to go through the difficult aspects of one.) Did anything else happen during it in addition to the huge discovery that you were still you?
    Yes! I wish I'd been older than 10 because I didn't sort of question or make an effort to take it all in. I just went with it. Anyhow, it was Xmas Day (of all days) and I got this horrible pain in the lower right abdo. I knew nothing of appendicitis and just thought it was growing pains. LOL what an idiot! Anyhow because I've always hated people making a fuss when i'm not well, I didn't tell anyone about the pain until about 5pm that afternoon. A locum doctor examined me internally (the only pain that comes close is child birth) and said I had to go straight to hospital. They didn't operated until midnight because I'd had half a glass of water at 4pm - the only thing I'd had to eat or drink all day. Apparently my appendix ruptured while I still on the table so they were very worried about me.

I remember being in recovery and they kept making me lift my arm, lift my head etc, when my whole body just felt really heavy and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Eventually I did and that must have been when it happened because my next memory is one of hovering... not really being anywhere...and being aware of a tremendous sense of freedom. I knew I wasn't in my body. I also felt a profound sense of peace.

I felt myself drawn somewhere in a hurry. In hindsight it was probably the tunnel that everyone talks about but I don't remember. I am also convinced that a great deal happened between that point and the last thing I remembered before coming back... but that I am not allowed to remember it. I found myself in counselling with 2 or 3 men in white robes. They were talking me into coming back because I didn't want to! lol. Eventually I saw that they were right and agreed. They warned me that it would be hard but I assured them that I thought I could handle it. That alone helps me when things get tough because I know I made that choice. Finally, I recall a sense of sitting on the rafters. I was probably hovering up near the ceiling in my hospital room. I then rejoined my body.
    I don't know how much time passed between the time I left my body in recovery and the time I rejoined it in the ward.

I was a very sick young girl for another 3-4 days where all I did was sleep on and off. Eventually I started to feel better and in the second week regained my appetite. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. Mum says I was also quite lethargic for another 2 or so months afterward.

Oh and the ruptured appendix was the reason for my infertility. I am riddled with adhesions.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

OK, I hear you and I certainly don’t want to romanticize autism! Being autistic or loving someone autistic is a very hard road in life.

But I wasn’t thinking of savant-level capacities only. I was thinking of non-average capacities in a broader way. Just being different, people with autism contribute a different perspective to a situation and force us to do things differently. Just being exquisitely sensitive in non-average ways, they must be perceiving some things that others are not.

In fact, notice the parallel between some autistic people’s extreme sensitivity to stimuli and the similar sensitivity of people in early recovery from psych meds. Clearly, there are terrible challenges to living with both conditions, and I wouldn’t wish either on anybody. But, maybe there’s more for us to discover about the grains of gold hidden in both. I’m very curious about possibilities like these.

Oh don't worry. I'm well and truly over the diagnosis. It was 17 years ago!

In terms of what you say, I think you have a valid point. Jason looks at the world in a very different way to me and it can be really interesting sometimes. For example, how often do you think about railway crossings? Only when you are stuck at one? Yep. That was me too. Until Jason described them as 'dings'. Why? Because when the boom gates go down, the siren goes 'ding ding ding'. He has also informed me that some sound like 'dings' while others are 'tings'.

We are very lucky with our son too because he has a bubbly personality like me and a wicked sense of humour. Some of the things he says just crack us up. Also some of the things he finds funny.... And he has the most infectious laugh.

I actually wouldn't want him not to be autistic now because he wouldn't be the son I know and love :)

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Curiously enough, my mum had a smilar experience some 30+ years ago. When she was describing it, she mentioned quite a few inexplicable things about it. I may share it at some point in this thread.
    Please do!

Junior -- That’s very sweet about the “dings.” And, I think there’s more for me to understand about the autistic level of relating to the world -- which I think we all have as part of our repertoire. There’s something very interesting about relating to the world more in terms of its building block parts (shapes, sounds)…..

Holy cow! That was a very elaborated NDE you had! I’ve read and seen interviews of dozens of them, and yours has many of the classic, classic elements.

BTW, I know another woman who had fertility problems because of adhesions from a burst appendix in childhood.

How did this NDE affect you after it happened? Did you tell anyone about it? How did they respond?

Has any more of the “not allowed to remember” info come to consciousness in the years since then? How else does the NDE affect your life now, besides it being helpful in the hard times to remember that you were strongly encouraged to come back and chose to do so?

