Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Synchronicity

Synchronicity

...Synchronicity is when two or more things happen close together in time that seem strangely connected, when there is no obvious way, in our conventional understanding of reality, that they could be connected.

For example, I was on the phone once with someone who was on the other side of the U.S. from me, and who was saying, "It's like being a butterfly," just as a butterfly flew past my window. And, it's very rare for me to see butterflies out my windows.

Another example -- I was reading a biography about a woman who lived in Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp in Florida, which I had never heard of. That week, I was idly flipping TV channels, and stopped at a police series I had never even heard of before. I started watching it, and this episode turned out to be about a murder at Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp in Florida. On top of that, there was a plethora of synchros for my life in the episode, including a plot point of the FDA approving a drug it shouldn't have.

There is debate over whether these events are statistically rare, but essentially meaningless, random coincidences, or whether they show that there is an underlying framework to reality that we don't fully know about yet.

Some people think that synchronicities are caused by unconscious psychokinesis. In other words, I wanted to see a butterfly at that moment, so I unconsciously dragged one over from wherever it was before.

Interestingly, there is an explosion of books and conferences going on right now about synchronicity!

Back in the 1900s, the Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung did a lot to popularize the idea.

"Following discussions with both Albert Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, Jung believed that there were parallels between synchronicity and aspects of relativity theory and quantum mechanics. Jung was transfixed by the idea that life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order....This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in an orderly framework and was the focus of that orderly framework and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise but also having elements of a spiritual awakening." (Wiki)

What does synchronicity have to do with w/d?

...Some of us got on these meds in the first place because we were trying to keep going along a socially- and familially-approved path. Some of us got on these meds for different reasons, but I think the issue of feeling pressured to conform is pretty universal.

For awhile, the meds supported our attempts to fit in, perform, keep up. But, of course, the cost was tremendous -- our adrenals were mined, and, in the end, we still became unable to keep up and fit in, after all.

Having to get off these meds and then recover from them is forcing us to take better care of ourselves than we ever have in our lives. We're all looking around us and reconsidering things we had taken for granted -- starting with the role of doctors and Big Pharma in our lives, and proceeding from there to the big questions of what our lives are about and what to do with them.

I feel like I have learned the hard way that my life works better not when I try to conform to what is considered normal, but when I do exactly what I want to do. This is a lot harder than it seems! I was raised in a country founded by Puritans and in a family that's very driven. I have been so trained to make myself do what I "should" and to "do my homework before I go out and play" that it's super-hard to trust that if I follow my intuition, I will be safe, have enough money, be a good person, etc.

(You may be thinking that you or someone you know does *too much* of what they want to do, and is not disciplined enough. I would argue that when you're doing what you really, really want to do -- ie pursuing your dreams -- you're not so interested in over-indulgence.)

As I emerge from the depths of w/d, and try to live in a new way, I am finding that I have a lot more synchronicities than ever before. When I get too caught up again in "shoulds" or when the w/d symptoms flare up too much again, the synchros stop happening. So, it seems that when I am healthier and following my inner lights, I get synchronicities. And they are a sign that I'm in the flow, where I'm optimally supposed to be.

So, being forced by SSRI w/d to live better has led me to discover synchronicity. Synchronicity, in turn, is leading me toward other intriguing things! More on that later!

[Originally posted by moi April 2011 on SA]

Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Great post Sheila............Boy can I ever relate to much of what you have written.

Interestingly, I've had the opposite of what you have experienced in regard to when synchronicities have occurred in life. Most of mine have occurred during times of great emotional distress and during the many years of psyche drug WDs. I was so grateful when they happened since, they provided not only an anchoring effect but also inspiration and courage.

I think I have an article that mentions that synchros can occur when one's psyche is in great need and/or great distress. I'll have to re-read that article to see IF I'm recalling this correctly.

I've read that intuition can sometimes be intertwined with synchronicity. I was a very intuitive child and remained so but I found that psyche drug use did not dampened this down and psyche drug WD heightened intuitiveness within me as well as paranoia (lol).

During these WD years I'd blame most of my very strong intuitive feelings on being paranoid only to find out later that they were indeed accurate 90 percent of the time. However, I also was paranoid and perceived some things other than what they actually were. (lol)

I suspect my intuitive nature will return to baseline once I'm recovered although, who knows perhaps the levels may remain higher than prior baseline. Time will tell. It will be interesting to see if I experience more synchros as you have once I'm recovered and living more authentically.

