Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low blood sugar

Low blood sugar

I'm wondering whether anyone else is having trouble with low blood sugar during withdrawal. I have diabetes and am on a very low dose of meds and mostly manage through diet and exercise. I'm having frequent bouts of very low readings, which just adds to the crappy symptoms (more headache, muscle pain, irritability, obsessive thinking). I realize I need to see my doc to talk about this...but was just wondering if others are having this problem too.

J

i read a few cases who do not had diabetes before paxil, develop diabete during paxil, were medicated for, and after 1 or 2 years off, the blood sugar become normal and they slowly stopped the diabetes meds
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

i had low blood sugar as a result of taking the drugs. It is now normal if I eat correctly (No sugar, breads, juices, etc) and it seems much better if I eat smaller meals more frequently. Do you have a glucose monitor?
    2004: Effexor-150mg
    2006: switch to paxil-up to 40mg
    2008: after paxil taper failed, went back on effexor-250mg
    2009: quit effexor cold turkey. Switched to zoloft-100mg
    2010: zoloft taper failed, switched to celexa-30mg
    October 2011: tapered celexa in one week

that's interesting news regarding Paxil. I'd always thought the remeron played a role in my developing diabetes. Most SSRI's are known to raise blood sugar.

I have a glucose meter and monitor at least once or twice a day...more if it seems to be fluctuating. I eat more or less a vegetarian version of the Mediterranean diet. No sugar, white flour, no juice, or anything too high in carbs..all whole grains, etc. The thing is, I can eat a normal meal with protein, veg and brown rice and my blood sugar is exactly the same after 2 hours as it was before I ate. I'm trying to lose weight, but have to eat more to keep my blood sugar up. I suspect I may be able to go down on the diabetes meds.

i think you would really benefit by increasing your fat intake. This provides a sort of time released fuel: butter, coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, and some foods like nuts and the like

I already eat nuts and seeds daily and use olive oil in all cooking. I have high cholesterol, so need to be careful about not eating too much fat. The thing is, this diet has been just fine for 5 years in terms of keeping my blood sugar balanced. It's only been since coming down on Remeron that it's been a problem.

remeron, paxil, they all can play on sugar
    12 years paxil(9 years only 10 mg) - cold turkey(1,5 month) and switch celexa tapered 1 year 20 mg
    62 years old - for GAD - 4 years 3 months meds free [since april 2009]

vegetables soup - orange (vit C) - curcuma - some meat or fish

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
    I already eat nuts and seeds daily and use olive oil in all cooking. I have high cholesterol, so need to be careful about not eating too much fat. The thing is, this diet has been just fine for 5 years in terms of keeping my blood sugar balanced. It's only been since coming down on Remeron that it's been a problem.
    sorry freespirit, but I dont completely believe in the conventional wisdom on high cholesterol. If we go back and examine traditional societies, we can see, clearly, that these people had high fat diets. They thrived on saturated fats and we as humans also evolved on fats. Fat meant survival.

You can go search for such phrases as "cholesterol myth" and see many of the research surrounding this. The diet-heart disease-saturated fat theory was propagated by a few greed people involved with the food industry and ignorant docs ran with this. Current food recommendations are based on politics and economics, not health. No human species has EVER had a diet resembling that of which is recommend by the gov and the Food Pyramid.

With that said, I do believe that having high cholesterol does mean something. Cholesterol in and of itself is NOT bad, rather, it is a sign that something is unbalanced as in inflammation. Typically one is inflamed if their cholesterol is high.

Actually, using olive oil for high heat cooking is not doing you any good as most veggie or seed oils have certain chemical reactions that occur when heated and this in turn creates a toxic effect on our bodies. Corn, soy, canola, flax, etc should not be used for high heat cooking. Use what humans have been using for thousands of years--butter, ghee, coconut oil (virgin), lard, etc.

I would highly recommend you read about Weston A Price and his work he did. I also encourage you to find out the root cause of your high cholesterol.

peace

I'm finding this site counterproductive. If you read my posts, you would see I was on a Mediterranean diet, except in vegetarian form. This diet is known to reduce inflammation. I take flax oil for the same reason. I meditate, do qi gong and spend time in nature every day...all to promote healing and deep relaxation. I've been seeing a naturopath for 2 years working on all the causes and conditions that have created inflammation. My cholesterol is only mildly elevated for a normal person, but higher than recommended for diabetics. Yes, I know all about the theories that cholesterol has no influence on heart disease, etc. I do A LOT of reading and research and don't take the western model as correct for most things. The naturopath (doctor of chinese medicine) and I both consider that the degree of stress and loss in my life through the past number of years have been a major factor in the inflammation. I couldn't do anything about those things, but have done my best to continue with as many self care practices as possible through this time.

It seems like when I write, everyone assumes I'm a person who has never gone beyond the superficial with health and healing. On the contrary, I've been on a healing path for over 30 years and have explored everything from holotropic breathwork to meditation to supplements to many other alternatives. I didn't just wake up yesterday and discover I had health problems..or decide to go off my antidepressants. As I said in my journal post, I've been working with the naturopath and my own healing practices for 2 years to get me to the point of getting off the drugs.

Unlike everyone else on here, I've had only very mild symptoms from wd..which primarily occurred in the first few days of coming down each time. And yes, I know I'm not doing it all in the way you guys think is the "Right" and "Only" way. Instead of imposing all your ideas on me, you might be interested in what I'm doing and have done which is allowing me to reduce with little impact on my life.

I don't think I'll continue on here...as it's primarily proving to be a source of aggravation, where I'm otherwise feeling quite calm and content in the rest of my life.

freespirit -- You are a highly knowledgeable person. I see that. Keep in mind that you joined this forum right when its community was going through a very difficult time. Let's end on a good note. We all wish you the very best in your healing.
    Meds free since June 2005.

"An initiation into shamanic healing means a devaluation of all values, an overturning of the profane world, a peeling away of inveterate handed-down notions of the world, liberation from everything preconceived. For that reason, shamanism is closely connected with suffering. One must suffer the disintegration of one's own system of thought in order to perceive a new world in the higher space."
    -- Holger Kalweit