Ha ha! I’m very interested in this. (I’ll start a thread soon about my passion for psychic phenomena.) But please only answer what you’re interested in and let the rest go!

Luc – That goes for you, too! I vote to hear about your mother’s NDE, when and if you feel comfortable saying more.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Junior -- That’s very sweet about the “dings.” And, I think there’s more for me to understand about the autistic level of relating to the world -- which I think we all have as part of our repertoire. There’s something very interesting about relating to the world more in terms of its building block parts (shapes, sounds)…..

That is very true. Never quite thought of it that way. I know Jason experiences a lot through sound. When he was little he explored largely through touch.

Holy cow! That was a very elaborated NDE you had! I’ve read and seen interviews of dozens of them, and yours has many of the classic, classic elements.

BTW, I know another woman who had fertility problems because of adhesions from a burst appendix in childhood.

How did this NDE affect you after it happened? Did you tell anyone about it? How did they respond?

Well tbh I didn't know it WAS an NDE until I was in my 20s. I think I always knew it was significant but as a 10yo all I could do was think of it as a dream. I didn't tell anyone until I was about 20 at which point my mother confirmed that I had almost died.

Has any more of the “not allowed to remember” info come to consciousness in the years since then? How else does the NDE affect your life now, besides it being helpful in the hard times to remember that you were strongly encouraged to come back and chose to do so?

Sadly I remember nothing more. But as I said I dont believe I am meant to so I don't worry about it.
    I would love to know and understand more but I somehow believe I"m not meant to.... not in this lifetime anyway.

Ha ha! I’m very interested in this. (I’ll start a thread soon about my passion for psychic phenomena.) But please only answer what you’re interested in and let the rest go!

It says my message is too short.. hence this rubbish sentence :P

Thanks for sharing so much, Junior! I'm glad you got validation that you had, indeed, nearly died, and that this was an NDE.

There are some good, classic books on NDEs, and in the last few years there is just a flood of new books, TV shows, and Internet sites telling people's stories of their NDEs. At some point, if you're interested, you might look into them, and it might stimulate your thinking about your own NDE or even stimulate more recall....

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

I'll be back in the thread with you soon, folks. Today I asked my mum about this NDE I told you about. Unbelievable as it is, her account of it hasn't changed in the least in the last twenty five years or so. And she still remembers it very vividly. To Be Continued.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks for sharing so much, Junior! I'm glad you got validation that you had, indeed, nearly died, and that this was an NDE.

There are some good, classic books on NDEs, and in the last few years there is just a flood of new books, TV shows, and Internet sites telling people's stories of their NDEs. At some point, if you're interested, you might look into them, and it might stimulate your thinking about your own NDE or even stimulate more recall....

Thanks Sheila. I have already explored this topic. Since the adhesions were the cause of my infertility it was something I addressed why grieving for the fact I was infertile. One time I discovered someone who was doing a lecture on childrens' NDEs not far from where I live and I went. I also bought her book. I found that I had a lot in common with the children she had spoken to. I've read a few other books too. It is a fascinating topic. But I kind of got over it ....

Post 17 continued... Many years ago, my mum had a NDE (she had an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin). And, while in it, she was given a choice by this "person" on the other side - "you have to sacrifice the life of one of your sons to be able to go back" (there was me and my older brother - I was a couple of weeks old then). My mum wouldn't accept those conditions under any circumstances. So, she was told that in that case, she goes back, but she will be paralyzed from then on. Upon awakening, her entire left hand was moving uncontrollably in violent jerks, which abated after 30 mins.

If it was limited to only this, I'd rationalize it pretty much as a post-traumatic shock, on both physical and psychological level... Yet, there's more to it... For, prior to this part of the experience on "the other side", just after she had lost consciousness, she was able to witness from above (out-of-body mode) how the nurse, who had administered the penicillin a moment earlier, rushed in panic into our neighbour's flat to call for ambulance. And now goes the best part - my mum had never been in their flat before, but she was able to describe it, together with something very peculiar - the telephone the nurse was using was a very idiosyncratic one - shape, colours (different colour of the telephone itself and the handset), its placement on the wall, everything (and all of it totally out of sight from the staircase we shared with the neighbours). She saw and heard every word and move of the nurse and her utmost panic.

Some time later, she visited their flat for the first time... She was shocked to see it to be IDENTICAL what she had seen earlier "on the other side". Together with the telephone.

The *most* important element of this story is that if there's one person of whom accounts I'd trust 100% it is my mum, so, well, something is definitely going on...
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.