Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scientists Say Everyone Can Read Minds

Scientists Say Everyone Can Read Minds

http://www.livescience.com/220-scien...ead-minds.html

Scientists Say Everyone Can Read Minds

Ker Than
    Date: 27 April 2005 Time: 03:01 AM ET

Empathy allows us to feel the emotions of others, to identify and understand their feelings and motives and see things from their perspective. How we generate empathy remains a subject of intense debate in cognitive science.

Some scientists now believe they may have finally discovered its root. We're all essentially mind readers, they say.

The idea has been slow to gain acceptance, but evidence is mounting.

Mirror neurons

In 1996, three neuroscientists were probing the brain of a macaque monkey when they stumbled across a curious cluster of cells in the premotor cortex, an area of the brain responsible for planning movements. The cluster of cells fired not only when the monkey performed an action, but likewise when the monkey saw the same action performed by someone else. The cells responded the same way whether the monkey reached out to grasp a peanut, or merely watched in envy as another monkey or a human did.

Because the cells reflected the actions that the monkey observed in others, the neuroscientists named them "mirror neurons."

Later experiments confirmed the existence of mirror neurons in humans and revealed another surprise. In addition to mirroring actions, the cells reflected sensations and emotions.

"Mirror neurons suggest that we pretend to be in another person's mental shoes," says Marco Iacoboni, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine. "In fact, with mirror neurons we do not have to pretend, we practically are in another person's mind."
    Since their discovery, mirror neurons have been implicated in a broad range of phenomena, including certain mental disorders. Mirror neurons may help cognitive scientists explain how children develop a theory of mind (ToM), which is a child's understanding that others have minds similar to their own. Doing so may help shed light on autism, in which this type of understanding is often missing.

Theory

Over the years, cognitive scientists have come up with a number of theories to explain how ToM develops. The "theory theory" and "simulation theory" are currently two of the most popular.
    Theory theory describes children as budding social scientists. The idea is that children collect evidence -- in the form of gestures and expressions -- and use their everyday understanding of people to develop theories that explain and predict the mental state of people they come in contact with.

Vittorio Gallese, a neuroscientist at the University of Parma in Italy and one of original discovers of mirror neurons, has another name for this theory: he calls it the "Vulcan Approach," in honor of the Star Trek protagonist Spock, who belonged to an alien race called the Vulcans who suppressed their emotions in favor of logic. Spock was often unable to understand the emotions that underlie human behavior.

Gallese himself prefers simulation theory over this Vulcan approach.
    Natural mind readers

Simulation theory states that we are natural mind readers. We place ourselves in another person's "mental shoes," and use our own mind as a model for theirs.

Gallese contends that when we interact with someone, we do more than just observe the other person's behavior. He believes we create internal representations of their actions, sensations and emotions within ourselves, as if we are the ones that are moving, sensing and feeling.
    Many scientists believe that mirror neurons embody the predictions of simulation theory. "We share with others not only the way they normally act or subjectively experience emotions and sensations, but also the neural circuits enabling those same actions, emotions and sensations: the mirror neuron systems," Gallese told LiveScience.

Gallese points out, however, that the two theories are not mutually exclusive. If the mirror neuron system is defective or damaged, and our ability to empathize is lost, the observe-and-guess method of theory theory may be the only option left. Some scientists suspect this is what happens in autistic people, whose mental disorder prevents them from understanding the intentions and motives of others.

Tests underway

The idea is that the mirror neuron systems of autistic individuals are somehow impaired or deficient, and that the resulting "mind-blindness" prevents them from simulating the experiences of others. For autistic individuals, experience is more observed than lived, and the emotional undercurrents that govern so much of our human behavior are inaccessible. They guess the mental states of others through explicit theorizing, but the end result is a list -- mechanical and impersonal -- of actions, gestures and expressions void of motive, intent, or emotion.

Several labs are now testing the hypothesis that autistic individuals have a mirror neuron deficit and cannot simulate the mental states of others.

One recent experiment by Hugo Theoret and colleagues at the University of Montreal showed that mirror neurons normally active during the observation of hand movements in non-autistic individuals are silent in those who have autism.

"You either simulate with mirror neurons, or the mental states of others are completely precluded to you," said Iacoboni.
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Fascinating article. I knew mirror neurons were somehow deficient in people with autism (I've stopped researching autism now..my son is 21..lol) but I didn't know they were related to empathy. Thank you for posting this.
    Aropax (Paxil). Currently at 13mg and holding.
    Added Endep (amitrypline) 12.5 for sleep - 11 July 2013

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Fascinating article. I knew mirror neurons were somehow deficient in people with autism (I've stopped researching autism now..my son is 21..lol) but I didn't know they were related to empathy. Thank you for posting this.
    I'm glad you found the article interesting and helpful.