Forgive me If I've misinterpreted some of your points and feel free to correct me if I did. I realized this evening that I misinterpreted one of Luc's comments in another thread. I had a delayed "aha" moment. (lol)

Many More Synchro moments to You!

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Interestingly, I've had the opposite of what you have experienced in regard to when synchronicities have occurred in life. Most of mine have occurred during times of great emotional distress and during the many years of psyche drug WDs.
    Yes, I think my theory has to become more complex, because I have read now about just about every psychological state being psi-conducive. Some people claim they have to be calm to be more psychic. Others say they have to be distressed to be more psychic. Some say both!

I'm coming to think that being psychic is our universal, continuous state, and it's more a question of how much we*block* it, and that blocking has to do with personality / perception style and psychodynamic issues.

I was a very intuitive child and remained so but I found that psyche drug use did not dampened this down and psyche drug WD heightened intuitiveness within me as well as paranoia (lol)....I suspect my intuitive nature will return to baseline once I'm recovered although, who knows perhaps the levels may remain higher than prior baseline. Time will tell.
    I was so, so, so paranoid in w/d, that I became much less intuitive than I had been before meds and on meds.

My prediction is that your intuitiveness will remain heightened even once you recover from the meds. I theorize that this is one of the cosmic purposes of this ordeal, plus I think it's a general trend in the population.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Try to keep this short by saying that I agree and understand all you have articulated in your response to my first quote. We are all different and our sensitivities also change throughout life (WD aside). It makes sense to me that one would be more receptive to synchros and intuitiveness etc. when one is in a calmer state. However, as I mentioned, and as others report and as you acknowledge, the opposite can be true.

In response to the second half of your post. I understand the WD induced paranoid. It's horrible to live with such isn't it? In regard to heightened post recovery intuitiveness...........honestly I pray to God that I do not experience a higher degree than my baseline (prior to AD and WD). Perhaps I can't fully appreciate the benefits of having a heightened intuition beyond what I currently experience. Actually, the thought of it bothers me. (lol)

I believe those who are less intuitive live more comfortably since, they do not sense, see, feel and observe as much. As the saying goes: "ignorance is bliss" . There IS something to be said for that IMHO. (lol)

Samsara
    Nobody's gonna break my stride......nobody's gonna slow me down......Oh no, I gotta keep on moving." (Men at Work)

"To face my trials with the grace of a woman rather than the grief of a child". (Veronica A. Shoffstall)

40 Months drug-free from kindling & tolerance WD (Doxepin) + many past C/T & C/switches from benzos, ADs, and APs, Lithium & thryoid h rx'd for severe GI symptoms.

I think there's a lot you can do to shut intuition down, so you can do that if you want to.

There's also a lot you can do to learn to manage your intuition, have self-protective boundaries, turn it on and off, get support, etc. so that it can feel like a blessing, not a curse.

Right at this moment, you are 31 months post-taper, and you will probably feel differently about a lot of things when you have healed more.

But, the bottom line is that you have a lot of choice and control.

-- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I think there's a lot you can do to shut intuition down, so you can do that if you want to.

Thanks for your response and for sharing. I will have to look into that IF I experience a heightened degree.

There's also a lot you can do to learn to manage your intuition, have self-protective boundaries, turn it on and off, get support, etc. so that it can feel like a blessing, not a curse.

I'm very comfortable with my base-line level and in fact even comfortable with the increased level that I experience during WD. I agree with you re: it is a blessing in so many ways. It serves me very well PROVIDING I TRUST and make decisions accordingly. My problem was, up until about a year ago, dismissing and/or minimizing my intuitiveness.

I was taught to it at a very early age and I always tried to ignore it but it never went away, nor did in decrease despite not nurturing and honouring it. But as you likely know from personal experience, when such feelings prove to be accurate 90 percent of the time, one then learns that one MUST learn to TRUST and go with it since, dismissing such leads negative to consequences re: hurt, suffering etc.

Besides, I'm sick of being angry at myself for not listening to my intuitive energy. I don't know if you can relate but I feel as if I have abandoned myself when I ignored what I KNEW to be true. I have to take personal responsibility for that and to do better for myself in the future. Besides, TBH, I feel more at peace within when I honour my intuitiveness. I am far less conflicted (not at war with myself).

