Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Low blood sugar

Bruno -- I knew about the cholesterol myth, but a lot of what you wrote was new to me and very interesting! Thanks!
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
    I'm finding this site counterproductive. If you read my posts, you would see I was on a Mediterranean diet, except in vegetarian form. This diet is known to reduce inflammation. I take flax oil for the same reason. I meditate, do qi gong and spend time in nature every day...all to promote healing and deep relaxation. I've been seeing a naturopath for 2 years working on all the causes and conditions that have created inflammation. My cholesterol is only mildly elevated for a normal person, but higher than recommended for diabetics. Yes, I know all about the theories that cholesterol has no influence on heart disease, etc. I do A LOT of reading and research and don't take the western model as correct for most things. The naturopath (doctor of chinese medicine) and I both consider that the degree of stress and loss in my life through the past number of years have been a major factor in the inflammation. I couldn't do anything about those things, but have done my best to continue with as many self care practices as possible through this time.

It seems like when I write, everyone assumes I'm a person who has never gone beyond the superficial with health and healing. On the contrary, I've been on a healing path for over 30 years and have explored everything from holotropic breathwork to meditation to supplements to many other alternatives. I didn't just wake up yesterday and discover I had health problems..or decide to go off my antidepressants. As I said in my journal post, I've been working with the naturopath and my own healing practices for 2 years to get me to the point of getting off the drugs.

Unlike everyone else on here, I've had only very mild symptoms from wd..which primarily occurred in the first few days of coming down each time. And yes, I know I'm not doing it all in the way you guys think is the "Right" and "Only" way. Instead of imposing all your ideas on me, you might be interested in what I'm doing and have done which is allowing me to reduce with little impact on my life.

I don't think I'll continue on here...as it's primarily proving to be a source of aggravation, where I'm otherwise feeling quite calm and content in the rest of my life.
    sorry you feel that way. I wish you luck in your endeavor. Peace
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Bruno -- I knew about the cholesterol myth, but a lot of what you wrote was new to me and very interesting! Thanks!
    hi Sheila,

I find subjects such as this quiet interesting myself. It is very unfortunate how so called science can lead us all in the wrong direction. This has clearly happened in the medical specialty of psychiatry and when one begins to unravel things, ask question, dig for answers, and then present with a new way of thinking, people tend to not like this. I am not saying everything I believe is true in regards to what I was discussing with freespirit, but what I am saying is when we look at our ancient ancestors and how they evolved, we clearly see that saturated fat was what made up of the majority of their diet. You all can take that info, and the plethora or other info on this subject, and do what you want with it. We all have the right to choose what goes in our mouths. Regardless of whether one chooses to go based on the recommendations of modern medicine (mind you that the human species has never had a diet even close to what the food pyramid displays) or on the advice of such people as Weston Price, I think the most important thing is to make certain you are eating real food. Often, we consume food like products.

I find the subject of foods and genetic expression very interesting. The field of Nutrigenomics is a fairly new field and there has been some attention being made to it. We now know that food actually turns on and off certain genes and that diet can dramatically alter your health for good or worse. So, one must experiment. Look and what your great grandparents ate. What about your genetic ancestry?

Anyways, hope i didnt (ok lets be honest I did) offend anyone and I wish everyone else luck on their healing.

Bruno – My thinking about Western medicine and alternative paradigms has become so radicalized since I first realized my ADs had caused me serious problems. There is a lot of ancient wisdom for us to re-discover and then new knowledge coming down the pike.

Epigenetics is the wave of the future. Genetic determinism is being shown to be just a small part of the story. Maybe you will end up going into Nutrigenomics professionally! I’m sure you’ve seen that study from somewhere in Scandinavia showing that famine experience in one generation affected gene expression in later generations. Amazing!

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    Bruno – My thinking about Western medicine and alternative paradigms has become so radicalized since I first realized my ADs had caused me serious problems. There is a lot of ancient wisdom for us to re-discover and then new knowledge coming down the pike.

Epigenetics is the wave of the future. Genetic determinism is being shown to be just a small part of the story. Maybe you will end up going into Nutrigenomics professionally! I’m sure you’ve seen that study from somewhere in Scandinavia showing that famine experience in one generation affected gene expression in later generations. Amazing!
    I agree, Sheila. My experience with Psychiatry has led me into a whole new world of health and healing.

I have not seen that study but will look into it. That sounds very interesting. I had already known about this phenomenon but hadnt heard about the study. Thanks!

-- Holger Kalweit