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

I have to think about this again, now that I tend to believe that consciousness originates mostly outside the brain in the zero point field and is only transduced by the brain.....I'll be baaaaack!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I tend to believe that consciousness originates mostly outside the brain in the zero point field and is only transduced by the brain.
    According to some theories, our brains are just an "interface" to the real place of origin of our thoughts, consciousness, etc. That would mean that this "whole thing" around us is more profound that we've ever thought. What I've learnt in WD beyond any doubt, is that "balance", "flow" (whatever we call it) is the key to everything. WD may be positioned the highest of everything on the ladder of "imbalance" - I don't want to sound too far "New Age-ical", but we're terribly out of sync with the "universe" (law of physics), and that is why we're going through what we're going through.

We need to wait for the balance to be back. And it will be back. It's just that the only way to get there, is through next and next of the days.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

Yes, Luc, this is what I tend to think nowadays -- that consciousness originates outside the brain. You make a very good point that one of the effects of w/d is to take us out of synch with the universe, the Tao -- at a physics level. I have to think about this more. Like a "phase shift."

I remember someone on pp years ago talking about the first few days of her Paxil CT and saying she felt like she was located several inches to one side of her body.

To get back to the original post from Samsara -- mirror neurons are sure a fascinating discovery. And to combine the biological level with the quantum physics level, maybe mirror neurons help us to achieve a synchronization with another person, and that synchronization -- creating a field out of two or more minds -- makes new things possible. Like the Maharishi effect where they got a bunch of people to meditate on peace together and the crime rate went down.

Now, having said that, I just have to add that I tend to think that autism -- even with its obvious challenges and limitations -- serves a unique purpose for the individual and the community. I don't know a lot about it, but I know autistic people often have capacities that the average person does not.

<< synchronized meditation

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Just to clarify re: autism - the ones with special abilities, such as being able to do amazing mathematical calculations or reproduce in detail a scene viewed for just a few minutes (Stephen Wiltshire in England can do this) are called savants. It is not as common as people think. I remember being asked that question frequently when my son was younger. What special skill does my son have? The answer is none. I believe the reason people think so many with autism have special skills is that we see it reported on so often in the media. In reality, it is probably only a small percentage of those with autism.

Something else of interest in people with autism - they usually have amazing memories. Donna Williams - a high functioning Aussie with autism - once described it as being able to scroll through her mind easily. Ask her who she is and she could not answer. Ask her about a memory and it was easy. Anyhow, from what I can discern the reason for this is high levels of glutamate. In high levels it is good for learning, memory and IQ but if the levels become too high, it can become toxic. It has been suggested that this is the link between bipolar - where excess glutamate triggers mania - and autism. Interestingly, I have a sibling and a maternal uncle with bipolar while my brother and I are considered to be of higher than average intelligence.

"There are things that are known and things that are unknown; in between are doors." - Anonymous

As far as consciousness - I once had a near death experience and that while I was out of my body "I" was the exact same personality (if that is the right word?) as I'd always been. I was energy / spirit, call it what you will... but "I" was still me.

Wow, how interesting that you had an NDE. (I’m sorry you had to go through the difficult aspects of one.) Did anything else happen during it in addition to the huge discovery that you were still you?

Just to clarify re: autism -

OK, I hear you and I certainly don’t want to romanticize autism! Being autistic or loving someone autistic is a very hard road in life.

But I wasn’t thinking of savant-level capacities only. I was thinking of non-average capacities in a broader way. Just being different, people with autism contribute a different perspective to a situation and force us to do things differently. Just being exquisitely sensitive in non-average ways, they must be perceiving some things that others are not.

In fact, notice the parallel between some autistic people’s extreme sensitivity to stimuli and the similar sensitivity of people in early recovery from psych meds. Clearly, there are terrible challenges to living with both conditions, and I wouldn’t wish either on anybody. But, maybe there’s more for us to discover about the grains of gold hidden in both. I’m very curious about possibilities like these.

-- Holger Kalweit

As far as consciousness - I once had a near death experience and that while I was out of my body "I" was the exact same personality (if that is the right word?) as I'd always been. I was energy / spirit, call it what you will... but "I" was still me.
    Curiously enough, my mum had a smilar experience some 30+ years ago. When she was describing it, she mentioned quite a few inexplicable things about it. I may share it at some point in this thread.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.