Hope I"m wording things well. Now, at this stage in my life, I truly value intuitive information and I've never been more comfortable trusting it. With that said, I just don't wish for the levels to increase. With that said, I'll have to further explore what you have presented.

BTW, for the purposes of clarification, I don't consider myself to be psychic however, I do realize that some believe that intuitiveness is a form of psychic energy. It does make sense.........I can see how that can be the case but I suppose I'm not comfortable seeing myself as psychic. (lol) Perhaps that's an issue I need to work on especially IF my levels should increase.

Right at this moment, you are 31 months post-taper, and you will probably feel differently about a lot of things when you have healed more.

That's a very good point that I have not considered when discussing this topic.

But, the bottom line is that you have a lot of choice and control.

This is what I do not understand and I will have to look into this IF things become more than what I wish. TBH, I don't believe it's a choice for me nor do I feel as if I can control my intuitiveness. It feels like such a part of me and as I mentioned, I value it IF it remains at it's current level. In fact, I wouldn't feel myself if it were to disappear.

It's apparent that you know more about the subject than I and thus, this is the reason why I currently do not "get" what you have presented. BTW, I'm not, in any way, challenging what you have shared. I just haven't researched the subject so I will admit that I am quite ignorant and ill equipped to fully understand how I could possibly control or regulate the flow of intuitive energy.

Well, it's my responsibility to do some further research. (lol)

I thank you so much for responding Sheila! I do value your feedback since, it will provoke me to look further into this subject should my intuitiveness evolve into the "genius" category (LOL). I'm just joking BTW re: genius. I'm more than happy to be far less than that. (lol)

Here's to Honouring Intuitive Energy!

Samsara

Great synchronicity anecdote!

http://teapotshappen.com/about/

-- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Great synchronicity anecdote!

http://teapotshappen.com/about/
    Very interesting. In the blog, he also says "we're all one". So true.
    Keep walking. Just keep walking.

The Internet is a synchronicity dynamo.

-- Holger Kalweit

Nice ideas about synchronicity from Cari Murphy, coach and author --

What is Synchronicity?

I was asked this question yesterday and decided to delve into its answer a little more deeply. My initial response was the following: Synchronicity is the process whereby our energy flows easily and beautifully and attracts to us all the ideal people and events that provide the perfect opportunity for growth. Awareness is key! There are no coincidences. Things, people, and circumstances come into our path for a reason. Synchronicity is the outward manifestation of our thoughts brought to us by our soul, linking and connecting us with others or with events that serve as meaningful opportunities that we have attracted into our experience to assist us in gaining clarity or evolving in some way.
    ….

When we open to these events, they can help us make choices in our lives, because they are a form of guidance from the Universe. They aren’t always profound, but they ARE meaningful and represent the inner workings and guidance of the Universe.
    ….

To quote Deepak Chopra:

“My own life has been touched often by synchronicity, so much so that now I get on an airplane expecting the passenger in the next seat to be surprisingly important to me, either just the voice I need to hear to solve a problem or a missing link in a transaction that needs to come together….

… I believe that all coincidences are messages from the unmanifest – they are like angels without wings, so to speak, sudden interruptions of life by a deeper level …. “

Often these meaningful coincidences occur at critical points in our lives, and they can be interpreted as containing the seeds of future growth. Synchronistic events really involve the meaningful unfoldment of potential. They are often associated with periods of transformation; for example, births, deaths, falling in love, intense creative work, or even a change of career/profession. It is as if this internal restructuring and/or mental energy produces external opportunities for us outward into the physical world.

In conclusion, I feel that synchronicity offers a beautiful bridge between our inner reality and the divine workings of spirit and our external reality that is revealed to us through our experiences. When we recognize these incidents as opportunities, life becomes VERY interesting! There is a sense of intrigue coupled with amusement when we start seeing things in new ways that broaden our perspective and engage our powers of manifestation with even greater intensity.

Go out and there enjoy this beautiful day and pay attention to the seemingly random coincidences that enter your experience. Challenge yourself to detect the deeper meaning to the divine patterns and find value in what is being offered to you! Be open to new perspectives and allow your mind its full, creative potential!

http://carilmurphy.wordpress.com/200...synchronicity/

-- Holger Kalweit